Most accurate test to test Adrenal dysfunction?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by solipsist66, May 9, 2009.

1. solipsist66

solipsist66 New Member

Hi everyone-

Just curious what the most accurate way to test Adrenal dysfunction is. I am getting an ACTH Stimulation test soon, but I have been reading good and bad things about different testing... That saliva testing is accurate and inaccurate.. same with blood tests. I am so confused! What tests do you all think is the best to get?

2. 3gs

3gs New Member

This is something I desparetly need done but since its first thing in morning havent been able.

My daughter did both. The saliva test is supposed to be good.

I'll watch for answers as this does get very confusing on testing for all the stuff with this dd!

3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

testing the adrenals one time is not going to show you much of have to have them tested several times during the day to see if the levels are changing in the way in which they are supposed to (highest in the morning, lower in the afternoon, and lowest at night)...however, even doing it this way, any of the tests are not super accurate, and even doing it this way, there can be fluctuations from day to day, as the tests are just to give somewhat of any idea - they won't even necessarily give super clear results
  4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

Kina is right IF your adrenals are completely shot....bc by that point they are no longer able to respond properly at all & then that test is the best one to use.....however, if they are getting fatigued, but are not all the way there yet, they can sometimes still respond properly at times, and that test may show that there is nothing wrong, when there actually is.....also, if they are getting fatigued, but not completely there, the levels will tend to bounce around all day...if one of the other tests is used, at times they may appear to be producing too much cortisol and at times too little