Mother charged with death of M.E. dughter

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bluebottle, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

"A mother was charged yesterday with attempting to kill her paralysed bedridden daughter.

Kay Gilderdale, 54, was the full-time carer of her daughter Lynn, 31, who had suffered from myalgic encephalopathy - also known as ME or chronic fatigue syndrome - for 17 years.

After Lynn was found dead from a suspected morphine overdose last December, Mrs Gilderdale's ex-husband Richard, a former police sergeant, raised the alarm.

Lynn suffered from ME for 17 years and was paralysed by the illness
    Kay Gilderdale returning home following her arrest for the suspected murder of her daughter Lynette

Kay Gilderdale returning home in December following her arrest for the suspected murder of her daughter

Mrs Gilderdale - a prominent campaigner for greater understanding of the disease - was arrested two hours later on suspicion of murder and released on bail.

If convicted she could potentially face a maximum sentence of life imprisonment.

After she was arrested, her family issued a statement praising her 'total dedication' to her daughter.

The Crown Prosecution Service's decision to charge her is likely to reignite the debate on mercy killing in this country and will highlight an apparent inconsistency in the law.

Lynn had been receiving a cocktail of drugs for her debilitating condition which her family believe began after she had a tuberculosis immunisation in 1991.

Before that she had played the piano and clarinet, won prizes for ballet and loved swimming.

But over the years her body became steadily weaker, losing the use of her legs and the ability to speak and had to eat food through a tube.

Since Mrs Gilderdale's arrest her family have stood by her.

In a statement released at the time of Lynn's death, her family said: 'Lynn was young, beautiful, loving and caring. At the age of 14 years she was struck down by ME - an illness greatly misunderstood - and as a result, suffered the stigma attached to this dreadful illness.

'She fought long and hard for 17 years with immense bravery, enduring constant pain and sickness. Every system of her body was affected. She required 24-hour care that was provided by her totally dedicated mother, with continuous support from Lynn's father.

Sussex Police have said that Mr Gilderdale, who split from his wife in 2002, and now works in a civilian role is not suspected in any role in his daughter's death.

The couple, who also have a son, Steven, 34, have said their divorce had not been caused by their daughter's illness.

In a statement, police said: 'Kathleen Gilderdale, 54, of Stonegate, has been charged that between December 2 and December 4 2008, she attempted to murder Lynn Gilderdale, who was found dead at her home in Stonegate, near Heathfield, on December 4 last year.

'She has been bailed to appear at Brighton Magistrates' Court on Tuesday next week."

(the immensely powerful UK psychiatrists still insist that M.E. is alll in our heads, whilst taking all government research and treatment funding)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1170522/Devoted-mother-charged-attempted-murder-paralysed-daughter-bed-ridden-17-years.html
  2. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Thank you for posting this. I remember Lynn. Here's a picture of her bedridden:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-393915/Trapped-bed-14-years-chronic-fatigue.html

Thank God she isn't suffering anymore. May her soul rest in peace.

It's interesting that they say she got ME after a TB vaccine. Makes me think of Sue saying we were dosed. That phrase keeps ringing in my head.

It's so wrong that her dedicated mother is being accused of murder. This is the second mom in that situation with a daughter who dies of CFS that I recall. First they won't acknowledge that this is a real illness, then they arrest our caretakers for murder when we die. Where is the outrage? Oh yeah, we're too sick and no one else really gets it.

tee

[This Message was Edited on 04/17/2009]
  3. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I feel like we live during the Burning Times of the Witch Trials. She never ever should have been arrested. Whether or not she actually did give her daughter an overdose, it would have been an act of mercy at that point. I think it's cruel to force us to live with this and in particular those who are so severely affected. None of this is fair.
  4. pacotaco

pacotaco New Member

Thanks for sharing so many articles that i would never have caught. I feel for the mom.No mother that would have given a daughter so much love by giving swimming lessons, dance, and piano,so on could be accused of murder. I agree that maybe it was a mercy doing, but poor lyn was suffering so. I hope I have a way out if my life was to get worse and i needed one. I think she {mom} needs our prayers because she has a double whammy hitting her. Being arrested and loosing her beloved daughter.
  5. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Felt this needed to be bumped as I already didn't see it on the first 3 pages today.

6. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

They updated this article again: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1170522/Devoted-mother-charged-attempted-murder-paralysed-daughter-bed-ridden-17-years.html

This article mentions Daniel James who did not have ME but became paralyzed from a rugby accident. His parents weren't charged with murder so why is Lynn's mom being charged?

Witch hunt is exactly right!

Reading the comments from one of the older articles is interesting. There are still people who think Lynn was just depressed even after reading the article. There are others who think it was murder because ME is "curable". There are PWCs there too trying to explain how it really is.

One person wrote that they don't have to be a doctor to know that an illness with symptoms resembling the flu does not need morphine.

There is a big part of the problem! We need to stop emphasizing the flu-like symptoms of ME/CFS. In truth, this isn't like any flu I've ever had although I do catch flu after flu with this as well.

[This Message was Edited on 04/19/2009]
  7. simpsons

simpsons Member

lynn had tried to overdose before and her mother was not charged with attempted murder. so why now.

you can find her picture on the 25 per cent website they have still got her on there. http://www.25megroup.org/News/news.htm

that is link to their website news page which they talk of this devastating story.

if anyone wanted to send their condolences this would be the place.

i would often cry when i saw the picture by her bed of her in her ballet outfit.

i also became ill after vaccinations there definately needs more researh into this. prof wessley has a lot to answer for

i only pray that she has good legal representation and that the family can afford to hire someone very good. although worry this may not be the case.

god bless her mother and all the family
  8. simpsons

simpsons Member

lynn had tried to overdose before and her mother was not charged with attempted murder. so why now.

you can find her picture on the 25 per cent website they have still got her on there. http://www.25megroup.org/News/news.htm

that is link to their website news page which they talk of this devastating story.

if anyone wanted to send their condolences this would be the place.

i would often cry when i saw the picture by her bed of her in her ballet outfit.

i also became ill after vaccinations there definately needs more researh into this. prof wessley has a lot to answer for

i only pray that she has good legal representation and that the family can afford to hire someone very good. although worry this may not be the case.

god bless her mother and all the family
  9. 3gs

3gs New Member

I watched this video. Heartbreaking. This is the third UK death from ME that have mothers being charged with murder. What is up with this?

Have been following a guy that last post it looked like lyme. Kazoom in UK. alot of videos are from there.

hoping for changes from these
  10. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

A lot of us are healthcare workers and have had to get the TB test yearly. I remember one year a friend of mine, also a direct-care worker, and I received the test together that year and immedialtely afterward we both felt dizzy for a minute.

What was it about that test that year?

That was the only time I reacted to one. Maybe there is a connection to receiving them each year.

I stopped the hepatitis vaccine after the first one. They come in a series of 3. After I read up on it, I wouldn't continue.
  11. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Do you know who the other 2 mothers are that were charged with murder? I'd like to find articles about them.

tee