Morphene -vs- Percocet

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by discoverygal, Mar 20, 2009.

1. discoverygal

discoverygal New Member

Hi Friends,

I am currently on Duragesic patch 50mcg and Percocet 10/325 4/day. I asked my pain doc today if I can switch between ther Percocet and something else every 3-4 months to avoid tolerence. She said I could switch with Morphene 15 mg 4/day.

Those of you who have used both Percocet and Morphene, can you tell me if there are any real differences. I have never taken Morphene and am a bit frightened. Any info is greatly appreciated!!

BIG Gentle hugs
  2. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

The main difference between Percocet and Morphine is Percocet is a mixture between Acetaminophen and Oxycodone (which is an opiod - synthetic) where as morphine is a straight opiate usually with a sulphate (not synthetic). I am on MS Contin (Morphine Sulphate) but I've never taken Percocet. As far as I've read (did a lot of studying before I made the choice I did) Percocet is supposidly slightly less addictive than Morphine because of the Acetaminophen and the fact that oxycodon is synthetic? But I don't know how true that is. Just something I read along the way. Just know the med facts. Percocet has Acetaminophen in it and Morphine medications usually do not, know for sure MC Contin doesn't. Hope this was at least a little helpful.

best wishes
  3. DemonFairy

DemonFairy New Member

I take plain Oxycodone (it's cheaper and I don't need extra meds screwing up my liver) and I can't take any morphine products. None of them work for me at all. I tried MS Contin, Dilaudid, etc., and they have no more effect on me than Advil, no matter how high the dose. Well, to a certain extent. I didn't get totally carried away when seeing if a higher dose of morphine-related meds would work because I didn't want to OD, yet still be feeling physical pain.

I don't think there's a difference between them addiction-wise. I think that addictions are generally based on genetics, and sometimes, mental health. I'm dependent on Oxycodone, but I'm not addicted. I also have a huge tolerance, but I happen to be one of those people who develops a tolerance to certain doses really quickly. Nothing I can do about that. I would love to go back to the days when 7.5mg of Oxycodone would get rid of my pain. Oh, the financial savings!

I think that your best bet is to get together with your doctor and try different meds. Certain meds are better for certain people. My doctor has been really good about letting me try just about everything for a month. If I could afford it, I think I would stick with Fentanyl patches, with something for breakthrough pain. My doctor also asked if I wanted to try Opana ER, but I just can't afford to even try it. I'd like something that didn't give me the rollercoaster of pain/less pain/pain, etc. But, for now, all I can afford is the Oxycodone.
  4. DemonFairy

DemonFairy New Member

I wanted to add, there's no reason to be frightened of morphine-related meds. There's nothing hugely different about them that you haven't dealt with before. I think that once you've dealt with strong pain meds, you're pretty much prepared to try all the different categories of them to see which works best for your body.
  5. discoverygal

discoverygal New Member

Thanks very much for the great information. It will always be an uphill battle.
    But I always liked climbing :)
  6. SolSerenade

SolSerenade New Member

I've been taking this for about 4 months with good results. I *really* like that it's just one pill per day (as opposed to a handful before) -- and you don't get big gaps in effectiveness.

the best thing is waking up and having that NOT be the *worst* pain time right away (because of 'wear-off')