More Thyroid Info....related to post bleow..SYNTHROID is BAD

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by achy, Sep 23, 2002.

1. achy

achy New Member

I too am on thyriod therapy to combat this DD.
    If you want really good, precise info go to:
    http://www.drlowe.com
    I have spoken to Dr Lowe myself...he seems to be a really nice person, very willing to help anyone...or anyone's doctor!! Send him an e-mail and ask him questions, tell him what your taking and he will reply! He is also willing to treat you long distance, by communicating with YOUR doctor. I have not taken him up on this since my doc is knowledgeable with thyroid therapy.

ONE MORE NOTE!!!
    I have done many hours of reading on this and keep seeing the same info..also noted at Dr. Lowes site.....

SYNTHROID is the LEAST EFFECTIVE of all the thyroid supplements. For T3&T4 therapy, switch to Armour Thyroid.
    For just T3 therapy try Cytomel.

I have seen some improvement with the Cytomel...I am also loosing weight!!! hurray!!!

good luck
    Achy
  2. achy

achy New Member

I too am on thyriod therapy to combat this DD.
    If you want really good, precise info go to:
    http://www.drlowe.com
    I have spoken to Dr Lowe myself...he seems to be a really nice person, very willing to help anyone...or anyone's doctor!! Send him an e-mail and ask him questions, tell him what your taking and he will reply! He is also willing to treat you long distance, by communicating with YOUR doctor. I have not taken him up on this since my doc is knowledgeable with thyroid therapy.

ONE MORE NOTE!!!
    I have done many hours of reading on this and keep seeing the same info..also noted at Dr. Lowes site.....

SYNTHROID is the LEAST EFFECTIVE of all the thyroid supplements. For T3&T4 therapy, switch to Armour Thyroid.
    For just T3 therapy try Cytomel.

I have seen some improvement with the Cytomel...I am also loosing weight!!! hurray!!!

good luck
    Achy
  3. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

doesn't work for everyone, plus most endoc's and GP's refuse to prescribe it. (been there, done that!) Armour thyroid hormones shelf life is very questionable and each batch made is different in strength than the others, so that's another reason it's not reliable. I don't know what the shelf life is for Armour, and I don't know if pharmacists know either. Some pharmacies don't even carry it! I haven't had any problem with Synthroid, and have been on it since 1992, so don't know why you say it's bad?

Marilyn :)
  4. kadywill

kadywill New Member

my TSH stays within the normal range and if I don't, it's high. What's the problem? I don't get it.
    Love,
    Kady
  5. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I don't have a clue about my levels. My endoc treats me by how I feel, not by what the tests say. He says the tests are inaccurate and he's on the Best Doc's list or whatever that list is called, (super doc's?) so I know he's not shootin' blanks!

Marilyn :)
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Some docs, including Dr. Lowe, it seems, think that Synthroid does not allow the body to synthesize what it needs in terms of T3 and T4. There is a big controvery about this. There is just as big a controversy about the Armour. I don't think it's ever been settled to anyone's satisfaction.

I take the Synthroid, even though my labs have been normal. Even with taking it, my labs are normal but I feel a little better. I only take the lowest dose.

Love, Mikie
  7. teach6

teach6 New Member

I've been on synthroid since 1986 and I'm fine, I think. I have thought about questioning my doc about this sometime soon, though. I don't plan to switch from synthroid, I'd just like to know if a little more might help me feel better.

My endo is also on the good docs list, as is my CFS/FMS doc. Wish I could say that about my PCP. Working on switching networks during open season.

Barbara
  8. motg

motg New Member

Both my sister and me take medicen for low Thyroid. She takes the SYNTHROID and does very well. I did not do very well on it and now take real thyroid( that is what the label says) and I do very well. I feal that both are good but everyone is different so one might work better then the other for you. Just keep trying and you well find one that works for you.

Barb