mosquitoes bites and allergic reactions?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jane32, Jul 6, 2006.

1. jane32

jane32 New Member

Does anyone else get huge hives afterwards?

I only went outside for a min. and of course the bugs find me. I alwyas get so worried that I am going to catch some awful disease from them.

It itches like crazy and I have a huge hive -like 3 x 4 inches. Does anyone else get hives from them?
  2. cats3

cats3 New Member

I also get allergic reactions to those crazy mosquitoes bites.

My allergist recommended this product called

ITCH-X it's a fast-acting, anti-itch gel

this stuff works it also comes in a spray

their web site is bfascher with dot com

I use it for insect bites and when I get a reaction to my allergy shots.
  3. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

Mine are really bad too. They also become a hard bump and take forever to go away. Then there is a scar and that takes awhile to fade. Luckily there aren't very many mosquitos here or I'd look like one big hive walking around!
  4. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I posted this on another mosquito post. well, here it comes again:

Mosquito bites: What is a normal skin reaction?
    I got this from Mayo Clinic, this is the season for mosquitp bites. I was surprised to see that in rare cases the reaction to them can be a sign of EBV and other viruses. I found it interesting, and thought of many of us who are diagnosed with EBV, and some that suspect EBV but never got the diagnosis. Have any of you with EBV noted a specific reaction to these bites? I get big bumps, not the small ones I had as a kid.

A "normal" reaction to a mosquito bite can vary. Some people will have only a small area of redness, swelling and itching that typically goes away within 24 hours. Others may have a larger area of itching — sometimes the size of a grapefruit in highly sensitive individuals — that can last for several days.

In some cases, hypersensitivity to mosquito bites may be associated with an underlying medical condition, such as chronic lymphocytic lymphoma or certain viral infections, such as Epstein-Barr virus. However, this is uncommon.

Rarely, an individual may have a serious reaction to mosquito bites, which results in swelling in the throat, hives and wheezing. This life-threatening condition (anaphylaxis) requires immediate medical attention.

If you're sensitive to mosquito bites, the best advice is to avoid getting bitten. Follow these common-sense precautions:

Avoid areas, such as marshes, where mosquito activity is highest.
    Avoid going outside when mosquitoes are most active, such as at dusk and dawn and after rain.
    Wear protective clothing when outside.
    Use insect repellent.
    To relieve the itching of a bite, apply a lotion containing calamine. If you have a large local reaction, consider taking an over-the-counter antihistamine, such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl) to see if it helps. Consult your doctor if you're concerned about the severity of your reaction.

5. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

My son (almost 12) just came home from cap with 2 mosquito bites the size of a silver dollar and very very thick. Of course I treated him topically, and then gave him benadryl, but I am very disturbed to think that this could be a sign!! As you all would agree, the thought of our children even coming close to what our pains have been is very much an overwhelming thought.

So, do we get them tested? Any ideas? Is it better to find out early?
  6. turtlelou

turtlelou New Member

Since I was very little I would get huge hives. Also it seems to take longer for the bites and itching to suside on me than on other folks. If I get a lot in one area, ie foot, my foot will actually swell. When I was little my face would swell. I will do a lot to avoid mosquito bites.
  7. offnon

offnon New Member

yeah that stuff you rub on your chest for colds etc. In places were there are a lot of mosquitos there is also Vicks in every home. stops the itching of mosquito and other insect bites.
  8. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

putting a hot wet washcloth on the bite helps to stop the itch--or at least for me.

Yep the squitters have always loved me.
  9. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I seldom get bitten and have very minor reactions to mosquito bites, but all it took was one infected mosquito to come close to killing me with West Nile Virus. Maybe if my immune system had been more reactive I wouldn't have gotten the encephalitis.

Jan
  10. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i have always had a very bad reaction to mosquitoes. iget huge, hard, painful, red bumps from them. the good news is i live in an area where they spray for them so there just aren't to many of the bugs around here to bite me.
    rachel

[ advertisement ]