MRI "head"count

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by monicaz49, Oct 9, 2008.

1. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

I keep hearing how many with CFS have small lesions on their MRI. Wouldnt that then make it Multiple Sclerosis?
    Either way....Im wondering how many have had lesions on their MRI.

I have NO lesions (as of my MRI last year).

2. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

> a dozen, some in periventricular area which led to temporary diagnosis of MS.

Yes, Multiple Sclerosis means many scars. The name for MS is really no more specific or meaningful than Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and MS had all kinds of really demeaning names (malingerers disease, for one) before autopsies and imaging technolgy revealed the many scars.

3. 3gs

3gs New Member

several mri's.

told had ms went thru drug treament. made me sicker.

it wasn't ms fibro me/cfs
  4. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

you might want to search it. I nearly didn't take part because I've been counted so many times before.

5. mindblower

mindblower New Member

Yes, some with ME/CFS have unidentified bright objects(IBOs) observed on MRIs. I didn't show these on any of about 3 or 4 MRIs done on me over the last 15 years.

Dr Cheney suspects these IBOs may be mini points of brain injury from micro clots passing through a tiny hole in the heart, called a PFO, then into the brain in some ME/CFS cases. He said deep sea divers sometimes have this same finding on there MRIs and, with them too, mini clots passing through a PFO to the brain are thought responsible.

It's been suggested too that improving glutathione status, however one might prefer to do this, would result in closing any existing PFO and therefore stop mini clots from passing through to produce more injury.

[This Message was Edited on 10/10/2008]
  6. kitteejo

kitteejo Member

I've had three MRI's and they all show tiny bright lessions but MS was ruled out. My two brothers have MS. My one brother's doctor told him his brain looks like swiss cheese. He was so blown away he found a new doctor.

I have no idea what they the lessions are from but a lot of us have them.

7. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

thank you everyone for sharing.
  8. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

i have heard that the "lesions" found on MRI's of CFS patients are transient and seem to disappear (with recovery?)