Mr Bill/ Mad Scientist

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Sep 21, 2007.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hey! Just started a book called "Us Guys" by Charlie LeDuff. About his travels around the country.

He has a chapter on the Burning Man. The book came out last year.

You might want to see if his perceptions agree w/ yours.

In the first chapter he visits Tulsa and reports on a very old man who claims to have been a getaway driver for Pretty Boy Floyd during the depression.

2. budmickl

budmickl New Member

There is a story on zillionaire hide aways. I thought was interesting!

Sergey Brin and Larry Page: Burning Man, Black Rock Desert, Nev.

Since 1999, Google founders Sergey Brin and Larry Page have been attending Burning Man festival, the counterculture extravaganza honoring "radical" self-expression. A mecca for unique art installations, past pieces have included an enormous burning bra, robotic spiders, and a 12-foot-tall mosaic vase with stainless steel daisies. To pay tribute to the week long event, during its occurrence, Brin and Page have placed the Burning Man icon on the second "O" of their Google home page. "Burners" must bring all their supplies including water and food as nothing except ice and coffee is sold in Black Rock City, the elaborate temporary community constructed for festival.

I'll bow out now.

3. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Darn, I missed the enormous Burning Bra. I have seen some spookey giant spiders though. Or, I think I saw them.

Sounds like a fun book. I'm pretty sure that my perceptions would differ from his. It's like the seven blind men describing an elephant to describe BM.

Its sort of obsolete knowledge now, but I was out in desert on first Burning Man held in Black Rock Desert. So some of my memories are different from a lot that I read.

I was with a group called "Desert Site Works" that co-mingled with the BM bunch. We tried a life sized (baseball diamond field sized) Kabballah chart with all the stations played by varied people. I'll never forget the "Sin Station"....played perfectly by this lovely(seductive?) girl who was passing out shots of whiskey:). Somehow, I managed to move on appropriately to the next station.

A "play" was done, wherein all the stages of life were enacted over 48 hours. For the whole time there was always a "director", "actor" and one person as "audience". Sometimes only three people, but sometimes 40 people involved. Very intense at times.

Sorry, just sort of reminescing. A fun spin off of the BM is now active in Las Vegas called "Dark Skies" with two main events in nearby desert a year. Still small enough to be in creation phase. They have a great giant spider. A lot of creative people in Las Vegas nowadays.

Anyway, I'll check for book, thanks, your mr Bill

[This Message was Edited on 09/22/2007]
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

You're not butting in at all, Bud. Always happy to hear from you. Thanks for the info.

You're right, MrBill. Perception is everthing. I forgot to say that the main point of the author seemed to be that the underlying raison detre for B.M. was to creat a place w/o rules.

But it got so big rules turned out to be necessary after all.

He also said B.M. had 40,000 people and was thus the 4th largest city in Nevada. I looked up population figues on the net and there seem to be several cities in Nevada w/ larger populations.