Most ridiculous thing Dr. has said to you PART# 2

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sues1, Jun 25, 2005.

1. sues1

sues1 New Member

My Dr. retires. He had said I had CFIDS/FIRBO.I see new Dr. New Dr. runs tests. I was not sure about FIBRO/CFIDS myself, too new and strange to me. I am keeping an open mind.
    I go back to his office a week later after tests and blood work. I could hardly walk ito his office. I sit, he is late coming back to the office. Nurse hands me a magazine and leaves. I was barely able to keep it in my lap.....I was weak and my body was trying to slide off the chair and land on the carpet and I felt I would be absorbed by the carpet, as I was to weak to keep form. I had noticed that the magazine was Good Housekeeping. I grinned to myself as I had same magazine at home, got it the month before, but it was still unread.
    The magazine was slipping from my grasp and I grabbed it and it OPENED TO AN ARTICLE ON CFIDS. (Praise God). But my vision was hazy and words jumped around. So I closed the magazine.
    The new Dr. that ran all these tests comes in. I said, "This magazine has an article on CFIDS"....
    HE GRABS THE MAGAZINE and tossed it across his office, it bounced off the wall. He yelled, "There is no such thing, that is a garbage can syndrome. You Americans just don't want to work".....and he went on to say all my tests came back good, oh it did show that I had MONO, but it has cleared up.....up are okay.!!!!!!!!.......I left his office crying, I could not talk because I was so upset and so sick.

Later when I did read the article at home......MONO was a suspected reason for activating chronic fatigue, or involved somehow..at that time. If he had read upon CFIDS at all........ he would of known.
  2. elsa

elsa New Member

years ago ob/gyn wanted to try anti-depressants for PMS.

The last one I agreed to try had me vomitting and dog tired and miserable and no sex drive. ( I didn't know that was one of the killer side effects at the time.)

Dr. said " Of course you don't want sex....nobody wants sex while their throwing up.....just keep taking them."

I started weaning myself off of them that day and never went back.

[This Message was Edited on 06/26/2005]
  3. itscarrie

itscarrie New Member

I'm not interested in that ! 06/25/05 09:42 PM

Just over a week ago I went to the docs for some pain meds as my pain was flaring. And also I had a throat infection. I rarely use strong painkillers as I try to avoid them and put up with the pain or use a Tylenol 2 or 3 ...
    I asked for some help for the pain just a few days worth ( the last time he prescribed any for me was February!!)

He wrote a prescription for my throat (antibiotics) and I said "Oh the pain killers for my pain !" He continued taking my blood pressure and said " Oh this is very high, you will end up having a stroke or a heart attack...do you know what I mean by stroke ? " He then started drooping one side of his face like a stroke patient,I thought he had gone mad. He filled out forms for tests for my blood to be tested for my blood pressure..and expected me to leave...

I again asked for the pain meds for my fibro pain...He said "I'm not interested in that !!!... your blood pressure is far more important" I said I needed pain medication or my blood pressure will go through the roof for sure.

He prescribed me Oxcontin 10mg just one to be taken before bed !!!!! Of course they didn't do squat until I took 2 or 3 (and NOT before bed as suggested. ) He told me the blood pressure was my age (38)...I have to go back for the results of the blood tests...after I get them and any referrals...its Bye Bye Lunatic to him ...MD must stand for Mentally Deficient in his case
  4. tanyasue

tanyasue New Member

Obssesive Compulsive disorder. She told me that if I just clapped my hands it would stop.

I did try it, but only so I could say she was wrong!

ts
  5. neen85

neen85 New Member

when getting up at night or very early of a morning to go to the bathroom,let the dog out etc...........(X-doc stated) "Sometimes we just never know why people pass out."

On the first visit to Dr. Jerome Block,he did a heart rate variation test and explained that the passing out was due to the sympathetic and parasympathetic systems being out-of-balance. They are supposed to be nearly equal.....I ws stuck in fight-or-flight mode.

There are worse and more ugly things.....and I have been hung up on by the "center" that gave me the horrid back injury. That is all for now. Daneen
  6. sues1

sues1 New Member

Maybe I errored.........I started another listing of messages that Patchwork started. It was getting so large and I kept going back to try and find certain ones. I think there is 109 replies now. WOW PATCHWORK, you really came up with a popular subject for replies! If I offended anyone or such, I am sorry. I should of thought first.

Elsa.....if this was a contest........yours might of been the winner! Makes a person both laugh and cry........that is a odd one!
    Love to everyone and gentle HUGS!
  7. Pinkgirl

Pinkgirl New Member

My symptoms kicked into high gear after a really really bad bout of the flu. It felt like the flu never went away and that's when I did the majority of my dr shoppig, and I coldn't believe some of the things these idiots said!

*"The flu can last up to 2 years, we don't know a whole lot about it..." !?!?!?!

*"Perhaps you like having the flu, and just like hanging on to these sypmtoms. Come back when you are ready to feel better."

*"I don't know how you are keeping you blood pressure elevated but you need to knock it off so we can tell when something serious is going on." (I was in so much pain it was through the roof!)

*"I don't want to dx you with anything serious, you're too young."

*"Well, FM gets better w/ age, so this gives you a reason to look forward to getting old!"
    from the same dr "When you're actually old, you'll have a lot of practice feeling old!"
    "I'm sorry there is nothing I can do to treat you, would you like a rx for an apology?"
    "Giving you medications for pain would be like spitting on a forrest fire, and I don't feel like wasting my time and the gov't's money on it."

I have a lot more such as "Do you know how many medications you're on?!?!" -asked after I handed him a detailed sheet of all of my meds and alergies

I could go on and on and on, I'm sure I'm not alone in the that... maybe I'll post more later. I do love hearing everyone else's! It's nice to laugh at something that usually causes so many tears.

Hugs to all,
    Love
  8. KelB

KelB New Member

Rheumy - who had ordered a scan and x-rays when investigating joint pain in my hands and arms - told me "Absolutely nothing showed up, there's nothing wrong with you." And this was when there was a visible swelling in the joint at the base of my right thumb.

Rheumy told me that he didn't want to see me again and implied that women invent this sort of problem to get out of work or to get attention.

Five years later my thumb became unusable and had to be reconstructed by some rather unimpressed plastic surgeons. At least I wasn't the only one who through the Rheumy was a total wally!

Much to my horror, I was referred back to him this year as he's the local CFS "expert". Thankfully he passed me on to people who could help. The funniest thing was that he noted I'm hypermobile. Well, he denied that til he was blue in the face last time - told me I was imagining that as well! The difference being that I've seen another Rheumy in between who told me without prompting that I'm hypermobile. Guess Dr Wally couldn't get round that one.
  9. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

i was "diagnosed" with rough cartlidge at the age of about 9, my symptoms started at about 6,7,8 years of age.
    he said rough cartlidge because my joints grind and clunk and appear to get stuck.

so it grew and became more widespread and painful and i saw a rhuemy who then tld me i was making it up and attention seeking-i was 16 at this point and he was looking for r/a.

as a result i wouldnt go back until hubby forced me- i was taking as much as i could get my hands on of over the counter meds and it wasnt touching me-obviously lol

if enough of us post here im sure the same dr would crop up at some point-lets strike some one off :D

when i was finally dx,he said i had to tkae prozac as all ppl with fm get depressed-i refused and hesadi if i dont help my self he is not going to offer me hydrotherapy and that i had to go away and smile for thirty years and come back when i can see i need his prozac,nice eh?

smiffy
  10. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

"There is no such thing as M.E. (CFS), I have examined you & found you fit to work" (my doc said this repeatedly in 1988 & 9 - due to being unable to rest, I subsequently became severely disabled with FMS).
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

One was said to me and the other was on TV.

Dr. Weil was on the Paula Zahn Show and he said treating autoimmune illness was fun and that falling in love was the best cure. I could almost hear, "Quack, quack, quack," in the background.

My rheumy told me that there is no such thing as chronic mycoplasma infection. It was a mycoplasma infection which triggered my illnesses. In a way, it's good that he said this because it was the impetus to my researching mycoplasma infections. Never did I expect to find the wonderful work of Dr. Garth Nicolson on chronic mycoplasma infections and how they can trigger Gulf War Illness, FMS, CFIDS, and a whole slew of other illnesses.

The next time I saw him and he asked if my medications had changed, I mentioned that I was on Doxycycline for chronic mycoplasma infection. He said nothing but noted it in the chart.

Love, Mikie
  12. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

A few years ago, in fact the year before I got this dd, I went into the doctor with chest pain, dizzyness and some very scary palpitations, My doctor gave me his largest most beatific Godlike smile and said "women don't get heart disease".

Pretty scary huh???

A year later this same doctor told me that I had a viral infection and that a study had been done during one of the world wars (I forget which one) That proved that exercise did not delay recovery in viral illnesses, so that even if my virus happened to take 6 weeks to clear up I should keep up all my normal physical activities. Enough said there I think! We live on a farm - kinda like basic training every day. I don't think I would be bedridden if I had not followed that advice.

And last but not least, when I called him some weeks later to talk about how I was actually getting worse, I asked him about CFIDS (my mom had found a book and brought it to me), and he said "well, you MIGHT have that, but there's nothing that can be done about it. To hear that over the phone!!!! I felt like I'd been dropped off a cliff.

Oh well, I have a new doctor now!!! A good one too, so I'm lucky.

Hang in there everyone, Gretchen
  13. violarose1

violarose1 New Member

oh sues1 ((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))) my heart hurts for you!!! my mouth hung open!!!((())))))) i hope u ditched that doctor and hopefully complained about him.

one doctor said " go home and be a good mom to your kids" and basically told me that my suffering wasnt real. for me that hurt my feelings because i try my best to be the best mom i can be, i love being a mom

i have been accused of being a pill popper although i only take depakote and paxil. been accused my seizures arent related to me having menigities but behavior seizures- oh i wanted to strangle the doctor, i have been thru sooo much!!!! i hate seizures!!! i wish all the er staff could go in and tell my neurologist and make her listen!!!

i am finally getting some respect but it took 3 long years!

i have high blood pressure too when i am sick- like from my seizures, and stuff, but normally i dont think i have high blood pressure- how can u tell?
  14. violarose1

violarose1 New Member

i was on vacation alone with friends in minnesota and i started having my grandmals, and couldnt get them in control so they took me to a hospital and they kicked me out because i had marijuna in my system. he was mad too because i had xanax in my system, a friend gave it to me to see if it would relax my body. i was too sick to be removed from the hospital but i was kicked out so my friends took me back to the hotel and watched over me adn my husband came up the next day to get me home.
  15. abbylee

abbylee New Member

"If you eat only fruits and veges you might live longer...."

My reply...

"I live in pain every day. Why would I want to love longer!!!"

abbylee
  16. darude

darude New Member

Can't believe all these things doctors say. Absolutely disgusting. When i initially went to the Neuro (blackouts, dizziness, legs not working) he asked me how much alchohol I drank. YA REALLY! My response was People with CFS/FMS can't drink! Now he has proof on MRI on problems hes trying to say they are insignificant. A tumour and forty lesions combined with a positive ANA.
  17. BabiCati

BabiCati New Member

who told me that FMS does not exist that Americans and Europeans have so much time on their hands they make up diseases. She said people in Africa do not have FMS. I had been out of work for a couple of weeks due to a pinched nerve at the time.

She told me I needed a husband and three kids and all my "pains" would go away. Mind you I had had my first panic attack the night before due to the meds and the pain and she tells me this! If I weren't mentally stable I think I would have done something desperate that night. I told her my mom had a husband, three kids, seven dogs and a job and pain still wore her out. She had no answer.

I told my regular doctor (she was filling in for her temporarily) and they fired her the next day! Always complain to partners or the AMA. Maybe if they get enough complaints they'll do something!

Lourdes
  18. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I went to see a new HMO doc for a sinus infection and had to fill out all the new patient forms, and I put down that I had CFIDS (with exhaustion, am on disability, etc.) So the doctor comes in, looks at the forms and says to me, "so you're in pretty good health, aren't you?" And I say no, I have CFIDS, etc. And she says, "I don't treat that". I never went back to her again. And she was young -- I had thought younger doctors might be more open-minded, but they're not.
  19. florenceb

florenceb New Member

I could write a book of quotations about this!

When I questioned a dr why she was ordering tests that I had just had a few weeks before I saw her she said: YOU ARE FRUSTRATING THE HELL OUT OF ME!............As if SHE knows what REAL frustration is.........!
  20. KarrinneSleepyhead

KarrinneSleepyhead New Member

My former PCP said to me after I went to him complaining of neck/shoulder pain, migraines and debilitating fatigue, "Well, I can't see anything wrong with you. I don't know how to treat it when there's nothing wrong with you I can see." Did no tests, no meds, just go home and rest honey. Yeah right. Just like every other freakin' night of the world!!!
    Current PCP, "You probably have FMS, but I don't want to write that down as a diagnosis - it doesn't mean anything anyway." Thanks pal I needed that.
    NICEST thing said by a doc:
    Newly found pain doc last week, "I am SO sorry no one has ever examined your back and neck. I CANNOT believe with your history that no one has ever done xrays of your neck."
    I nearly kissed him when he said that!!!!
    [This Message was Edited on 06/26/2005]