Moving south

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by EloiseP, Jun 24, 2008.

1. EloiseP

EloiseP New Member

I live in the northeast and have horrible fibro. If I move to georgia-- probably around atlanta-- will I be better? I hate suffering so. Thank you.
  2. keeponkate

keeponkate New Member

I am originally from MI, but live in FL now. The heat is much better for me than the cold. Atlanta has less humidity than FL, but they also have a lot of cold weather in the winters. Here in FL it is very hot and humid for 3 months, but the other 9 months are wonderful. And in the summer, everything is airconditioned. You will definately notice a positive change getting into the warmer climates.
  3. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Making such a huge move hoping that you feel better seems very chancy to me.

Could you go and live there for a period of time and see what difference it makes in your pain level? The energy of moving would be so taxing not to mention the cost, etc.

Many people find that warmer weather helps with fibro pain and with arthritis pain, also, but you don't really know how it will affect you.

Hope you are able to get some relief. I see you are brand new to the board. Welcome. Hopefully you will find some good info that could help you with FM right now.

Best wishes...

4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Glad you found us.

Sue is right. It is best if one can try out an area in different seasons to ensure it is a positive move. In all my years here, what I have learned is that one person's paradise is another's hell. No one place is ideal for everyone.

My daughter lives in the Atlanta area and I have visited in all kinds of weather. I live in SW FL where it is hot and humid more than three months. Every year, it takes me about a month to adjust to the heat. Then, I'm fine. I moved from CO. It wasn't the cold in Denver which drove me out; it was the air pollution and the dryness of the air. I was sick with sinusitis, asthma, bronchitis, and even pneumonia every winter.

Atlanta gets very hot in the summer and the air can be so still that just standing outside can cause one to sweat profusely. It can get cold in the winter. The spring and fall weather is to die for and it is a beautiful place. The traffic in Atlanta is horrible. I do like it there and would consider living there myself but I like it in FL better.

Not all of FL is the same. It's such a long state and if one lives near the southern end, it's hotter. On the other hand, we get breezes from three directions all year long and that helps with the heat and humidity.

Hope this helps and, again, welcome to our board.

Love, Mikie
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

currently I live east of Atlanta about 60 miles away, in Athens... yes it is hot/humid in the summers, no worse than where I grew up (Chicago area), but it's a longer season. It can get cold here, but usually warms up within a few days... winter average temp in Atlanta is in the 50s as a result. Compared to Chicago, lol, I like this much better!

Atlanta is sprawling big-time tho, and so is their pollution. Our air here used to be considered pretty pristine, but now we are getting their 'drift' plus producing more of our own. Springtime for allergies for many are rough due to so many pines... yellow dust on cars, in air etc, and the smog can hold it in.

This doesn't happen often, but, I do remember once driving into Atlanta one spring, and literally seeing a yellow-greenish smog directly over Atlanta's skyscrapers... it was very surreal looing!

I agree, if you can come visit/rent for a year, it would be a good idea....

Actually I am moving to Mexico it looks like, in about 2 weeks, to an area that basically has spring-time temps year round... will let y'all know how THAT goes!

all the best,

[This Message was Edited on 06/25/2008]
  6. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

I suggest a long trial period. Everyone said move to AZ for arthritis and FM. Well be had a new R.V. so we tried it twice in two different parts of the state, going home between times.

I would be better for a bit and then the longer I was there the worse I got. The dry heat actually made my joints get so dried out that I felt like the Sahara desert.

Nothing worked.

I moved to WA 3 years ago and the first year I was so much better, now I am worse then I have even been.

I think at least 6 months or more to know.
  7. layla1954

layla1954 New Member

Hi Eloise,
    I've lived in TN most of my life, primarily in the SE corner just above the GA line. I too think a trial period would be a good idea before committing to such a big step... the last time I moved it took MONTHS to get over the resulting stress and fatigue.

I honestly do better with cold weather than hot, it's different for everyone. For me the pain is worse overall in the winter, but the heat and humidity can be brutal and zaps my energy level down to nothing. Also there are often sudden barometric pressure changes; in the summer especially a storm can pop up almost any afternoon and when the pressure drops I can count on hurting all over until the storm passes.

Like someone else mentioned, spring and fall are wonderful here - but they only last about a week each. The season changes can be pretty abrupt.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do....
    Layla1954 (Lee Ann)
    [This Message was Edited on 06/25/2008]
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

So you're finally going to get to do it. I'll keep you in my prayers that all goes well. Are you going to be able to buy the $2/gal. gas down there? Good ole Pemex. Let us know how it's going.

Love, Mikie