Morristown NJ - Dr. Sanders Davis & Guai use

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FM58, Mar 18, 2005.

1. FM58

FM58 New Member

Has anyone gone to Dr. Sanders Davis? He's a Physical Medicine & Rehabilatation Medicine MD specializing in fibro. He has already admitted I am a very complicated case! LOL! I probably have every combination of letters that you can throw in the mix w/ FMS & CFIDS.

I had one visit with him, he gave me a bunch of info to read (most of it, I was familiar with already) - He does use guai in his practice because he gave an article by R. Paul St. Amand MD & Claudia Craig Marek, The Guaifenesin Protocol.

So, I am also wondering how many have tried guai - how long have you been on it' have you noticed any positive changes?

I'm also wondering what else to expect of Dr. Davis - at my first visit, he was very kind & caring - did some tender points but "didn't want to torture me" or cause me any unnecessarry pain" in the exam - I thought rather highly of him for that.

Thanks for any input.

Just another Jersey Girl,
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

You're lucky to find a doctor who seems so nice/gentle.

You might want to do a search up on top, Patty, lots of people here have used guai, just type it into the search box!

all the best,
    [This Message was Edited on 03/18/2005]
  3. Muddieanne

Muddieanne New Member

Several years ago he treated me.He didn't mention guai then. He is very kind and gentle. He didn't want to exam my tender points with much pressure because he knew how much it would hurt. He was one of the doctors whose medical records were sent to SS to help me get SSD.

I remember that he said one of the simplest and smartest statements I've ever heard,"Do what ever works for you".

4. Fatpugdog

Fatpugdog Member

I've been on the guaifenesin protocol for 15 months and it is the best thing I've ever done. I'm about 80% better.

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hey, Fatpugdog (love your username),

So glad the Guai is working for you. It's not a cure but it's the next best thing for FMS. I was on it for years, along with other protocols for my CFIDS/ME. It was a God send for me.

Then, I found a doc who does peptide injections and they have gotten rid of most of my FMS/CFIDS/ME/Sjogren's symptoms. I had to take them once a month for a year at $300 each and ins. doesn't cover them. I still go back and get a "booster" shot now and then when I get run down. Again, not a cure but the next best thing for all the conditions I have.

Good for you for trying the Guai and even better for you that you are getting such good results. BTW, I have e-mailed Claudia on several occasions with questions and she was always so nice and helpful. If you haven't read Dr. St Amand's book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About FIBROMYALIGIA," you might want to pick it up. It's so informative. I've never been completely convinced that the Guai works in exactly the manner theorized by Dr. St. A but it does work and that's what counts.

Love, Mikie
  6. jkennedy

jkennedy Member

I'm not on guai now, but was for a number of years. I really did get a lot better.

I was also one of the fortunate few who didn't get the painful cycling symptoms while on guai. About 10% of people don't experience them and just get improvement.

I stopped because it is so restrictive since you have to avoid salicylates. The funny thing is that theoretically, I should have regressed to where I was before I started. However, I've kept the improvement for years.

I still have plenty of pain, but not like before guai. Every second of my life was excruciating. My fibro pain is manageable now.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, JKennedy,

Glad you also got help with the Guai. I kept increasing the dose to get better faster so I did do the painful cycling but it was worth it. We are all so different and react differently to the protocol. I think, in the beginning, it is important to start out slowly with the Guai and religiously avoid salicylates. I found that I could tolerate a few sales without its affecting the results but there was a limit.

It's unfortunate that so many won't even give the Guai a chance. It's a small tradeoff to get rid of sals to stop, or reduce, the pain of FMS.

Love, Mikie