Motion/movement causes panic?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sidereus, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Sidereus

Sidereus New Member

Hello,

I have an extreme problem while driving, and while being a paassenger. Panic-like symptoms ensue within a few minutes. It is severe and extreme. I have to pull over and stop the car.

Also, when moving on objects where I can't feel balance. For example: escalators, swings, boats, etc.

Perhaps you'll recall the feeling when riding a roller coaster - the g-force or going over a hill quickly and your stomach "disappears". It's similar to that except it is frightening(!) not fun.

Balance problems have been an issue since this started. Does this trigger extreme panic in anyone else?

As always, I look forward to your comments.

Richard
  2. epicurean

epicurean New Member

I don't get panic attacks,but I do get dizzy,and get a feeling like I am going to topple over on escaltors.
    I also start to feel bad if I'm at a stoplight and there's a lot of fast moving traffic in the opposite direction.
    these are all new since developing FM
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Here in our library. Anxiety and sensory overload are common with us. This article does a good job of explaining why.

Since taking Klonopin, these kind of sensitivities, such as anxiety from movement, have greatly diminished.

Love, Mikie
  4. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

When you feel this coming on, be sure to breathe deep with your STOMACH, not your chest. Inhale slowly and deeply through your nose until your lungs are full, hold your breath for about 3 seconds, then exhale slowly through pursed lips. Do this a few times and you will feel better!! It will definitely stop the panic in its tracks.

Marilyn :)
  5. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I have had this same problem at least 10 years now. Went searching all kinds of drs to find out why I have this motion disorder. The ENT said Benign postional vertigo--but I really don't spin like vertigo--just very off balance. The neurologist saw that I can't walk heel to toe, but no explanation. MRI of the brain--OK. My first panic attack years ago started while driving and getting this dizziness at the wheel. I drove for awhile, but the last few years the motion problem has gotten worse along with my FM symptoms. I gave up driving because of this. I don't take Klonopin but I do take a dot dose of Xanax and this helps me with the anxiety of motion disorder. I do know that when my allergies get out of hand--my ears get full and my balance gets worse. On those days I take some meclazine (sp) Bonine OTC to help with dizziness and queasiness of the stomach due to motion sickness. I think the best thing is to do vestibular exercise to desensitize the brain against motion problems--they do work if you stick with them. But like anything else, when I feel better I quit and then think about these when my balance problems flare up again. There is no clinical data that says this problem is due to FM, but I personally think there is a corelation.
    Tania
  6. achy

achy New Member

Ditto to everything you mentioned.I also HATE to drive thru shadows..like early in the am or late, when sun setting and the shadows from the trees cross the road...I get really spaced out.
    One time a few months ago I had a really bad attack..I hadn't been out of the house for 2 weeks...too weak and sickly. Hubby had a few errands and offerd me a trip to Wallmart (yes, I'm easy)
    We live 45 miles from "the city"
    We got about 1/2 way there and drove past the paper mill...If you haven't been by one it snells like a dirty baby diaper..or a BURNING dirty diaper - LOL
    A few miles further they were re-roofing a house and the Tar smell was gross...the final straw was Churches Chicken cooking....I lost it and puked. Talk about sensory overload!
    Need less to say I did not make it to walmart.Hubby did his errand and brought me home. I was bedridden the rest of the day.
    I can't ride escalators either!!
    Warm fuzzies
    Achy

[ advertisement ]