Morphene -vs- Percocet another question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by discoverygal, Mar 22, 2009.

1. discoverygal

discoverygal New Member

Thanks for your answers to my initial question. I have another one....

The strength of the Morphine I would get is 15 mg X 4/day. I understand it is the lowest dose. I now take 30 mg X 4/day of the Percocet. I am concerned that the Morphine dose is too low.

Are any of you familiar with the strength of the Morphine and how it would compare with what I am taking now.

I so appreciate your answers.
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Did your Dr. change your meds for more pain relief? If so, I can't imagine that he/she would lower the strength.

Because they are two completely different meds is hard to compare exactly. BUT...I have found my pharmacist to be most helpful when I have questions like this.
    I always ask my Dr. as well when she is making a switch.

Like I asked, though, are you switching for more pain control per your Dr.? You can always try it and see if it works or is as effective for you. I've had to do that, then call my Dr. and tell her that something doesn't work.

3. cjones6149

cjones6149 New Member

It could be that your doctor wants to put you on a long acting form of morphine, so you don't have the ups and downs with your pain during the day. When you take a pain med that lasts between 4 to 6 hours, for example, you have the wearing off of the medication, putting you in pain for awhile, until you can take more, and have it take effect.

Long acting morphine lasts for up to 12 hours. If your doctor isn't putting you on the long acting form, from your post, you say 15 mg x 4/ day, you may want to ask.

I recently went from using vicoprofen (hydrocodone 7.5mg/ 200mg ibuprofen) 4 x day to a 25mcg/hr fentanyl patch every 2 1/2 days because my doctor wanted me to be on something more steady and long acting. He suggested using the patch, using long acting morphine, or using methadone.

I'm not a doc, but I would guess the morphine would give you much needed pain relief for a longer period, rather than the percocet.
  4. nixon

nixon New Member

I was on percocet for a couple of years, my new dr. let me remain on them the first 3 months that I was seeing her, but then wanted me to change to Morphine Sulf ER 15 mg. her explanation was it was longer lasting, and I wouldn't experience the ups & downs of taking the Percs every 4-6 hrs.

I took the Morphine 2x a day. That worked for me for about 9 months, and I've recently switched to Methadone 4x a day with Percocet 2x daily for breakthrough pain. I'm doing good on this combo! The morphine seemed to quit working for me ( after 9 mths) but I also deal with VIN III- CIS. After my last surgery the morphine at the hospital didn't work for me, I had to have Dilaudad for my pain!

Anyhow.....give it a try, it should work well for you!