Moving To Germany

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kcovert, Apr 13, 2007.

1. kcovert

kcovert New Member

Hi,

My name is Kathy and I am kind of new to posting to the boards. I read a lot mostly and find what you all say to be priceless and so valuable!! We are moving to Germany within the next couple of weeks and needless to say things are crazy right now. I have had FMS, CFIDS, Hypothyroidism, Lupus, and the list can go on as all of you deal with for the past 13 years. My question is for those of you who are living in Germany do you have any suggestions on how to bring your medication over from the States until you get a doctor? How long does it take to see a doctor and is it hard since I do not know the language yet. We are moving to the Wiesbaden area if that helps any. Also, if you buy things from Pro Health how do you get it over there since they cannot ship it to Germany? I would be greatly appreciative for any advice for living over there.

Thank you in advance,

Kathy
  2. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

Hi Kathy,

I don't have any help to offer, but wanted to wish you good luck! Such a big move. It must be a lot to manage all of the "normal" details on top of managing this crazy DD.

Love & Light,
    Laurie
  3. BobinGermany

BobinGermany New Member

Welcome to Germany <soon>!

My name is Bob. I am an American but I have been living in Germany for almost 6 years now. (I married a German) :) It is wonderful here. I have some friends that had their office in Wiesbaden. It is nice there and close enough to Frankfurt if you want to go to the theater, shopping, etc. As for bringing meds, I travel to the US to see friends around 2 times a year. All I do is bring a copy of my prescription with me when I travel. I have never been questioned about it. Just a thought but when I travel I carry enough of my meds on the plane with me to last several days just in case the luggage gets lost. It happened one time. When I got to Virginia my luggage was still in Canada!:) Seeing a doctor here does not take long and all of the doctors I have seen speak English at least somewhat as they study it in school. I don't think you will have a problem with communicating here. As far as ProHealth products, I really don't know. I don't order anything from the US. I have had very good luck with all of the doctors that I have seen here.

Me and my wife used to live near Wiesbaden but moved closer to her work. We bought a house in a city called Ruelzheim. It is in the Southwest of the country.

Another person on here that can help with any other questions you might have is called Prickles. She is very much involved with FM and has her own web-site concerning it. She is always here to help us.. :)

Well... Good luck and have a safe trip!

God Bless,
    Bob
  4. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Ok, I don't know how to spell it but it means good day! About all the German I know!

I think you will find that there are many Germans who speak english so the language barrier may not be as bad as you think. I hope that is the case.

I can't even imagine flying so far! An hour long flight about does me in!

My sis and her family are moving to Germany in June. BIL is in the Army and will be taking over a command there. I really should ask her where!

Don't know about meds, but I am curious so please someone who knows this stuff fill us in!!

auf Weidershan!

Greenbean

5. LindaJones

LindaJones New Member

Hi --

I lived in Germany for many years.
    I would be interested in hearing how German doctors/alternative practitioners treat chronic fatigue syndrome.
    Germany is beautiful. You will love it.
    Maybe a change of environment will do you good. Let us know how it goes.

Viel Glueck und Gute Besserung
    [This Message was Edited on 04/13/2007]
  6. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Are you moving with the military, or just moving to Germany?

I live in Stuttgart but get my mail through the military and have no problems with my Pro Health Shipments coming except at Christmas time, and that's normal for military mail.

There shouldn't be a problem bringing your medications with you as long as you bring your prescription bottles.

Good luck,

Nancy B
  7. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

I know nothing about Germany.

But am so curious, why are you moving there?

June
  8. kcovert

kcovert New Member

You all have been so helpful and I really appreciate it so much!! We are being transferred there because of my husband's job, so we will be there for about 18 months - 24 months and then we will be moving to Thailand for about 3 - 4 years, from there we do not know if we will be going to Belgium, back to Germany, or to the USA. No, my husband does not work in the military, but we do live by some bases, and I do hope to meet some of the people, but I hear that it is really hard to get on site if you do not know anyone. Sorry off the subject. :) My doctor in the US has not been very supportive and so the most I can get from her if anything is a 3 month supply (and that was like pulling teeth) on my heavy meds.

I will keep you all posted and keep coming with the advise if you can think of anything else, it all has been so wonderful.

bobingermany - where does your wife work because my husband is going to have somewhat of a far drive so I am just curious. He has to work in Ludwigshafen. When we did our house hunting trip, we drove around a lot, since we got lost a lot, but it is a beautiful area!!

Thanks again for everything!!

Kathy :)
  9. kcovert

kcovert New Member

Thank you for all the wonderful information. especially too about the Ibuprofen! My husband and I both take it so that is really good to know. What kind of meds are you on? I may take you up on your offer when I get over there for the translations and when I find a doctor. Thank you for that. How far away are you from Frankfurt?? Well we have only a couple more weeks until we are there and I tell you this move is killing me. I thought I didn't sleep before and now I am lucky to get more than 3 hours a night. I will be so happy when the move is over, I just hope that the doctor's will be nice. We had a bad experience when we were there last with the language when we were in southern Germany. We were trying to speak the language and not be an ugly American but they just would have nothing to do with us and all they did was stare and made fun of us, I can understand better than I can speak German. I know French and Dutch since we lived in Belgium for 2 years and I was a French major in college so I love to learn different languages. Hopefully things will be better!

Oh well, thanks again for your advice and I will keep in touch with you.

Kathy
  10. BobinGermany

BobinGermany New Member

No prescription needed for ibuprofen, it's just expensive. When I visit the US I usually buy a few of the 500 count bottles and bring them back in my luggage. I think here ibuprofen sells for around 12 euro for 20 tabs.

God Bless,
    Bob
  11. BobinGermany

BobinGermany New Member

My wife works at SAP in Waldorf. The company is so large it is almost the whole city! 9000 people work in her office there and it's just one of hundreds.....

Ludwigshafen is around 20-25 minutes by car from our house and maybe a little longer from my wife's work.

Maybe we all will meet someday!

God Bless,
    Bob
  12. JLH

JLH New Member

Hello! I see that you are new to our board! WELCOME!!

I don't know anything to help you, but wanted to wish you well on your move to Germany, and hope you get back on the board once your move is completed.

It sounds like you are going to have an exciting life in the years ahead with all of your moves! That must be some job that your hubby has!!!!

Good luck!

Hugs,
    Janet
  13. kcovert

kcovert New Member

Thank you for all of your replies and advice, I have really appreciated them all!! bobingermany, I agree, you me and prickles should meet one day, that would be great! I am trying to stock up on all medication to at least have a 3 month supply so that should give me some time to find a doctor.

I am curios, besides medication, what other treatments do you all do over there and or do you think has really helped? Has there been anything that has come out recently that you think is great and cannot live without?? I am just curious because I feel like I am in the dark ages with my treatment, all my doctor here had me on and offered was medication, nothing else.

Will be in Germany on May 3rd. Thank you all for everything!!

Kathy
  14. BobinGermany

BobinGermany New Member

Please post and let us know when you are here ok? I would really like to get together. Also, maybe we can get Prickles to join us. I have never been near a movie star <smile>

God Bless,
    Bob
  15. kcovert

kcovert New Member

I will let you all know when I get there and everything is set up. We will get together before Prickles goes back to the UK. You all have been amazing!!

Thank you so much for everything,

Kathy