Moving update. yikes!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Nov 21, 2005.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

Slowly, my house is looking like there are more filled boxes than stuff in the house. Very slowly.

Move day is tentatively Dec. 7, I'm waiting for confirmation from the van line today.

A wonderful and dear friend is going to come up on Dec. 4th and help me finish packing the kitchen and whatever else needs to be done. Bless her! My sisters keep saying I shouldn't be doing this all by myself, and they are right, but they can't manage to do the drive to come help. I understand, but it's annoying nonetheless.

I'm pacing myself, resting when I need to, or at least when I realize I need to! My son is here too, and has been wonderful about lifting the heavy stuff and doing runs to the dump, and to the fire station with the toxic stuff you can't take to the dump. My spouse will be home Wed. night for a few days over the holiday and has been assigned the garage and the study. I've already cleared a lot out of the garage, but there's still stuff there, mostly for the dump, I suspect.

Last Wednesday evening folks from the local Red Cross Chapter came with three full sized pickup trucks and a trailer, and left with them filled with furniture and stuff from my house, for their rummage sale. I'll get a tax receipt and they will make money. Win-win all around! It's wonderful to have all that extra stuff gone. I tried to feel sad that it was all leaving me, but couldn't. It is very freeing to get rid of excess stuff.

The best possible gift for me this week is that my school district has the entire week off! We've never done this before, and for me this is superb timing. Such a terrific gift of time for me, to finish up the packing without worrying about work too.

I will survive this, so far have been keeping flares away, and I'm hoping I don't crash and burn when its all done. The Traumeel is helping, along with my other supplements and 'helpers', as is time to rest as I need it. I know there is an end to this stress, and that helps too.

Anyway, just wanted to let you all in on the latest info!

Peace,
    Beth.

2. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

Pacing yourself is great. It's great that you have people helping you also. I hope everything goes smoothly until you are settled in your new home.
  3. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Beth:

I can totally relate. We just moved Oct. 31!! Yes Halloween. Luckily I had my son's costume put aside since he didn't want to miss out on all the loot!!

We moved from a condo to a house. I cleaned that condo for 1 solid month. When it came time for the final inspection apparently it wasn't to their specifications so I had to pay for cleaning anyway!! I'll never do that again.

I was totally zonked. Glad it's over and now just unpacking a few boxes at a time from the garage.

One thing, nice to sort through your belongings and discart or donate so you'll have less junk to unpack.

Good Luck and just think in 1 month you'll be settled

Cindy
  4. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Beth, I went through a move two years ago, so I can surely appreciate the amount of work involved. It's good you're trying to rest and pace yourself and it's great you have a friend to help with the packing. Your son sounds like real a help, as well. God bless him.

When I was preparing for my move, I resolved to pack five boxes a day (no more, no less) no matter how good or bad I felt on any particular day. This kept the workload balanced and manageable and kept me from feeling overwhelmed.

One thing I love about moving is the opportunity to de-clutter. It's such a good feeling to let go of unnecessary things and it's an even better feeling to know these things may become a blessing to someone else. The Red Cross is a good organization to facilitate these acts of charity.

I wish you the best with your move.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  5. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

Take good care of yourself!

Where are you moving too?If memory serves me you are in the high desert, right?

Hope all goes well!

laurie
  6. BethM

BethM New Member

Yep, moving is right up there with job hunting on my list of things I like least to do.

Good idea, to pack 5 boxes a day. That's a good goal to keep in mind.

Yes, I live in the High Desert. I'll be moving to my sister's house in Placentia, in Orange County, until the school year ends in June. After that I'll move up to Pacifica, near San Francisco, where my darling spouse is already living and working.

For people who lived in the same house for 20 years, this is a lot of upheaval and changes! A bit rough on our kids, too, to have the homestead sold out from under them. They are adults, they will have to deal with it, grow up, and be on their own for reals this time.

I've made lists for the next couple of days, stuff to accomplish. Today or tomorrow I need to take my car out to get new brakes. Nothing to do with the move, but one of those necessary things in life. Expensive, too, unfortunately.

I'm so very grateful for these days off work!

Beth.