Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by victoria, Apr 27, 2010.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

OK I got an 8 but surprised me - practice helps tho, because I've had the same questions a few times over the years, so really I should've done better LOL ... but also my adrenalin's running, some stress this AM really perks up the brain for sure!

Go here, and tell us all how you do...

good luck - just remember these are trickier than they may seem...
  2. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

I got an 8 as well. Good thing I knew they were trick questions lol. One I missed said "takes some thinking" or something to that effect and its bugging me. Thankfully I cant remember what the question was. Id be like a dog with a bone--unable to let it go lol. That was fun! Ill go back...
  3. mysticbrit

mysticbrit New Member

OK - I got 8 also. I studied the answers and now know why I got 2 of them wrong but I'm still confused about the one where you divide 30, etc.

But then, once I got thru basic math I flubbed all the algerbra, trig, etc. I still don't understand why they'd suddenly throw the alphabet into the equations. I still contend that I have NEVER needed to apply algebra into my life and at 63 I'm going to guess that it won't happen any time soon.

YUCK - Hubby just walked in the room and I read that question to him. Drat - he got it right without working up a sweat. He started to explain the process to me but once he noticed my eyes had glazzed over he stopped. Smart man.

4. JimB51

JimB51 Member

This will really be impressive on my job resume
  5. JimB51

JimB51 Member

dividing by 1/2 is the same as multiplying by 2/1. (2)

dividing by 1/3 is the same as multiplying by 3/1 (3)

dividing by 1/4 is the same as multiplying by 4/1 (4)

Got it?
    SO ...

DIVIDING 30 by 1/2 ... is same as MULTIPLYING 30 by 2

Try it.
    (That's about all I remember from math class)
    [This Message was Edited on 04/27/2010]
  6. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

Huh? I cant wrap my mind around that. I divided 30 in half. Thats 1 that I missed. Math was never my strong suit. Yeesh.
  7. mysticbrit

mysticbrit New Member

My daughter is a math wiz, my son is slightly better than me. They both tried to explain story problems to me and I smilied at them and left the room.

The Hubs tried explaining it to me earlier and I finally had to give him the evil eye followed by a walk from the room.

Too bad, my indignant walks from the room takes way too long now. I can't get up from the couch easily, then my knee locks or hyper-somethings and pops backwards. During the whole process as I'm attempting to walk with dignity from the room my body was creaking, popping and snapping as I held my head high. Somehow it just looses the effect. Dang this FM.

But I certainly thank you for trying.

[This Message was Edited on 04/27/2010]
  8. JimB51

JimB51 Member

OK, I'm the same way. LOL
    BUT, I DID catch the TRICK in the way they worded the problem.
    They said "Divide 30 by 1/2".

30 divided by 1/2 is NOT the same as 30 divided by 2.

I better leave it at that.

I want you to keep your dignity. LOL
  9. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

Ok...lets see if I get this now...its in the wording? I should have read that as dividing 30 by one over two? Not one half...
    And in all honesty if Victoria hadnt warned that theyre trick questions I wouldve said that there is one month with 28 days :)[This Message was Edited on 04/28/2010]
  10. JimB51

JimB51 Member

Dividing 30 by one over two (1/2) is what they say to do, but they assume that you're going to be confused and divide 30 by 2 which would equal 15. That's the Opposite of the correct answer.
    ... (This is so simple that I get confused reading my own explanation LOL).

OK, there's a simple rule that says ... when you multiply a number (in this case 30) by a fraction (in this case 1/2) ... you invert the fraction(change the 1/2 to 2/1) and then MULTIPLY it.
    so .. MULTIPLY 30 times 2/1. The answer is 60.
    Try rereading the problem and use this simple rule and see if it works for you.
    You'll feel like a genius if when you get the right answer.

11. victoria

victoria New Member

I understand Misfit's 'block' -
    while I don't have a block on that one, I always had problems with another simple equation (%) -I can figure it out 1 way but not the other...

I've had similar problems that demanded more algebraic math and could always figure things out the hard way for sewing purposes...

(despite in HS having an A in Algebra 1, in Algebra 2 I was so stressed out I couldn't pass a test, had a strong F. So I figured, why study for final - got a C. 4 months later retook my SATs without studying like they do today, and increased my score by more than 100 point....

Amazing what stress can do. I think I must've been stressed the week they were teaching us %s LOL.)

BTW. a friend pointed out re the question concerning pills being taken every 1/2 hour, how long would the pills "last" = while they obviously meant how long of a time period would you consume 1st, 2nd, & 3rd pill... one could assume they 'last' 30 minutes - in which case the answer wouldve been 90 minutes. I think that one was badly worded - even tho I got it 'right'.

12. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

I agree the pill one was badly worded. I had to read it a few times before it clicked. And then one was so simple even for a trick question. The one about how many outs per inning in baseball. Im too chicken to take it again to see if the 1/2, 30, etc makes sense this time. Gotta get my nerve up...:) and JimB.... They were correct in assuming Id divide 30 by 2. What if they wanted me to divide by one half? 1/2 and 1/2 look the same to me. Methinks they assume too much. So how long before new questions?
    [This Message was Edited on 04/28/2010]
  13. victoria

victoria New Member

they don't need new questions...
    we just have to wait a couple+ years and re-take it,
    it may seem somewhat familiar maybe--

but tricky as ever more than likely!
  14. JimB51

JimB51 Member

I just noticed I made an important mistake when I wrote "multiply" instead of DIVIDE.
    I wrote:
    OK, there's a simple rule that says ... when you MULTIPLY a number (in this case 30) by a fraction (in this case 1/2) ... you invert the fraction(change the 1/2 to 2/1) and then MULTIPLY it.

It SHOULD read... OK, there's a simple rule that says ... when you DIVIDE a number (in this case 30) by a fraction (in this case 1/2) ... you invert the fraction(change the 1/2 to 2/1) and then MULTIPLY it.
  15. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

Thanks for clearing that up...8-b
  16. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

Thanks for clearing that up...good thing I have 2 yrs to think that through lol...
  17. JimB51

JimB51 Member

ya, it will take two years to figure out what I just said. LOL
    (I wouldn't lose any sleep over it tho)
  18. victoria

victoria New Member

EVER over this stuff, LOL...

From division to amortization tables and etc are what online computer calculcation sites are for hehehehe

(Jean, what happened to your post, it was hilarious! I wanted to post to you but
    it wasn't here this morning...)
  19. victoria

victoria New Member

to sy I got both of those right!

LOL, but here's a conclusion .... I was very stingy with the cupcakes considering I was allowing each person a bottle of wine at my party.

So, at my next party I will have 2 times as many cupcakes--how many does that make per person...

plus how many double racks of BBQ ribs are needed if each person eats 1/2 a rack - ?

Now since Cinco de Mayo is coming up, how many margaritas will I need to make...
  20. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

If youre making margaritas youre going to need more than you think. If Im there Ill drink more than my fair share. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I nevur wuz nope gud at arythmetac. Spellin wuz my fortay.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/03/2010]