Mother admits aiding ME suicide

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bluebottle, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

"A mother of a prominent ME sufferer and campaigner has admitted aiding and abetting the suicide of her daughter.

Bridget Kathleen Gilderdale, 54, of Stonegate, near Heathfield, Sussex, pleaded guilty to the charge at Lewes Crown Court.

But she denied a charge of attempted murder and one of aiding and abetting attempted suicide.

Lynn Gilderdale, 31, who had chronic fatigue syndrome, or ME, was found dead at their home on 4 December.

The offences are alleged to have taken place between 2 December and 4 December.

Judge Richard Brown set a provisional trial date for 12 January 2010 and ordered the case to be tried by a High Court judge.

After Ms Gilderdale was charged, her family said she retained their "unconditional support".

Lynn Gilderdale battled ME for 17 years, relatives said. "

(shouldn't it be the GOBSARTS who have taken all the UK taxpayers funding for research and treatment of M.E., whilst insisting that it is an 'abnormal illness belief', who stand trial for this poor young woman's death, & not her grieving, loving mother? Lynn was very severely affected and in dreadful pain. Professor Wessely stated only recently that severe M.E. is just a form of deconditioning.)
  2. DavidJ.

DavidJ. New Member

i never heard about her. this is sad. R.I.P
  3. brightraven

brightraven Member

My heart goes out to the Gilderdale family. I have followed Lynn's story for awhile, and thought she was incredibly brave.

I agree -- those on trial should be the doctors and government who have long insisted that ME/CFS is merely a mental illness, resulting in no viable biomedical treatments for someone like Lynn and the rest of us afflicted with this illness.
  4. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

For someone to reach that point in their lives to where death is better than living is so very tragic. There have been days where I was so lost and down, I can relate to this womans pain.
  5. brightraven

brightraven Member

As I understand it, she had really severe ME/CFS... about as severe as it gets. She was fully bedbound, couldn't move her legs, was fed through a feeding tube, couldn't speak, etc. She was in her early 30's and had been sick since she was 14. Very tragic.
  6. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Thanks so much for posting this. It sure is tragic.

I'm sorry to see that Lynn's mother pleaded guilty. I so hope that the jury lets her off. What she did was done out of love and compassion.