MRI Freaks me out/Valium doesn't work on me-HELP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by elizajane40, Nov 3, 2005.

1. elizajane40

elizajane40 New Member

I am not sure what to do. I need to go get an MRI of my neck and back. I've had one ruptured disk repaired by surgery...and now I may have more. BUT....when I went to get it, the MRI freaked me out and I couldn't stand to be in there more than 2 minutes. Doc RX'd valium (10mgs) but I have had so many kinds of medicine, it doesn't do anything to me at all. He won't RX anything else. HELP! Any ideas. I thought about taking a sleeping pill.
  2. Juloo

Juloo Member

I had to keep my eyes closed the whole time.

If they cannot refer you to an open-sided MRI unit, would it help to put a cool washcloth over your face the whole time?

I asked the tech to do it both MRIs I've had. The coolness calmed me down, and I wasn't tempted to look and get claustrophobic.

3. Empower

Empower New Member

I am claustrophic and had to have two separate MRI's.

The first one (which was a double header, neck and brain) I got through with Xanax and my husband sitting at my side

The second one, I had to do an Open MRI. They say that open MRI's aren't as good as closed MRI's, but I question that.

The Open MRI is tolerable. Ask the person who is running it how long you will be in there, what the timing of each sequence is.

I can't close my eyes in there, it makes things worse.

Try to bring someone with you to sit at the table beside you and talk to you (don't talk back to them though!) It really helps ALOT :)

Try to stay in the MRI, try to refrain from them pulling you out, because it just prolongs the process.

Good Luck and stay strong!
  4. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

Maybe they give earplugs to everyone (those machines are so loud!) but if they don't, ask for them. I've also asked for a towel or washcloth across my eyes which has helped me. I love the idea of it being wet and cool, I'll have to ask for that next time. I just try to keep my mind as busy as possible so I don't think about the actual machine, even if it's just "singing" a song (silently of course!) or repeating the ABC's (yes I've actually resorted to that). I love the word games that we used to play in the car with our kids when they were young, so I do those in my head too. ("I'm going on a trip and I'm taking a ..." then think of something that starts with "a", then repeat phrase and add something that starts with "b" to the "a" item, etc.) Okay, so I'm sure that doesn't make a lick of sense, but hey, it's what I do! :)

Good luck.

Kat
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

Sorry, I can't help but how I can relate and to be honest it was good to hear someone have the same experience as I..

I was so freaked out even with the xanax I told them I would just die if there was something wrong because I couldn't go thur
    having it done..

I do need to have the MRI but just can't stand the thoughts of it..I have bad anxiety problems and am agoraphobic..I know it doesn't hurt and isn't harmful but the thoughts of being flat on my back and closed in just scares me to death..and I know there is nothing to be scared of..I will get in the tanning bed..

I was even scared of the CT Scan and then when it was over I was so ashamed of myself..

Please let me know what you decided to do..To have or not to have..For now I just can't ...

Good luck,
    greatgran
  6. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I'm pretty sure they can do MRIs with IV sedation. They have to be careful about metal because of the strong magnets, but I'm sure they have some type of apparatus to hang a bag on.

You might want to talk to the head technician for your imaging center and ask about the options. Hospital units would be more likely to accommodate the IV since they often have to do MRIs on unconscious patients.

Jan
  7. Banka8

Banka8 New Member

Some people do not have the same results from generic Valium. Which one have you tried?

If you haven't tried the name brand Valium have your doctor RX you a couple and try it before your MRI to see if it works for you. Name brand Valium has a heart cut out in the middle of it so you can see through the pill. It's worth a try.

Generic Valium does nothing for me but the real Valium works for me.

Judy

8. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

You'll have to check out my post from this morning about the MRI I had yesterday. Well, maybe not!! :-(

Don't want to scare you even more! Actually, the test itself wasn't bad. I took the valium, and I already had my pain meds in my system, so I rested, kept my eyes closed and tried very hard not to think about it.

I prayed A LOT!! For every single person I could think of!! Believe me, there are a lot of things you can pray about in 45 minutes!! LOL. It's the after effects that have me down today. But it'll be ok.

I got through it, and so will you. It's one of the least invasive things we have to do to check out our discs. Don't pass this one up and have to go through a discogram or myelogram, ok?? Things CAN get worse, trust me!!

It'll all be over before you know it and then you'll know what's going on. Take care! PG
  9. jake123

jake123 New Member

They freak me out also - had a major episode two years ago. Xanax did the trick after the freak out on day one plus having hubby there.
    I have a claustrophobia problem that I don't think is going away. I've asked my husband not to bury me but put me on one of those platforms like the Indians used to have - somewhere out in the desert.
    Now I have a titanium plate in my neck which I think disqualifies me from the MRIs in the future. Yeaaaaaa!
  10. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

in 99 and I was too scared even to go to hospital.

I found this strange because I've had ops that havent scared me but the thought of going inside this cylinder thing terrified me, and I'm not claustrophobic, least I dont think I am.

Anyway, I wish I had had it carried out because I am lacking in so much info on what is going on in my brain.

I cant have another because I'm in UK and doc wont send me for another one.

So try to think of the information that will be provided if you go through with it and how helpful it might be to you.

I wish I had my chance again.

Good luck.

love
    Rosie