Morningsonshine, where is my horse friend?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kathleen12, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

Where are you? I want to talk horse some more! I hope you didn't feel too chastised about wearing a helmet. If you did....please accept my deepest apologies.

How is the training coming along with your little Mustang?
  2. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I am also a horse lover! I own a paint horse and a little black pony! I just wish I were well enough to ride, hopefully this spring I will get to go on a trail ride or two.

3. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

Since I can no longer really ride or train any more, I will live my horse life through others. So now we have three on here!

Do you train any? We have a lot of Paints in my neck of the country. The horse I used to own was one of the old time Appaloosas. I used to show him in speed events and sure miss those days!

Feel free to read the post that Misty posted to me "Kathleen12" and find out a little more of my days of equestrian activities.

Yeah, I know all about the hoping to get to ride the trails some this summer. But I know that even if a horse was groomed, tacked, I was physically placed on his back, that I could not ride at this point. But am forever hopeful that better days are ahead.

Take care and hope to hear from you again soon.
  4. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Right now I am not capable of riding anything, haha! Not even a pony! But it doesn't stop me from dreaming. I don't train, actually I could use a few lessons myself. I've never riden much. But my horse is trained very well, so I think we'd be okay. She is so goreous I am going to post a picture of her on here soon. She is something like 17 hands, huge! Black with white patches, her name is Midnight. I have a little pony for my kids, her name is Black Cutie, my granddaughter named her that, after Black Beauty,haha! I thought that was adorable! She's like the size of a shetland pony. And she's solid black. The kids really love her to pieces!

How many horses do you have?

Take care!
  5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Can I join in?? I grew up riding and showing horses. I miss it so much - was such a huge part of my life.
    I was Top Ten in the nation when I was 13 at the Grand National Morgan Horse Show. I then went on to own an incredible American Saddlebred. He was Reserve World Champion before we owned him. When we bought him, he went on to become the Rocky Mountain Regional Champion - he won everything! My Mom used to 'drive' him and I rode him. Was a great way for my Mom and I to be involved in something together.
    I still thank my parents for giving me such a great gift - a great experience in my life.
    There is nothing like being on a horse - nothing like the 'smell' of a stable...
    I'll talk horses anytime!!!
  6. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

Kellyann....Black Cutie...LOL! That is adorable! I do not have any horses of my own any more. As you know, they are a HUGE expense and am not able to ride enough to make the expense worthwhile. When I was showing my little App, he earned his keep by winning in the feed shows. I hardly ever had to buy feed for him....he won his.

Janalyn....YES, please join us. We may just have to start our own horse club on here...LOL.
    Wow! what an equestrian resume you have there girl! I never got to show like that but did get the oppertunity to work at an Arabian show barn and went to alot of the big shows working behind the scenes. I sure learned alot during those days. I must admit that I know very little about the Saddlebreds but am eager to learn more. At our therapy center we had two Morgans as our therapy horses and they proved to be perfect for the job. They had a wonderful gait and substance for just about any disability and the temprament to match. Taz was a dressage horse and I learned basic dressage on him. I wish I was able to further take lessons on him but am unable to at this point. I also LOVE the smell of a horse. When I was a child and got to pet a horse, I would not wahs my hands all day and kept my face buried in them so I could keep smelling them...LOL.
  7. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

What a cute story about not washing your hands!!!!
    I remember how my bedroom would have that barn smell because I wouldn't wash my jeans and I'd just take them off and leave them in the corner. I would work all day at the barn, cleaning stalls, cleaning tack, washing horses, all that work, yet my Mom couldn't get me to clean my room.
    I totally get how horses can be so therapeutic to people. They have some magical quality. I was a very quiet, shy, unsure little girl. The confidence I gained from riding was amazing and priceless. I swear if I ever got money (a lot of it) again, I'd be back in the horse business. It's just so darn expensive! When I moved back to Colorado after being away for a number of years I went to visit my old trainer - some of the horses she had (client's horses) were selling for $150K) Holy crap.

Kellyann- love your little pony's name. We used to ride Cocoa Puffs, Cheerios, Rice Krispies, Cap'n Crunch, BooBerry and HoneyCombs

Kathleen - did I tell you how much I love your pic?Makes me want to be on the beach!! You are SO pretty.
  8. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Thank you so much for posting to me!! I've been feeling kinda down.

I've been meaning to bump up our orginal post but haven't gotten around to it.

I've been reading but not posting, yesterday i could have really used a big friendly hug. But when i came on it seemed like alot of others also were having a blue day. So i didn't share.
    So it was really nice to come on today and find you looking for me.

I've been struggling with migraine for several days, but it finally seem gone toay. And a hormonaly challenged teenager, who decided getting D's was just fine, and had a fit when we cracked down on him. Plus a friend who really blindsided me the other day on the phone with some stuff that really hurt.

Sorry none of this is horse related, but i was so glad just to see someone looking for me!!!:0) Thanks, your a sweetheart.

Uhmm, about the helmet issue, i know you have a point. I never grew up wearing one, and would be considered a freak by my family if i did!!, NOT that it should matter.
    I've actually been seriously considering ordering one. (So, no you didn't offend me.:0))

For two reasons, i mostly ride alone and the extra precaution would be good, plus i want to start my youngest riding, who is delayed in motor skills and i think he should have a helmet.

Now i'm going to go back and read what everyone else posted to you!!

[This Message was Edited on 02/03/2008]
  9. morningsonshine

Hi Kellyann, good to see you again. I kinda dropped the music thread on you too. You do kinda resemble me! LOL! Actually you look just like one of my aunts when she was younger.

I know about hoping to be well enough to ride. Last summer i managed five rides that were about 15 minutes long. The day i ponyed my mustang filly around i had so much fun, but crashed for 3 weeks.

The biggest thing my horses do for me is to get me outside, lots of times it's just sitting with them, and getting all horsey smelling!!! LOL

Hi, Janalyn, welcome, you sound like you've done alot with horses. I use to be in love with morgans in 6th grade.

Yes if anyone wants to catch up with me and kathleens origanal post, under her name, i'll bump it.

Love talking horse!
  10. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

I am so sorry you are having such a rough time of it these past few days. Are you ok hon? I understand about not posting our troubles when everyone else seems to be in such great need. We tend to put ourselves on the back burner. YOu can talk about it on this thread or start a new one. I think, though, that you'll get more input from a fresh thread. What happened?

But I am glad that you have been reading and I have missed you and wondered if the recent "events" on this board has scared you away.

About the helmets....I am the only one in my community who wears a helmet when I ride, and yes, I feel a little strange when everyone else is wearing cowboy hats, but at least I know that I will not be spending my wonderful weekend in the ER due to a head trauma! I do hope you'll get one especially for your little one! There are some really nice helmets out there....anywhere from $35 on up.

I am glad to see you back, girl! Oh is your big friendly hug......

((((((((((((((((HUGS FROM A FRIEND)))))))))))))))
  11. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

Thank you for such a sweet compliment on my profile photo. That was taken a few years ago in Virginia while on a vacation there.

Do you remember how you felt when you got your first horse? I do.....I was 13 and a pure, died in the wool horse lover and could not wait until my horse came home to me.

The day of his arrival, I went out and cut all my mom's roses and stuck them in every crevace of his stall! My Mom was fit to be tied to say the least! Apple never even noticed the bueauty of his stall and never even used it....he preferred the weather and flies!!! LOL.
  12. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

My first horse was, of course, a homemade stick horse who was the pride of my neighborhood. In my mind he was a gorgeouse grey stallion whith black mane and tail. He would rear up on command and charge anything that was in our path! (of course he was really only a young sapling with a hay string on the heavy end and a dish towel tied to the other....).

My second horse was actually a dog. My cousin would put me on top of his dog and lead us around. The dog was HUGE! But very patient and compliant....poor old soul.

My next horse was our propane gas tank. I tied the trusty ol' hay string at one end and I'd sit on the takn cap. Of course I still had a handy dish towel to use as his tail!

Then finally I got something that actually resembled a horse.....a little white faced herford calf! I bottle raised Sparky and when he got big enough to carry my weight I tied the ever useful haystring to a halter and rode him up and down the roads. He was my buddy...we'd curl up together in the sun and I'd actually allow him to get wads of my hair in his mouth to chew on! Oh, those were the days.......!

So what was your first horse like???
  13. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

that is too precious...
    We moved to Colorado from NY when I was 8. I had no idea where (or what) Colorado was - I only knew that my parents said maybe someday we could get a pony. Heck it WAS the wild wild west. As I said I was a Quiet, with a capital Q child. I never asked, just prayed every single night for a pony. Christmas came and went. Birthdays came and went. Easter came and went. President's Day came and went (do you get gifts for that day??) One day Dad came home and said he bought a horse. It was a big horse. Three days later the horse threw him off and broke his knee. So much for me ever riding that Thing. (capital T) A woman at the neighborhood barn had 6 ponies. We leased one - Cocoa Puffs. He was Mine all Mine. (in my mind anyway) I used to ride my bike everyday after school to the barn yelling "hooray for Cocoa Puffs" - just like the commercial. I took Cocoa Puffs on trail rides, for swims in the lake. He had more baths than a duck. My parents again tried to buy a horse but by then I was spoiled and had been turned on to the show horses - my parents bought the 'backyard' kind.
    I'll have to tell you about the day we bought our first 'REAL' horse... unfortunately I have to get ready for work... yuck.
    such memories....wonderful childhood memories.......
  14. kellyann

kellyann New Member

My first horse was when I was about 9 years old, my parents bought a little white shetland pony named Jack. He was meaner than anything you ever seen! But I still loved him even when he bit me. We had to get rid of him after he kicked my 3 year old sister in the stomach. That made my mom really mad. Some of those ponies can be pretty mean little devils,haha!
    How are you Mornings? I hope you are okay! Sorry you are having problems.
    Your friend,
  15. morningsonshine

Horses have always been apart of my family. My dad has that cowboy DNA horses are in the blood, past, present and future generations.

We were allowed horses as children, and pretty much given free rein. I had my first pony when i was 4. I can remember being left in the yard on her to ride, and she would always go strait for the dog food dish. There i would be stuck on her with her nose in the dish, i wasn't strong enough to get her head up.

She was a little brown pony named Beauty about 11.2 hands, She was a "pony" as in she did what she wanted with me on her, but she wasn't mean at all.

If i fell off her, she would freeze and stand still until you got back up. My pony i have now is her last baby that she had. She got a uterus infection and died about a week after the baby.

I remember finding my pony dead in the pasture, with her little baby standing over her. I screamed my head off, i was 5 or 6 then.

I begged my dad to keep the baby and named her Trixie, she became my real first horse and best friend. We did everything together. I rode her for the next eight years, than her baby for the next eight after that.

Then i decided i needed an Arabian!! LOL I gave up my little 13.2 hand mutt of a horse that i could do anything with, and traded for a high strung nervous horse that although friendly and intelligent never worked into a faithful mount. Too hyper, and overly sensitive about everything.

But i still have my little pony Trixie, she will be 31 this spring.

Thanks for asking about me Kellyann, i've just kinda blocked out my issues for the moment. Not sure if i want to confront this person and try and understand or just let it lay for now.
    I'm praying about it.

16. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I know how you feel, sometimes the stress of confronting someone just isn't worth all the damage it does to our bodies. I've learned to pick my battles sparenly. It takes too much of my energy. And leaves me sick and soe, so it really has to be worth it to confront someone, but then on the other hand, you can't be a doormat either. I will be praying for you! I hope you are doing okay!

Take Care of yourself!
  17. morningsonshine

I'm not sure what direction this is going to go in. I prayed last night and had some peace about it.

But this week i have Bible study with this friend and two others, and just thinking about it put knots in my stomach.

We have been a fairly tight group for a couple of years, and shared alot with each other. We all have kids the same age. Then i suddenly find out that i'm rubbing this friend the wrong way.
    I called her about our boys wanting to go snowmobileing together, and i get this unexpected load dumped in my lap!!

She feels when i call to chat, i'm comparing and judging her!! I"ve never felt that way! She says she doesn't understand when i'm joking around.
    Example; the other weekend she was the chaperone for the youth sliding party. My son came home with a skinned up eye. He was laughing as he told me about missing the sled and going down the hill on his head basicly.

It sounded funny, and he said everyone was laugh really hard about it. So i called her the next day to ask her about the fun they had, and you know, just share. Wanted to know about the day, since i couldn't be there.

When i called i said, Laughing, "so, i heard you backhanded my kid, and he has a black eye". Anyone who truely knows me (as she should) would know i was kidding around.
    Well i found out that she took my seriously, and also thought i was calling just to check up on things, like i was spying!!??

I am so puzzled and confused by this?? This is not the kinda person i am. Isn't that what friends are for, to call up and chat about what's going on??

I had no bad intentions in my heart. And in the past, when ever she's acted odd with me, or puzzling, i've always given her the benefit of the doubt.

I'm just so hurt that she would judge my motives so wrongly. I don't know how to handle the bible study this week.
    I'm kinda the unoffical leader, they have asked me to be so, but it's at her house this time. Which makes it harder for me. I don't feel welcome in her heart let alone in her house.

Because i wanted to take what she said seriously i asked another close friend, Do i offend you with my goofy joking, do you feel like i critize you, of judge you, and am i a dirt bag!??
    She said NO!!

Kelly, or anyone else reading, i really didn't mean to write all this on here, at first i couldn't even talk about it accept to the one person. But maybe it's good, i've really been praying about how to handle this whole thing.
    We have been in bible study together for 4 years now. Boy am i just SHocked by this!!!

Kathleen, we miss you, i know your going thur something much more serious than this, we are here for you when you need it!

[This Message was Edited on 02/11/2008]