Moving to Colorado.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Manwithfibro, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

I was fired from my job after a long tenure. I am sure it was a combo of me not feeling good, even though I showed up everyday and did a great job. They were pushing for longer hours which I rejected and that seemed to piss management off.

Anyways, I have family in CO and it is DRY there which helps me feel better. I am considering a move there. It is so smoggy here and it bothers my head and FM.
    I have been really depressed over this firing as it puts a huge strain on my family. Honestly, though, I couldn't handle the stress anymore with this pain.

My question is this...I use Oxycontin to help take edge off pain. Is there a doctor in the Colorado area that will be open to prescribing it? I am worried if I move, I may lose the one thing that helps my pain some.

Any advice appreciated......also, any good FM groups in CO? Thanks....
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I would definitely find a doctor before moving. Also, make sure to research other things that may not agree with you in Colorado. The altitude, allergies, weather,etc.

I once made a move from Los Angeles Ca, to Idaho Falls Idaho. The altitude in Idaho is 5,000 ft. Los Angeles is almost sea level.

I was progressively sicker the entire five years in Idaho. Allergies, asthma, heart problems, you name it.

When I returned to California, I got better. No heart problems. I had a serious arrythmia called PVC's and was on medication until I came back to California.

If you already lived in Colorado then maybe you are ok.

As respects to doctors, ask your doctor here if he can possibly refer you to someone. If not, visit doctors first with a copy of your medical records in hand. You are so right to make sure you will have a good doctor.

I also have GAD and am seeing a therapist twice a week, hopefully soon once a week. It is possible for you to start your own business? I started my business ten years ago because I could not handle the stress of working for someone else.

Working is one thing, but dealing with terrible employers is another. With my own business I was able to pick who I wanted to work with.[This Message was Edited on 07/04/2006]
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If smog bothers you, you may have problems in CO, especially along the mountains, in the winter. Smog in Denver is even worse than in LA in terms of how it affects the body because of the thin air.

If you do move, I want to wish you the best.

Love, Mikie
  4. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

We are considering Broomfield.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is a nice area but is part of the Greater Metropolitan Denver Area and likely has some smog issues. Still, it's further away from the mountains than the western side of the city or Boulder or Colo. Spgs.

When I was a kid, about the only thing in Broomfield was a train stop. It was all farming. Then, it became a bedroom city for Denver. Now, it is it's own thriving city. I think, if memory servies, Broomfield lies in three different counties. It may be more advantageous to live in one area of the city versus another. Check it out.

I have a cousin in Arvada just south of Broomfield.

If you like smaller towns, check out Longmont which is about 30 mins. north of Broomfield. It's another old farming community which has grown to a thriving small town. It is further from the mountains but has a sweeping view of the back peaks and it is spectacular to see. Worth a trip up there just to check it out.

Love, Mikie
    [This Message was Edited on 07/05/2006]
  6. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

Broomfield feels very much out in the Country yet with conveniences. I don't know if it is the right decision or not...on the surface, it felt friendlier. I want
    a sense of community and a good place for kids.

Hope if we go, we are making a good choice..
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

For family. It is ideally situated for access to everything and, as you say, isn't right in the city.

I lived in the suburbs SE in Englewood in the big family house before my divorce. Everything was new out there and it was beautiful but a bit boring. I moved into Denver to a condo after my divorce when the kids were gone. I liked being close to things for singles to do.

Despite the smog, Denver and the surrounding areas are very clean. That's one of the things people always notice about it. Having the mountains so close is a real plus.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Love, Mikie
  8. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

Thanks Mikie...I think Broomfield will be a good choice for raising a family. It appears that it is very community oriented. The Adams 12 5 star schools appear to win National prestige. They are building a monster community and recreation center in our development. There are kids everywhere. Also, Broomfield is building a new sports type arena and there is the new Broomfield Bay, a Water park. At the moment, it has a Country feel to it but is growing. There are malls, movies etc all within 5-10 mins but also cows, horses etc within 5-10 mins.
    I want to be excited about it. This lifestyle out here in CA is very high pressured and stressed. Now without a job, it is going to be tough to find anything that pays enough to want to keep me here. The humidity is probably the number one agitator of my FM. It almost eats it up or swells me. I am hurting so bad that I could not sleep. I have been a registered tax preparer for 15 years so always have that as a fallback. I couldn't go on in that job anymore..8 years of a 430am alarm clock was enough. I always felt really exhausted and bad. They were pushing for us to come in at 430am. I couldn't do it and was branded then as
    someone not willing to go the extra mile (10 hour days). My body cannot sit
    in one place that long...just can't.
    I hope we are making the right decision. All I have to go on is that my sister has never been happier since moving there in 2000.

Take care TIM
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

So many Californians have moved to CO and love it there. They are a lot alike in many ways. Yes, Broomfield is very community oriented.

Maybe in retrospect, this mistreatment from your employer will be a blessing in disguise if it causes you to move to where you feel better and are happier.

I had to run to Lowe's today. It's so funny because the heat and humidity make me feel so well. I wonder why we all react so differently to climate. I hope you will be as happy in CO as I have been in FL. I may not stay if I can move closer to my kids in Ga. Also, FL is being ruined by overdevelopment. That's what we always said in CO. Both are desireable places and we can't just shut the gate once we go through.

Best of luck. I pray for a safe move and that this is a positive step in ridding yourself of this horrible stress.

Love, Mikie
  10. texasmaia

texasmaia New Member

I lived twenty years in Denver metro and still have lots of family there. Mom, sister, brother and my son and his family.

If you like Broomfield, have you considered the area north of there? My kids live in a small town (Gilcrest) straight north of Platteville and before Greeley. Any of those towns out there are still small town country type feel yet close to the city.

Sorry, Mikie, but Longmont is no longer small community feel. It is huge and you never really get the end of Denver to the beginning of Longmont. Just melds together now. Still beautiful and one of my favorites, though!

However, if you would have to work in the city, I would consider being in the southeast area. Smog still won't bother you there, but you will be close to the Tech Center of Denver.

Have you looked at the Parker area?? It's fabulous too. I lived in Castle Rock from 1980-1984. It was a little one stoplight cowboy town then. About 2,000 people. Ha,...that was the day!!!

Not trying to talk you out of Broomfield. Just giving you other suggestions. When I lived there Broomfield was a rough kinda town to be in. As a teen and young adult it was a place we avoided. That has been awhile ago, I'm 42 now. But...there are certainly hundreds of options.

With fuel prices going higher and higher....I would move close to work.

Let us know what you decide on. It is beautiful and I sure do miss it up there at times. The scenery, Not the Living. I'm a country girl!!

Maia

11. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

Sure didn't get that impression when I was there...hope not.

Yeah, it is humid here and I am dying with pain. Humidity is the #1 agitator.
    I remember going to Missouri on a trip and my whole body was in spasm from the humidity.

For whatever reason, the drier, higher altitude seems to agree with me. Maybe it is the increase in red blood cells?

This is a tough decision but figure if we don't like it, we can always move back, right? I cannot imagine not liking it though.

I have more of a Midwest personality...no offense to Californians here but our value system wants a sense of community and it is seriously lacking in CA.

My sister made more friends her first 6 months in CO, than in 11 years here in CA. To me that says alot........hope so!!

Dying in pain today....ugh!
  12. Astarte

Astarte New Member

And LOVE IT here! No smog problem. Broomfield is nice but farther than Denver, the Metro areas are your best bet for jobs.

What sort of work do you do? We're in Highlands Ranch, they referred to it as Little California when we first moved here in 98'. Colorado is full of transplants from all over. Did you find a job or are you staying with family while you look?

Home prices are pretty good still. My dr. barely writes for Vicodan. Most doctors here are conservative in that respect, it sucks. And with Rush L's addiction, I've seen a change in how doctors handle pain meds with patients. They are very conservative. I'm looking for a new MD myself because I need pain meds to function enough to work.

My suggestion, get a copy of your entire file from your doctor and ask her/him for a referral if they can. If not ask them to write a letter of recommendation for pain medication to go with your file. Is this a Rheumy? I see a new one on Aug. 3rd.

What insurance do you have? Also, how will the snow affect you? It bothers me but then I didn't have pain meds at the time.

Keep me posted, maybe we can help each other with referrals. I have kids too. Great place to raise kids.

Star
  13. Astarte

Astarte New Member

LA...yes, people are hard to get to know there. People don't have time to make for friendships or care about others too much. We've got the greatest freinds here.

Will your wife work too?

I was in LA for vacation, came home and had a major flare up for 2+ days. So maybe it was the change from humid to dry, then sea level to high altitude. I've only had this 8 months that I've noticed.
  14. Astarte

Astarte New Member

Parker has traffic problems. They still have a toll road to get to the Tech Center, which leaves a 4 lane (total 4 lanes each way) road that everyone drives to work and it takes forever to go anywhere.

We live south of DTC (Denver Tech Center). Douglas County we're in has awesome schools. Longmont, forget...horrible schools, lots of gangs in them. My Foster Child is from Longmont, it's not a good area for kids or jobs. My husband works at CBS in Denver, he knows all these areas very well from his job.

Highlands Ranch and Littleton both have great Lightrail systems that people actually use, not like LA. Check us out on the net. Actual it's Littleton/Centennial that are good areas. And yes, gas is going up. People are downsizing homes due to higher fuel costs too.

Good luck, this is still heaven to us!
    Star
  15. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

How are the schools in Broomfield? Supposedly they are good?

No, I do not have a job currently but have lots of skills including being a Registered Tax Preparer.

Thanks TIM
  16. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

Schools there?
  17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's been 9 years since I lived in CO, but I've been back since. It's funny how different people have different perceptions of areas. No, Longmont is no longer a small town but in comparison to the Denver area, it is. I remember it when it really was a small town. Longmont would be quite a drive if you were to work in the Metro area. One thing you would want to avoid is living at one end of the Metro area and working at the other end. Traffic in Denver can be stressful. Can you stay with family until you get a job?

The SE area near Highland's Ranch and the Tech Center is where a lot of the new development has taken place. That is the area where I lived for many years. It is nice, clean and new but as I said, it is the boring suburbs. We preferred it only because we were raising teenagers and wanted a safe place for our kids. Then, they bussed them 14 miles to schools where there were some rough kids. That was only because the schools at that time could not keep up with growth in the area.

Broomfield, Longmont, Boulder, Greeley, and other small, but not tiny, towns do seem to have more of a sense of community. I can never remember a time when Broomfield was considered a rough area. Like all areas, there may be some areas you wouldn't want to live in there. Your family living there would be the ones who would know best. That they are happy there would seem to be the best indicator.

There are many areas and many choices in the Denver area. Perhaps you can rent, stay with family, stay in one of those home style motels, or, at least, get a good realtor who knows the area. Best of luck. BTW, you can read "The Denver Post" online and that may help you get some ideas. It merged with "The Rocky Mountain News" several years ago and I'm not even sure what it is called anymore.

Love, Mikie

18. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

Luckily, I have equity in my house here in CA and can use that for a new house in CO. That is a HUGE reason for wanting to move. It will also free up a few months where I won't need to stress about getting a job ASAP. Being in Finance, I was smart to save while working. Also, I have always been paranoid of the future with this god awful pain I am in. I still don't know what the future holds. All of my doctors would like to see me 100% self employed. That way I can work when feeling better and rest when I need to. In my old job, I gutted it out when I felt awful. Then I would flare. I spent most weekends recovering. It was not a happy life. Only thing positive is that I was able to gain on my house and save some money. I am deeply scared. Trust me. My wife has not worked as she was stay at home watching my son. She will probably work part time atleast. By moving to CO, I won't need to have a super stressed out job. I need to make money of course but won't need the high pressure of corporate world. My body just cannot do it anymore. It is no fun living with FM. Life is scary. I just hope that by making this decision, it will actually help me by being in the dry and not having to pay all the high cost of living here. Plus, my sister has made more friends there than she
    ever did here. Same goes for her Husband. They wouldn't move back here for double the pay. That says alot to me.
    Anyways, I appreciate your insight. Lots to ponder. Atleast I am not being treated badly anymore. That job was a nightmare the past 6 months.
    TIM
  19. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

I have CFIDS rather than Fibro but we share many of the same symptoms - one of them being flares caused by stress!

I'm so happy to hear that you're free of that stressful job.

Now you're free to move here to beautiful Colorado and make a better, healthier life for yourself and your family:)

I live here happily - the thin fresh air & lovely nature here make it the most pleasant place I've ever lived. It's my home for good :)

Regarding future work here - check out Alpine Access dot com. It's a Colorado company that uses local home-based agents.

Good schools in Broomfield, too, I hear.

Best wishes, and keep us posted on your move!

Roseblossom

p.s. Hello to you other fellow Coloradans :)

p.p.s. to Mikie, isn't it funny how each of us feels better in a specific environment? I lived in Florida for a bit, and was miserable in the heat & humidity.
    Hope that awful Red Tide has dissipated and you feel better.
  20. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

Yeah, I DIE in the humidity...it is in the mid 70s at 9pm right now and muggy as hell and I hurt so bad I want to cry.

I could never live in a muggier place like Florida or Texas...this humidity literally eats at me. I feel like a swollen blob of pain.

Take care

Looking forward to coming....TIM