Most delicious Cranberry Relish,,,

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by elliespad, Nov 27, 2006.

1. elliespad

elliespad Member

I made this for the first time, this Thanksgiving. It is WONDERFUL. My sister had it at our cousins' home.

1. 1-Bag Fresh Cranberries (cut in half) Yeah right, I threw them in the food processor for a couple seconds)

2. Zest from (1) Orange

3. Juice from (1) Orange

4. 3/4 Cup Sugar

Place in pot and bring to a boil for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Chill and serve.

This was SO DELICIOUS ! Will NEVER buy it in a can again.
  2. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I basically use the same recipe, but you don't have to cut the cranberries in half.

I put them in a sauce pot and stir occasionally. As soon as I hear some popping, I turn off the heat and put the cover on. The residual heat cooks them the rest of the way. They just fall apart.

If you cook cranberries too long, they get bitter.

Don't you love the orange in them? I have to divide the cranberries in my house before adding the orange zest because my hubby really dislikes the orange. My son and I love it! So I call mine the GOOD cranberries and my hubby's the "other cranberries".
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Sounds good. I'll try it for Christmas.

I have a friend who does this same thing but doesn't cook anything. She uses just the raw berries and orange. It's a bit much for me so I'll try the cooked version.

4. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Ellie, you are so right. I've been making Cranberry Relish this way for years. I didn't, however, know that cooking them too long makes them bitter. Thanks to Joyfully for that tip.

I like to add other fruit, depending on my mood and what's on hand. Following the basic recipe (just dump the whole cranberries in the chopping or cutting first) and add golden raisins, cubed apple, chopped or chunked pineapple, etc. I've even added nuts. I've also added gelatin mixed with water or pineapple or apple juice and then pour it into a pretty mold. Before serving, unmold onto a dish....beautiful, ruby red cranberry relish!!