movie sickness

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jess, Oct 4, 2005.

1. jess

jess New Member

I was just wondering if anyone gets sick at the movies. That is, at the theatre not at home watching. I've had this sice I was a teen. If the movie is really loud or has quick movements I usually get very nausiated. Sometimes I get a headache and just feel really sick. I've noticed that if the movie is slow and boring I also get sick. This could be psychological. Anyway, I always feel bad because my husband feels guilty about staying to finish the movie. I usually just try to sleep through it then. I actually thought when I was young that this was a normal ocurrence for everyone. Does anyone experience movie sickness? thanks, Jess
  2. deelite127

deelite127 New Member

I wouldn't say i get sick but i am prone to headaches whenever i go to the movie theatre. Guess thats why i haven't gone in years. I rather wait for it to come on tape of cable.

3. KelB

KelB New Member

Yes, I have this problem, but it's only happened since I've had CFS.

My OT says that it's a recognised part of CFS and is linked with sensory overload. If your brain gets too much input too fast, e.g. loud noise, sudden movement etc, then it just can't process everything that's being thrown at it and you end up very disorientated. It can also trigger mild vertigo, which causes the nausea.

At my worst, I couldn't follow plotlines at all so I gave up going to the movies.

I find that taking travel sickness tablets before I go to the cinema, helps damp down the symptoms. It certainly stops me feeling sick so I can eat popcorn again. Although I still ocasionally lose track of who's chasing who and why, at least I can enjoy an evening out with my friends again!
  4. Empower

Empower New Member

Funny you should mention this, because I went to see Two for THe Money last night, and had to walk out for a moment.

There was some quick movement on the screen and I get very dizzy with this

It does help to sit way in the back of the theatre
  5. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

Loud noises and fast movement bothers me a lot. The way they film it bothers me.....shaky type camera. Last time I went I sat trying to plug up my ears and I told my husband I was going to buy ear plugs. A lot of times I get anxiety just being in a closed room.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That it's part of our sensory overload. Movement can cause one to become disoriented and sick. There are days when I have to dissolve 1/4 tablet of Klonopin under my tongue in order to drive. The movement of the other cars changing lanes can send me over the edge. I cannot tolerat harsh lighting and loud noise either, both of which are factors in movie theaters. I've only been to two movies in the last 5 years. I watch them at home on DVD now. I absolutely cannot tolerate someone near me talking during the film or making noise from their snacks. If someone near me has bathed in perfume, I will get so sick and it doesn't go away when I get out into the fresh air. It makes me sick all day.

Love, Mikie
  7. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

We hadn't been to the movies in over 8 months. A friend said I needed to force myself to "have a life" so my husband and I went. That was a bad mistake!

I was fighting neck tension and a headache to start with. The small theatre was l/2 empty. We always take one of the last seats because I can see better far away. That left the back row empty. A couple came in and sat directly behind us. Wellllllllllll.....they proceeded to "make out" during the entire movie which was Wedding Crashers. My husband was totally oblivious to what was going on. At one point I looked around, hoping to make them realize they were bothering me, and she was stretched across him. They kicked my seat one too many times and I moved. I had almost lost it....I was going to tell them to go get a room.

Think I'll just go rent DVDs from now on.

[ advertisement ]