Mortgage disability

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lighthouselady, Oct 19, 2005.

1. lighthouselady

lighthouselady New Member

I have not applied for my mortage disability yet. My husband and I have had many discussions as to how easy it is to get this. I had a friend who got it and she only had to have her doctor sign the papers. How has everyone else faired with this. I live in Ohio if that helps at all. I also am not on disability yet but am thinking very strongly about it since I got laid off from my job for not being able to keep up with the standards they want. It's such a bad situation but I'm just trying to make sense out of it now. If anyone can help me out with their experiences, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks, Judy
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

or pull out your documents to find out what the requirements are if you should need to do this.

it is possible that you need to be working at least 30 hours per week then go off on medical leave then you would qualify

but you saying you are laid off that means two different things there, you are not currently working before your medical problems. but everyone's contracts are different. so check with the company and the will givew you the true story instead of guessing on basis of what other people are saying.

jodie
  3. vp

vp New Member

I'm also in Ohio, but it all depends on who your insurance it through.

Get out your policy, and look over all of the fine print.

Unfortunately mine is a nightmare, It took about a year to get my first check, although it was a good one, I had to hand all of it over to my boyfriend because he had made every house payment, and more for the year I was waiting. I would have lost the house otherwise, my savings dissappeared fast.

Then they sent me another check that paid me ahead until the end of July. Wow, I wasn't expecting that! well, now it's almost the end of October, and they have been "reviewing my case" for almost 3 months now. My condition hasn't changed much, and it certainly hasn't gotten any better. My doctor's reports that I sent in July reflect that.

It just makes me sick to think that I shopped around, bought insurance within a month of buying my house, "just in case" something happens, thinking I bought peace of mind, and security. Of course I never really thought I would actually use it.

Sorry for ranting, but I just got up the nerve to call them today. That "lady" (not what I usually refer to her as) is so nasty. I don't trust her, and she tries to put words in my mouth, asks me questions she already knows the answer to
    ect. I think a big part of my illness getting worse is the anxiety these people have put me through.

I'll quit now, I feel well vented. Look closely at the part of your policy that clarifies what their definition of disabled is... not being able to do your current job (hopefully) ...or not being able to do ANY job (that's where they try to get out of paying) Guess which one I have????

Good Luck, and I hope your story is not like mine.

Valerie
  4. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi judy (by the way, love your lighthouse handle--i collect them and just love lighthouses!
    I am geting the disability ins. thru CUNA (AKA---SPAWN OF SATAN) and have had an awful time! they are desp. trying to drop me, see( my latest post on "functional capacity") but so far, have made my payments to my credit union. when sold this ins., it seems like they are so helpful and it is a good investment, but after they have to pay up--look out! i have had my neighbors lied to and questioned, had to see an INDEPENDENT (AKA--in their pocket!!) doc who was paid $800+ to lie about everything i said (make sure you record EVERYTHING--for quality and training purposes, of course!). I haven't yet heard about the results of the FCE, but i'm sure for enough money, they will be against me and my case will be closed. so be sure to get it filed (you HAVE paid for this service!!) and go back to the original date of your disability, they will try to say if you can flip burgers 16 hours a week (the magic number) for $5/hour, then they will deny your claim, however you surely wouldn't have been approved for the mortgage loan if you only brought in $90/week. I'm still trying to figure that one out!
    anyway, KEEP COPIES and RECORDS of ALL correspondence, from your doctor, also, and prepare to do battle, this fight will take everything you physically have in you! Email me if you want to talk, cuz i know i am rambling on here! Good luck--Laurie
  5. silky17

silky17 New Member

Shes very knowlegeble.

Good luck
    Debbie
  6. lighthouselady

lighthouselady New Member

Thanks everyone, seems my husband was more right than I was. We've just go so much on our minds with his surgery coming up, my loss of job due to not being able to keep up the production standards, (I typed medical reports). If ever I thought I was being picked on, it's now. I'm just not up to another fight right now so I think I'll hold off for a while.

Judy