Mornings and Fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by maggie428, May 13, 2006.

1. maggie428

maggie428 New Member

Hi~~~~Now I am wondering how you all feel when you get up in the morning. I have fibro and am sleeping well as I am now taking Cymbalta plus Zanaflex and Clonazepam for a head tremor called Spasmodic Torticotis. When I get up I feel stiff, unwell and foggy plus low!!. Now you are all probably saying to your self no wonder she feel that way with those drugs. But what can a person do if you want to function a so called normal life. As the day progresses I do feel better but then in the evening I sure am wiped out. And really do not like going out after supper. You can just imagine the pain in the back of my neck with the fibro and the S.T. It is the heating pad for me each evening.

So I would appreciate any responses to your experiences.

Best wishes to all~~~~Maggie
  2. gladone

gladone New Member

Hi Maggie,

Just a quick note to say........

All that I have read, heard, and been told is that morning stiffness is one of the criteria for fibro. So yes, what you are feeling is expected and normal.

Have a great day,
    Gladone
  3. shelby319

shelby319 New Member

In the morning the first thing I have to do is take all my meds just to jump start my system into getting the pain and stiffness out of my system and I also take alot of meds for sleep. I have to take Xanax and sometimes add 1/2 of Soma, a muscle relaxant to help me sleep.

Then as the next day starts, as I said, I have all kinds of meds I have to take and sometimes wonder if its the meds or just my brain fog that is causing those feelings. Its kind of a catch 22!

Of course everyone is different, but I have alot of problems with pain in my shoulders which causes pain during the night, but I try not to take anything as I feel I take enough for sleep. But it does interfer with my sleep, so I wake up very unrefreshed and in pain.

So, it takes me about 2 hrs before I can get out of bed, and even then I don't feel like it. I can feel for you as this is a terrible disease, so I wish you nothing but the best and hope you feel better soon!!!
    Shelby
  4. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

My mornings are similar, I wake with increased pain, fogginess, no energy, stiff and with nausea. Thankfully, I don't have to get up and get out for work so I can move into my day slow and gentle.

I take my morning painkillers and other pills with my breakfast then sit with my heating pad for up to two hours some mornings.

I pace myself throughout the day, doing what I can with the energy I have. Like you, I tend to feel a bit better as the day goes on then back to square one in the evenings.

Fortunately, I like to read, use the computer, watch TV, All sedentary activities, though I make sure I get out for a walk each day (most days).

It makes for a quiet life, doesn't it?

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  5. maggie428

maggie428 New Member

Hi to all~~~thanks for your replies. It is so nice that you know that you are not alone. Anne Theresa your life sounds like mine as I am retired and if I was working still, I am afraid I would not be able to continue on a job even part-time. So I enjoy a quiet life reading, computer, knitting and crocheting and boy that walk is all important as even though at this time I can only make it up the block and back I do feel better especially my legs when I get back. My upper arms, back and shoulder plus neck do bother me but any excercise I do only makes it worse. Think swimming would be the best for that. But will work on that at I progess with the walking. I am hoping to make it around the block in not to long a time. Happy Mother's Day to all of you Mother's out there.

My Best Regards~~~~~~~Maggie
    [This Message was Edited on 05/13/2006]
  6. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Mornings are TERRIBLE for me. Before I got so depressed, I would literally "fight" sleep and do anything I could to stay awake for dreading the next morning. Now, I can't seem to stay awake very long at the time. I am so stiff, can barely walk to the bathroom then to my recliner every morning. Then, its the meds and wait. I feel sometimes also that maybe if I stop the meds, maybe I would feel "normal". (Wishful Thinking:)

I could not live without the meds and be a "normal" human being, unfortunately. I'm not saying the rest of the day is great because it isn't; just mornings are much worse. (I wonder if people that aren't sick that are in their 80's and 90's feel like this)? Anyone else ever wondered?

My worse areas are neck, back, legs, knees, and yep, feet. Maggie, good post. I know this doesn't help your pain but it did give me a chance to vent my pain. I would wish you better; if it would help.

Here's a <H U G>!

Take Care,
    BlueSky555
  7. maggie428

maggie428 New Member

Hi~~~Yes is it the disease or the meds that cause the brain fog. But then on the other side of the coin, I can't get going until I have taken the medication. So any appointments that I have are torture that are before 10 A.M. Usually I try 11 A.M. If I can get in at that time. Even early afternoon is not to bad. So does this thing rule us or do we rule it, that is the question?????? Got a feeling that the former is the problem!!!!

I will pray for you all tonight~~~~Maggie

8. carebelle

carebelle New Member

When I get up in the morning I feel the same as I did when I went to bed "Exhausted ".It is very hard to get out of bed.Im sore and stiff with flu like pains .If it wasnt for haveing to put the Dogs out I probably would not get up til afternoon.It's hard to even shower ,I have to lay down after it ,for a few min to get the energy to get up.I never thought my life would be like this.Im not on alot of meds only zoloft and I just started lodene
    My energy is gone.I have to talk to myself just to be able to get moveing for a doc apt. and because they do not help I've cancled appointments cause I was to sick to go.
  9. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

I feel the same as everyone who has posted and replied.
    Mornings are a nightmare for me. Headache, stiffness and that feeling that I have not slept the night before. I take 100 mg Trazadone and 1 Soma before or I don't sleep. Then I wake
    up and my head feels like it weighs 100 lbs.
  10. jax182

jax182 New Member

Hi. I have used to have days when I felt just you you all did in the morning . Now it is not as bad as it was. Even though, every once in awhile, I will have one of those days. I started Topamax 2 months ago, 100 mg at bedtime and it helps with the pain, it has decreased it a lot. I also found out that my b-12 levels were low and started getting b-12 shot last month and that has made a HUGE difference in my energy levels. Th b-12 shot has made my energy levels higher than they have been in years!!! I was so excited!! I have 2 small children, 6 yrs and 3 months, and it was a stuggle up until recently to get dressed and get out of the house on time. My daughter was late to school because I had no energy and was so wore out in the mornings I couldn't get moving. The topamx and b-12 shot has made the biggest difference in my life. I just started on Cymbalta last week to help lessen the pain even more. I have noticed a small differance already, yesterday I went 8 hours without pain meds! Normally I take them every 4-5 hours like clock work ( and stay pain free, thanks to the topamax and ultracet) I am also getting ready to start on Guafinasin. If you haven't heard about this, you may want to look into this at guaidoc.com. This can reverse this horrible diseise that has taken over our lives.
    Just a small note to everyone on downers (muscle relaxers and clonapin, soma,etc).... I was on these at one point and they made me feel awful in the monring and throughout the day. Once I stopped taking them I felt had more energy and didn't have so much brain fog. Since we are already drained of energy, these tend to bring us down even more... just a thought.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/14/2006]
  11. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

in the mornings when i wake up i feel so tired & fatigued & in serious crippling pain i hate it but ive ben like this for 10 years now so im used to it.
    I have ME,CFS,FMS,IBS,SYGRENS SYNDROME & 36 other illnesses.
    And for the past couple of months ive been feeling a different kind of pain its not like my rheumatic pain.
    I went to see my doctor who said my right wrist is very swollen so he put me 500mg x8 each day.
    I went for an xray last tuesday i have to wait for another 2 weeks now for the results.
    My doc said i have either tendon damage or arthritis all my carers say its arthritis.
    I will wait & see.
    Fibrolady37.
  12. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

I usually wake up screaming in the morning because the pain is so intense and the stiffness, and achyness (sp?), and getting out of bed is workout all on its own. I have been trying to get out of bed and I end up falling on the floor due to the muscle weakness.

In the mornings I will take my Fibronol and Fibroboost on an empty stomach. Then I try to stretch out and do some minor Yoga to get the muscles moving.

I really wish there was a machine out there that would move certain parts of my body while I was sleeping without waking me, BUT knowing my luck the machine would malfunction and I would end up in a pretzel shape.

All I can is to really try take baby steps each day and do what I can. This illness is hard, and I talk to it, like a person and tell it you can't get me today, watch me!!! LOL yeah a little crazy but self-talking helps me get through the day...ok one more stair and you are there, and look you can sit down, etc etc. My dad was amazed that I knew how many stairs there were in the house, and heard me talking myself through getting up the stairs.

Try to do YOUR best, not someone else's best, or someone telling you what your best is, but your own personal best.