Morton's Foot

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ChattyCathy, Oct 15, 2005.

1. ChattyCathy

ChattyCathy New Member

Has anyone ever heard of this or have it? I did a Internet search because of this NEW pain that I have been experiencing for several months now. Really don't want to make an unnecessary trip to a doctor -

From what I have read - it comes with My FMS package.

Any suggestions for relief?
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm not sure if this is the same thing. It was horribly painful but one injection of a steroid in the pinched nerve between my toes was all it took and it cleared up completely.

Love, Mikie
  3. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Devin Starlanyl and Mary Ellen Copeland discuss Morton’s Foot and Morton’s Neuroma in their book “Fibromyalgia & Chronic Myofascial Pain. They say the two are totally unrelated.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Ignore my post. Perhaps Littlebluestem could tell you what the book had to say about Morton's Foot.

Love, Mikie
    [This Message was Edited on 10/16/2005]
  5. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

Morton's Neuroma

Morton's Neuroma is a common foot problem associated with pain, swelling and/or an inflammation of a nerve, usually at the ball-of-the-foot between the 3rd and 4th toes. Symptoms of this condition include sharp pain, burning, and even a lack of feeling in the affected area. Morton's Neuroma may also cause numbness, tingling, or cramping in the forefoot.

Cause
    Morton's Neuroma is a foot condition caused from an abnormal function of the foot that leads to bones squeezing a nerve usually between the 3rd and 4th metatarsal heads. Symptoms of Morton's Neuroma often occur during or after you have been placing significant pressure on the forefoot area, while walking, standing, jumping, or sprinting. This condition can also be caused by footwear selection. Footwear with pointed toes and/or high heels can often lead to a neuroma. Constricting shoes can pinch the nerve between the toes, causing discomfort and extreme pain.

Treatment and Prevention
    The first step in treating Morton's Neuroma is to select proper footwear. Footwear with a high and wide toe box (toe area) is ideal for treating and relieving the pain. The next step in treatment is to use an orthotic designed with a metatarsal pad. This pad is located behind the ball-of-the-foot to unload pressure, and relieve the pain caused by the neuroma.

If problem persists, consult your foot doctor.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope this can help you, I have this and also Plantars Fasiitis, makes my feet impossible to use some day's.

sharonk
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The doc figured that mine was caused by walking in high heels on a concrete and brick floor at work.

Now, if we can just find out what Morton's Foot is...

Love, Mikie
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

And I did a web search. Seems that Morton's Foot pertains to the structure of the foot which can cause ankle instability and a whole host of other problems--too much to go into in a post. I suggest doing a search and reading about it.

Love, Mikie
  8. libra55

libra55 New Member

I have a classic FM/Morton's foot. The second toe is longer than the big toe, which causes pronation (inward rolling) of the foot whan walking. The ankle is unstable. In addition, this foot has a very high arch. Over time these conditions can cause a lot of pain. It's also hard to find shoes that fit.

Michelle
  9. Sbilek

Sbilek New Member

If it's the neuroma type you're referring to, I had it in both feet and I bought some foot inserts from the Goodfeet store, totally got rid of it. The inserts were on the expensive side, but the pain was unbearable, so I'm just thankful it worked for me.

Subsequent, almost two years later, developed similar pain in just the left ball of the foot, but hadn't been wearing those inserts, so started wearing them again, and the pain has gone away again.

Just for an additional thought, these type of inserts are not formed to your feet. The Goodfeet store feels you are having problems because the bones are misaligned in your feet, so the inserts they give you are designed to force the bones to their proper position, hence, relieving the symptoms.

Sbilek
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My Mom and I got inserts there. Mom got the expensive ones and they made matters worse for her. She bought the much cheaper ones in the jelly like rubber for me because I tried them and liked them in the store.

The store switched Mom's out for a cheaper set but would not give her back her money. The second set didn't help her either. If you get the inserts from the Good Feet store, be sure they work for you or you have thrown your money away.

I think it's probably better to go to a podiatrist and have the inserts custome made by someone who guarantees the work.

I have the inserts in my New Balance sneakers and they really help if I'm on my feet a lot. I like the New Balance because they are wider and accommodate the inserts better. I have a bony foot and usually wear Nikes. The inserts I have were only $60, so there wasn't much at stake. Mom's were much, much more expensive.

Love, Mikie

11. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

The ones that they make a mold of you feet, first, them make them.
    Well they cost around 175.00 at the time. The PT who made them, told me that I could get replacements for them at a lower price.

Well when I needed some new ones, they said they had to make another Mold. This time it went up to 250.00
    I said eat my dust, and went and bought assorted, Insert's by Dr. Schols (sp?)
    It depends on the type of shoe I am wearing, most just need the Heel Cushion's.

But some of my flat's, need the arch support that are in the longer ones.

As a Former dancer, I always knew in the back of my mind, that this was what was causing me so much pain.
    I went from wearing Heels, to flats, and that was a big mistake.

I should have stayed with 0ne-inch heels, they are kinder to my back, and I only need the heel cups in them.

I have the Typical Mortons Foot, also, the Longer Toe thing, I hated it, and was teased about it. Mainly by my family.
    Which is ironic, since they all have FMS, but not the Morton Foot.

Now I am Proud of that Long Slender Toe, and I proudly wear sandals, to show the tooties off, ;o) lol.

Hope you find what will work for you.
    I saw an Orthopedic Dr. aboout my foot pain, then I was dx with Plantars Fasiictis, I would think a Podirist would be the Dr. to see tho.

Hope your Day's a good one,
    sharonk
  12. ChattyCathy

ChattyCathy New Member

I am a little confused because I thought it was from Devin's site that I thought the two were related. I will go back and check on it.

I haven't worn high heels or pointed toes in years. The problem started during the warm summer months of sandles.

The inserts sound like a great idea before visiting the doctor...I really appreciate the information given here. You all are the BEST!!