Moved: Can I get your opinion about a Hairdressing course??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aeronsmom, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

Can I get your opinion about a Hairdressing course?? 12/16/06 09:06 AM

Altho I am finally on disability after 2 yrs of waiting, I really want to be able to do a little something with my time, as you all know I am probably moving to Australia next year, and they are in high demand of hair dressers, so my question to you is would it be better to take a hair dressing course at home watching DVD's and practising on fake heads or should I take a course where I have to go to school for 7 hours aday 4 days a week?

any suggestions would be appreciated, I know it's my decison but I also wanted to hear your point of view.

love to all, Ann

Hairdressing 12/16/06 09:51 AM

Hi Ann

Do you think you are up to doing a full time course? Remember if you take up hair dressing as a career, you will be on your feet a lot.

I know for me, I can't even go to the hairdresser because the sprays and chemicals really bother me.

don't want to be a downer, but it sounds like a difficult occupation for us with these DDs, but if you are feeling well and think you are up to it, go for the course.

There is nothing like hands on training.

good luck to you.

Sue in Ontario

Hi Ann 12/16/06 10:08 AM

My husband was a men's hairstylist for many years, and at one point I decided to quit office work and become a hairdresser, and work with him. I did. From my experience, it's one of the hardest jobs a person can do. I only lasted about 4 years, and went back to the office!!

You may be able to just work a minimum of hours, but it would be hard to build up a following that way.

I'm like one of the other posters, I don't want to be a downer on the subject, but I've "been there and done that" as they say, and I feel like I should tell you honestly about my experience.

I also don't think a person could really learn the hair business unless they actually took a course at a school. There's a lot to learn and you need real people to practice on.

I wish you the best, and you may adapt to hairdressing just fine, and enjoy it, and have no problems from it. So, you have to do what feels right to you. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Your friend,

sheryld 12/16/06 10:17 AM

Hi there Ann,

I have done hair for 17 years...My Mom did hair since she was pg with me..I have been around all those chemicals all my life..All that time it has been in a non-ventalated place..Most of the time in our home. I do hair now in my home..

I quit for a little while this last summer and I did feel better...The chemicals really affect me, but that is all I know how to do. I now only do it a little here and there so I can really tell.

I am not trying to be a downer either...but I would really consider doing something else..

I honestly think doing hair has contributed to the way I feel everyday..Plus, I like everything to be perfect..including everyones hair that I do. So I get pretty stressed out about it...I worry if people like it..and I think the chemicals make me feel like that, too. I don't know if they increase axiety or what...

Then when I am done working...I always yell at my kids a lot...I just get really tense and in a bad mood. That happens when I am around any chemicals.

Sorry to not be much help..

Take Care,

Dear Aeronsmom, 12/16/06 12:35 PM

Having experience in the cosmetology field, my first suggestion to you would be to find out the exact requirements necessary to become licensed in Australia. Even if you started to train for cosmetology where you live, all of those hours of learning may be for nothing if you move to Australia and find that Australia will not accept those hours as valid toward your license.

Second, as a licensed stylist, you would be able to perform all functions in a beauty salon (hair stylist, nail technician, esthetician, waxing and makeup artist). The hours required to become a stylist are extensive; you may want to ask yourself if there is one particular area of the beauty business that you are interested in other than stylist that will require less hours.

There are many career paths you can take in this field, so please explore them all before you make your decision.

hairdresser 12/16/06 02:37 PM

I'd be real afraid of the chemicals. But, then again, my ex MIL started working in her father's hair salon when she was 12. She died in 2000 at 91 years. Go figure.

chemicals 12/16/06 06:28 PM

maybe you could be the first hairstylist in Australia to use all non-toxic styling products. then we could all come to see you and get our hair done!

I was a hair stylist 12/16/06 06:36 PM

I really would not suggest you do this.

First of all, the hours are have to work with your hands in a raise position almost all of the time. You are on your feet pretty much all the time during your shift. You constantly have chemicals being sprayed or used around you.

If you really want to do this....definitely go to school for not take an at home course. There is so much you need to know, and learning from a video will not let you ask important questions, nor will it help with your techniques. You really need to have live teachers there with you so you can learn all techniques and be able to have questions answered.

As I said, I really don't think it's a good idea for you to do this at all.... you can get carpel tunnel, ribs our of place, leg and back problems.....and a whole horde of other things. They are not going to make having CFS/FMS any easier on you.

I don't like to discourage people from doing something they want to do, but in this case, it's just not a good idea.

Hair dressing course...... 12/16/06 09:43 PM

I'm sorry to say, I have to agree with what the others are saying but I wanted to add something.

I get a facial each month here in Germany and I always lay there and think what a wonderful job it must be to do this all day.

It's relaxing, not on your feet, so soothing and there's a magic way they do it with all of the facial massage etc....

Would something like this be easier for you??? I know for me it's wonderful, each thing they apply gets massaged into the skin in a special way, soothing music is playing, I'm in a comfortable chair....

So if cosmetology is your thing, maybe this would be better and I'm sure you could make money doing this.

What a way to spend your day, huh??

Nancy B