Movies We Love

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Sep 1, 2007.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Per Linda's suggestion, here's a movie thread.

You can, of course, say whatever you like about any movie.
    To get things started, I suggest we mention one or two films we've loved over the years.

If we can put it into words, what is it about the film that makes it special for us. Or is it really about us and what we were doing when we first saw it?

Here are two films that I and millions have loved for a long time. Both made about the time I was born and both with Victor Flemming as the director.

The Wizard of Oz and Gone With the Wind

I saw both for the first time when I was a teenager. The Wizard seemed magical from the moment the tornado struck. And when Judy opened the door of the farmhouse and the screen burst into color, it was a magic moment. (At the time it was made few films were in color.)

The special effects, the perfect casting, the great score; even after all this time the movie still seems flawless to me.

Thirty years after it was made, on June 22, 1969, Judy Garland died in London. At the same time a tornado touched down in Kansas.

I saw Gone With the Wind for the first time when I was 15. I knew nothing about the film or its history. Early in the film Tera is shown at sunset and the orchestra plays Tera's theme. I knew then this was a special film.

The scope of the picture was astonishing. Tragic, funny, romantic and based on history. Another great cast. Only Olivia de Haviland is still with us. She has lived in France for many years.

What films did you find special?

2. sisland

sisland New Member

My favorite all time movie was and still is "The Apple Dumpling Gang" With Tim conway and Don Knotts,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Talk about a Funny Film ,,,The girls and i used to love watching it! what a Classic!,,,,,,,,,,,,I Think there is a 2nd one too!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,But yes the 2 you mentioned were and still are Fabulous!

Also "Dr Zhivago",,,,,,,,"Shenandoah" with Jimmy Stewart,,,,,All the John Wayne films ,,,,,,,I grew up in a Western Family so yeah i guess thats why i love all these films,,,,,,,Also all of Clint Eastwoods films!,,,,,,,,,,,S
    [This Message was Edited on 09/04/2007]
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Wuthering Heights with Laurence Olivier - no remake has touched it as far as I'm concerned. Why? It just draws at my heart, superb acting, wonderful story.

Laurence of Arabia - with the most handsome of men, Peter O'Toole. Again, a wonderful story, a 'mad' Englishman who brought all the Arab tribes together, gave them back their pride -pride that the English tried to take away from every indigenous group of people they came across. We Scots were one of the first nations they did that to.

Modern films - Twelve Monkeys

I do watch Gone With The Wind every time its on tv and even read the book a few years back.

[This Message was Edited on 09/01/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/01/2007]
  4. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Anything with Ingrid Bergman or Katharine Hepburn, I say. I mentioned Notorious and Gaslight on another thread. Also Bringing Up Baby and Philadelphia Story. Also love Harvey, with Jimmy Stewart. Arsenic and Old Lace....similar story.

I love What's Up Doc with Barbra Streisand. It is a remake of Bringing Up Baby...similar story again....and very funny.

I love the old Hitchcock movies....Vertigo and To Catch a Thief. Shot in the Dark with Audrey Hepburn. And the old Pink Panther movies.....Yes, I'm a movie nut.
  5. Callum

Callum New Member

-I've Heard the Mermaids Singing
    -All About Eve
    -Cinema Paradiso
    -Young Frankenstein
    -What's Up, Doc
    -The Wizard of Oz
    -Bullets over Broadway
    -Now, Voyager
    -Waiting for Guffman
    -The Letter
    -Sophie's Choice
    -Howards' End
    -The African Queen
    -A Star Is Born (1953 Garland version)

And 1983 (the year I graduated high school) has a number of my personal favs - could it be because I was the right age for:

-The Big Chill
    -Educating Rita
    -Terms of Endearment
    -Tender Mercies
    and, one that people always roll their eyes at, but I can never understand why it was bashed except for the animosity held for the star: Yentl

[This Message was Edited on 09/02/2007]
  6. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

My two favorite movies of all time are To Sir With Love and Brians Song.
    to me the movies that touched me the most as a teenager were:

Brians Song and To Sir With Love

I think the reason I love Brians Song was I could relate to it so well. The first time i saw it was when my dad died from lukemia. I cried through the whole movie almost. to this day it is the only movie that can make me cry. it is a great movie about friendship and cancer and how it effects everyone. it is also a true life movie. the characters portray real people.

I'm not real sure why i love the movie To Sir With Love. i think i was hooked on it after i heard the song To Sir With Love. once again i saw this movie when my dad was sick and the song said pretty much everything that i was feeling and wishing for. shoot brain fog is creeping in cause i can't remember the name of the actor who potrayed the teacher. sidney potera (sp) is the teacher. lol. unforently my spelling is awful when brain fog rolls in. hope everyone knows the name of the actor. lol. but i do so love his films.........SueF
  7. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

watched it for the first time a few months back, it was on tv. I really enjoyed it and I like Mandy Pitikman (wrong spelling) he was so handsome then.

So many great films but now so much rubbish is churned out.

8. rockgor

Looks like everyone loves the movies...or at least some movies. I sure loved the movies when I was a kid. Now I haven't gone to a movie for over twenty years.

As Rosie says, they're just turning out rubbish. An entertaining book on the subject is "A History of Hollywood's Iconic Flops" by James Robert Parish.

The biggest mistake, he says, which the production companies keep doing over and over, is to start filming when they don't have a completed script. Almost guarantees failure.

I agree about Dr. Zhivago, Sis. One of my great favorites w/ a wonderful score by Maurice Jarre. (I looked on the net. Still don't know how he pronounces his surname.)

Another film w/ Jarre and David Lean was Lawrence of Arabia. They also did A Passage to India. Jarre got Oscars for all three.

Jems and Elaine, have you read Gump & Co.? It's the sequal to Forrest Gump and, I think, better than the first book.

The original music in the movie was by Alan Silvestri. One of my coworkers at the office was a legal secretary by day and a professional musician other times. She said, "When I knew Alan he was a skinny kid who played the guitar."

Never heard of "Almost Famous", 4ever. I remember Frances McDormand in Fargo. She talked like my sister and lots of folks I knew back in Minnesota. But I never figured out why a movie set in Minnesota was named for a city in N. Dakota.

9. rockgor

I was afraid my post would disappear, so I broke it up into two parts.

Good to have you back again, Callum. Are you going to write a report on what you did last summer? Your fans want to know.

You're right, Terri. Old movies are best. Just like old books, wine and friends. Can't beat the Pink Panther movies for inducing laughs.

I saw Rashomon in the 50s, Overwhelm. I think it was the first foreign film I ever saw. Did you know there is an American version called "the Outrage" made in the 60s? Starred Paul Newman.

That story was a short story and subsequently a movie, play, musical and the basis for a lot of parodies. It was done on "Mama's Family" and the Simpsons and other tv shows.

Well, I think it's time to visit the snackbar. So for the time being, the balcony is closed.

10. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

that Rosiebud mentioned Yentl ....I don't own it, but I have checked it out from the library many times. One of my favorites. I love the song she sings by the firelight- so haunting and beautiful.

I also love The Quiet Man, because of the Irish brogue and the scenery. John Wayne wasn't very Irish, though.

11. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz.

Some recent movies I've enjoyed are:

Turtles Can Fly

Caterina in the Big City

Movies keep getting more amazing to me as they come up with new angles, techniques and ideas. I find a lot of them to be intellectually stimulating as well as entertaining.

I heart Netflix!!

Overwhelm, I saw Gaslight pretty recently too and I thought it was an important movie for all women to watch. I know why a man wouldn't want his wife to see it too and i want you to know that I am sorry if you had to go through something like that.

They call it crazymaking.

12. budmickl

budmickl New Member

The new one with Kris Kristofferson and Barbara Strisand.
    I have it on every audio and visual media there is. I cry every time I watch it.

13. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Rashomon is an amazing film, as is almost anything by Kurosawa.

Here are two that I've loved over the years:

How the West Was Won (old-fashioned big screen spectacle)

The White Hell of Piz Palu (amazing 1929 silent German film about mountain climbers in Switzerland)
  14. otis89

otis89 New Member

Wizard of oz, is my favorite movie of all time.
    The color purple
    The out-of-towners;hilarious, and i love jack lemmon
    Once upon a time in the west;excellent
    The deer hunter
    Coming home

They sure dont make movies like they used to; i have yet to see a recent movie that i would give a 5 star rating to, i did see The Queen, with helen mirren, the best ive seen in awhile.
  15. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

of a brilliant film, based on a true story, of a German climber who climbs in Tibet and stays there......Brad Pitt played the part excellently (no such word??) - Seven Years in Tibet.

It is a film well worth watching.

[This Message was Edited on 09/04/2007]
  16. caffey

caffey New Member

I really enjoyed The American President. It was a nice story and just feel like I had had a good evening. I don't know why but I also really enjoyed the Hunt for Red October with Sean Connery. I have seen it several times. Another one was the Game with Michael Douglas. I love a good suspense and I didn't see it coming ( the ending ).
  17. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

is Von Ryan's Express....with Frank Sinatra. I think it was a comeback for him in the 60's. It's a WWII story with a twist at the ending.
  18. Doober

Doober New Member

My all time favorite movie is

"The man from snowy river"

I enjoy whole movie and not just bits and pieces that I seem to find with most movies. Kirk Douglas plays 2 roles in this film as a twin. I am not totally sure why but this movie just grabs my attention and I can sit and watch this over and over again. In fact this is the only movie I own while my kids have most of the movies we bought.

19. bct

bct Active Member

But my partner, who is a film buff and taught cinema appreciation (which should disqualify him-LOL-) votes for North by Northwest, and Cocteaus's Beauty and the Beast. If I let him go on, There would be a LONG list, so I'll spare us all.

I'm too tired to really stay on the comp now, started Lyrica and am adjusting, but am really enjoying this thread. Talk about shades of Dorothy!

Regards to all,
  20. rockgor

I agree. North by Northwest was a wonderful film. Never saw anything by Cocteau. I forgot your partner's name. I wrote it down once, but w/ my brain fog now augmented by Alzheimer's I lose everything.

Where did he teach? Did he show movies?

I read one time they should teach movies in school, not books cause more people see movies.

Drop by the board more often why donchya?!