Mottled looking skin?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Apr 14, 2003.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Does anyone have this??Hopefully describing it as mottled is close enough~ I have had this on&off on my legs mostly.But the last week its been on my lower stomach too.(looks like alot of blood in the veins,close to the surface)I find it odd because thats where i've had alot of pain lately too. Just above my groin area on the left side only.Going up into either the kidney area or ovary.
    Does this indicate anything?? I had heard of some people here saying that theres a tender/trigger point that can get irritated in that spot,common in FM? What do you's think? I'm a little concerned~
    Thanks alot for reading&answering~
    ((Hugs)),
    Tracey
  2. catnip51

catnip51 New Member

All my doctors have noticed it and thats what they say as soon as they see me in the office. They ask how long have I had this mottled skin. I tell them for years on end. I think it according to docs its seen alot in people like us with autoimmune, FM. Mine is all over, legs, arms, tummy. Not sure what it means docs never gave me a direct answer except it is noticed alot and must mean something. Ask your doc what he thinks about it curious to see if you get any answers.

Cathie
  3. tandy

tandy New Member

I need more answers on this.Thanks!
  4. dojomo

dojomo New Member

ALL over my body. It looks really bad...and when an MD sees it...they become very concerned and are sure I have an autoimmune disorder .......but when the lab tests come back "paper perfect"..The symptom is ignored.....

The medical term for this is Livedo Reticularis..and it is usually associated with autoimune disorders. Here is some info for ya.......

livedo reticularis

By Lynn West, MD
    Livedo reticularis is a disorder in which blood vessels are constricted, or narrowed. It results in mottled discoloring on large areas of the legs or arms.

What is going on in the body?
    The mottled look seen in a person with livedo reticularis occurs when some of the blood vessels feeding the skin go into spasm. Anything that decreases blood flow further, such as exposure to cold, will make the condition worse.

What are the signs and symptoms of the condition?
    Symptoms of livedo reticularis include a mottled, or lace-like, appearance of reddish blue areas on the skin. The mottling is more apparent on the thighs and forearms, and sometimes the lower abdomen. It is more pronounced in cold weather.

What are the causes and risks of the condition?
    The exact cause of livedo reticularis is unknown. It is felt to be due to spasm of the blood vessels. It occurs more often in women, and usually begins when a person is in his or her thirties.

What can be done to prevent the condition?
    To minimize livedo reticularis, a person can avoid cold temperatures.
    How is the condition diagnosed?
    Livedo reticularis is diagnosed by the appearance of the skin.

What are the long-term effects of the condition?
    Livedo reticularis may in time become permanent, rather than just being associated with cold. Ulcers in the lower extremities may occur in severe cases.

What are the risks to others?
    There are no risks to others, as livedo reticularis is not contagious.
    What are the treatments for the condition?
    There is no treatment for livedo reticularis.

What are the side effects of the treatments?
    There are no side effects, since there is no treatment.

What happens after treatment for the condition?
    Livedo reticularis is an ongoing disorder and not expected to clear entirely.

How is the condition monitored?
    Livedo reticularis can be monitored by the affected person. Any new or worsening symptoms should be reported to a healthcare provider.
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

The info you've provided is great! I just checked this on my way out(so to say)So i'll read this in full when I get home.Maybe I can absorb the info better when i'm setting still for a few hrs!!!LOL I read it...but being in a rush to get to my appointment-I did'nt retain anything!!! sorta in one ear and out the other~(foggy!!)
    I promise to get back to this this afternoon. Thanks again~
    Hugs,
    Tracey
  6. ladydi

ladydi New Member

Tandy, first let me say, I would probably never thought to ask about this. My skin is very pale anyway. But, I have noticed over the last year or so, that my thighs (my worst pain area) are pink, blueish-purple, and flesh colored. I really thought this was from the hours I spend massaging them from the pain I have there.
    I have the worst spasms in my thighs that you would ever think anyone could have. But, I never thought, (as dojo pointed out in the article) that it was the "blood vessels"
    spasming. I for-sure thought it was the muscles. Maybe it's both. I take a**** load of muscle relaxers, and I find that I get pretty good results. But.... if the spasms are coming from the blood vessels, then, what Jelly talks about in "hypercoagulation" ... that could be a cause as well.
    I tell ya, Tandy, there is so much info on here it is just remarkable to me. It's becoming so much easier for me to put 2 & 2 together. (at times)
    I guess we never think of the outside things like our skin, would really give us a clue, as to what's going on in
    side the body. Hope that sentence makes sence.
    Dojo, thanks for your info, makes sense.

Jelly, tell us more on the treatment of mottled skin.

And Tandy, I'm so inspired today, because, I'm going to see a new Rhummy on the 23. This is something I can ask him about. My old Rhummy is not a listener. I'm also going to put this in my journal today, so I can show it to him when I go. Maybe, he'll test me for the hypercoaculation.

Sorry this got so long, but, when I get caught on something that "really" "reaches" me, I jump on it. I guess you can tell that already. I'm not always on the net, but,usually by 11;00 am my time, the west coast is getting on too. I'll try to stay tuned. I want to learn more from both you and Jelly, and who ever else has this condition.

Warm wishes,
    diane

[This Message was Edited on 04/15/2003]
  7. tandy

tandy New Member

Any others,and jelly???about the aspirin??
    Diane,glad to have touched on something that you were wondering about too!Its always good to see others are having the same thoughts on certain symptoms~ I'll look into this hyper stuff more.I did a little today but boy is it something in depth that will take awhile to absorb and search out.I'll post again soon.
    Take care,
    Tracey
  8. Lachesis

Lachesis New Member

and has for about 6 years... it is always molten looking... very discolored but her problem is it SWELLS horridly.It causes her horrible pain. The doctor she saw in Seattle said it is NOT the type linked to Fibro. He has NO idea whats going on but took 7 things of blood and is running every test out there....

The discolor is always there, but the swelling comes and goes. Sometimes she does nothing AT all with her and other days she will clean and it will swell on days she does nothing and not swell much on days she really uses or vice versa.
  9. lease79

lease79 New Member

bad for the last twelve months or so.
    I went from having really nice skin, to horrible purple mottled legs with little blood vessles everywhere & the doc just dismissed it!
    Put it down to pregnancy & having babies putting stress on my legs. Funny thing is I'd had three children at the time & never a spot or vein. When it started I WASN'T pregnant at all!

Lease
  10. rosella

rosella New Member

I honestly thought I was the only one in the world with this problem. Mine has extended from my forearms to my face. It's continually red & I get anxiety attacks just looking at it. What can be done, please?
  11. louise1

louise1 New Member

hi tracey
    i just noticed splotchy mottled looking skin on my arms. my fibro is very very active right now and i feel ill. pulling muscles, flu like, just plain sick. them mottled skin scared me a bit til i saw others get this that have fibro bon