Motivation problems with FM, chronic pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I am having such a problem with motivation. There is so much to do, yet I just don't have the motivation to do them. I have FM, migrains, chronic hip and low spine pain, TMJ, fatigue, etc.

Although I am chronically bothered by FM, sometimes my flare ups are just too much to handle. When I get like this, my motivation to do anything is down to zero. I work full time, help take care of my elderly mom, do all her bills as well as mine, and have to make most of the important decisions.

I do not believe this is from depression alone. Anyone with chronic pain and multiple issues like we have with FM is bound to feel depression and a lack of motivation. Sometimes I just can't get moving because of these problems, and my will to do anything is gone. I would just rather lay on the couch with a hot water bottle to my body then to think about the laundry, cleaning the house, getting ready for work the next day balancing two checkbooks, and so on.

The problem is, I WILL JUST LAY ON THE COUCH, sometimes the whole weekend, just to get some strength to do my full time job from Monday thru Friday.

I hesitate to mention this to my doctor because I'm afraid she will want to whip out the prescription pad for antidepressants, which for many reasons, I will not do.

I actually had to "will" myself to write this post, it is hard to do when your "will " is mostly gone. Thanks for listening. Hugs, Chelz.
  2. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Hi Chelz,

I understand how you feel. I don't think it's a matter or willpower in your case, or in most of our cases. I think your body needs a lot more recharge time because you're in chronic pain. Our bodies know what we need and unfortunately that often contradicts how we want or need to live our lives.

I think this is one of the worst things about being struck by these DDs. It isn't your fault though. You sound like you work as hard as you're able to to me and you really have a full plate with all you do.

3. 3gs

3gs New Member

4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I have NONE, ZIP, ZERO, NADA... I totally understand where you are coming from. It is more than just wanting to lay on the couch. It is a lack of 'will' like you described. I have NO desire to do anything above what I am required to do and believe me, that takes effort.

I don't know what's happened to me, but I do know that there is a mental aspect to this for me - whether it's the chicken or the egg I don't know which came first.

The few and I mean few, times I have done something (met family for breakfast) it DOES feel good to do something, to get out etc. and I notice it., but man, I can barely get in the shower some days. I work as well - three part time jobs and I know I"m whipped, but I haven't balanced my checkbook in months (I used to balance to the penny) I DREAD this week because I have so many things going on. I'd rather lay on the couch.

I SO understand where you are coming from. I wish I knew what the answer was...I do know that I am going to have to force myself to do some things-otherwise I'm going to waste away on my couch with my heating pad. I know that I will also get into a worse funk than I'm already slipping into.

Do mention this to your Dr. maybe there is another reason - low 'something'? if you don't want to take anti-depressants, she can't force you to. I on the other hand am on them and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference for me. hmm.

5. wendysj

wendysj New Member

Sounds to me like you do more than most people - FM or no FM! I don't think you should blame yourself for putting responsibility down for a weekend. That's what I tell my boyfriend if I've had a tough week... "I'm going to put all responsibility down this weekend and do nothing." I don't do it more than once a month but I do it when I need it. I also do it during the week if I've had a really hard day.

You will have to learn how to balance... Weave some of that weekend "lay on the couch" into your week nights when you feel you need it. It's hard to find balance for those of us who still work but you can do it... Trial and error. I've actually started to rest for 15 minutes at lunch. It helps quite a bit!

Good luck and be proud of all you do accomplish!