mouth and nose sores????? YUCK...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kadywill, Sep 3, 2002.

1. kadywill

kadywill New Member

The reason the Immunologists at Duke thought I had Lupus in 1987 was because I had chronic mouth and nose sores. I have never had a "cold sore" or a "fever blister." These are all inside my nose and mouth. They occur during a flare-up. Anyone else have these? Anything help?
    Thanks!
    Be well,
    Kady
  2. kadywill

kadywill New Member

The reason the Immunologists at Duke thought I had Lupus in 1987 was because I had chronic mouth and nose sores. I have never had a "cold sore" or a "fever blister." These are all inside my nose and mouth. They occur during a flare-up. Anyone else have these? Anything help?
    Thanks!
    Be well,
    Kady
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I only get a fever blister now and than. But I remember someone else asking about mouth sores on the board before.

Hopefully they will see your post.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I get them also. I get them on my tongue, it swells & hurts. I just recently started getting lip sores. I have had genital herpes 2.5 yrs, I think the prob may be candida related, thrush. I dunno, I am just grasping at straws like the rest of us but I do feel your pain!

Jaci
  5. karenanne

karenanne New Member

I have had both types for nearly 20 years now. No-one has ever made any connection between them before other than saying that they 'must' be candida related and to give me Nystatin compounds for both. Didn't work, of course.

Several years ago i saw an ENT man and he made no connection. Concerning the nasal sores which got so bad they would begin to bleed any time and every time I blew my nose. They also became infected and very, very painful.

The verdict of this medical wise man was to dab the nasal ones dry then to use some glycerine smoothed on with a clean finger to prevent the top crusting, and continually comeing off and making the sores larger.

To some extent that worked but not in curing the sores or treating them.

I didn't know it was considered a 'sign' of Lupus. In my case I have been tested for Lupus and it was clear.

At the moment I am using Aloe Vera gel which helps the sores to heal more quickly but that is not effective until they are past the worst anyway. The other thing I have been given is nasal and local steroid preparations which i would prefer not to use. Don' help much either!

So, if you find any answers or solutions that work, PLEASE let me know!!
    Karenanne
  6. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I found the connection between the two in my Merck Manual, very helpful book, I find everything I want it it and they are online also.

Jaci
  7. dlizard

dlizard New Member

I've had these... mostly mouth sores. miserable stuff.... I take diflucan ( yeast med) and suck on mycelex trouches for relief. I also was diagnosed with lupus in the 80's only to be changed to fibro this year... and this diagnosis makes lots more sense. I know these sores hurt bad. I've begun to try to eliminate the sugars from my diet and I haven't had any lately. They kinda come and go. I have no clue when ,except after each trip to the dentist. Good luck!
  8. jackiec

jackiec New Member

I recently was diagnosed with thrush (having the white coating on my tongue)--was given Nystatin which helped, but it's still there. Have complained of the nose sores for years, and they improved when I stopped taking allergy meds daily, but never went away. At least now they don't clog my nose so much I can't breathe through it. Have noticed in the past few weeks that I have raw spots on the roof of my mouth and wonder if they are related to the thrush....plan to ask my doctor about it at next appt. Sept. 12. (I've never been tested for Lupus, but it is in my family).

Will be interested in following this thread, I've seen a few suggestions I want to try. Thanks everyone.

J.C.
  9. dorothy

dorothy New Member

I get nose sores a lot. sometimes pimples in the nose, and they really hurt. My nose is always drying out and in the winter it gets so bad it cracks and splits inside and bleeds. Once in the blue moon I'll get a cancker sore in my mouth on the gum and man do they hurt. I got some kind of steroid cream stuff (it's kinda funcky) to put on the canckers and it works really well. But the nose pimples/sores are very annoying. I just put a little neosporin or bacitracin in there when they really give me a hard time. don't know what else to do

Well just wanted to share
    Dorothy
  10. Sweetmia

Sweetmia New Member

I don't get sores in my nose, but I do have dryness. I use
    Ayr saline nasal gel.
  11. mlw

mlw New Member

Kadywill: I personally think this is related to herpes virus. I don't know if simplex or other. However, I started getting little mouth blisters inside the mouth and sometimes in the nasal passage. Since I am on Valtrex, they went away. Valtrex is a treatment for herpes simplex.

MLW
  12. kadywill

kadywill New Member

when my daughter was young, every time I'd have these sores, so would she. The doc just said to put Neosporin on a q-tip and apply topically inside the nose. This helps some, but it is when we really get "worn down" that we have these. As I mentioned, I have yet to have my first fever blister externally. The Immunologist DID say that Lupus patients get oral and nasal sores, but I just treat them symptomatically whatever the etiology is.
  13. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

this mouth problem can be either herpes or yeast, look up thrush. I just got a rx for diflucan, is this the best for yeast?? I have it pretty sever everywhere possible, hard to know if my genital prob is herpes or yeast or both!!!!! I give up!

Jaci
  14. TracyV

TracyV New Member

saw a infection doctor who could not figure out what was going on with me. I have notice now that I get them when I get stressed out. I can have an disagreement with my husband and I'll have one a hour later. I have found that benadreyll helps sometimes, but lately I've use a rinse of apple cider vinengar and water(half and Half) it gives me a instant relief until I get something that irratates it, but it seems to help them go away faster.
    Hugs,
    Tracy