MRI results~~~~~

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kadywill, Nov 17, 2002.

1. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Well, the doc didn't let me know about the results, so I went to my workplace and pulled the results up on the hospital computer! There are more ways than one to find out these things!
    I have several bulging discs causing nerve impingement, joint disease causing impingement and spinal stenosis which is a narrowing of the spinal canal which also squeezes nerve roots....no mention of the Sciatic nerve where the pain is, specifically....The tests show ALL of the damage is on the LEFT side and ALL of my pain is on the RIGHT side....referred pain? Spinal stenosis usually only occurs in much older people!!! lol Oh well, now I don't know if I need PT or a job change, 'cause I don't think I can stand to push that med cart, bend over to get all the pills out of the lower drawers, manually lift the patients beds (ours are not electric),walk and stand and bend and twist and reposition the patients! I need help on this one~~this old bod is falling apart and I'm only 47! I hate this!

Advice???
    Love,
    Kady
    [This Message was Edited on 11/17/2002]
  2. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Well, the doc didn't let me know about the results, so I went to my workplace and pulled the results up on the hospital computer! There are more ways than one to find out these things!
    I have several bulging discs causing nerve impingement, joint disease causing impingement and spinal stenosis which is a narrowing of the spinal canal which also squeezes nerve roots....no mention of the Sciatic nerve where the pain is, specifically....The tests show ALL of the damage is on the LEFT side and ALL of my pain is on the RIGHT side....referred pain? Spinal stenosis usually only occurs in much older people!!! lol Oh well, now I don't know if I need PT or a job change, 'cause I don't think I can stand to push that med cart, bend over to get all the pills out of the lower drawers, manually lift the patients beds (ours are not electric),walk and stand and bend and twist and reposition the patients! I need help on this one~~this old bod is falling apart and I'm only 47! I hate this!

Advice???
    Love,
    Kady
  3. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

I'd really think about a different job, or none at all. The bulging discs could be the source of your pain on your right side(arse) don't you think? I have scoliosis that the doctor has Never told me about. The only way I found out was through supoened lab and x-ray records! Doctors are swine I'm telling you!
    I think you should go have a chat with the x-ray doc.They know more than you're doc. Also get your x-rays and look at em. Er, I mean your MRI filums. hugs N
  4. sickntired

sickntired New Member

I've been there also, my MRI showed a buldging disk, but my back actually doesn't hurt, my body hurts everywhere but there!! I don't think a job change would do me any good since the longer I stand I hurt and the longer I sit I hurt!
    i'm only 38 but feel like 88!
  5. sheri

sheri New Member

Just came to the computer room and found your results. Isn't it nice to work in a place where you can find your test results without having to wait for a Dr's visit...I'm sorry about your bulging discs.. I wouldn't doubt that they try therapy since it is possible for the dics to (for lack of a better explanation) shrink or go back where they belong. I too have spinal stenosis, which eventually caused drop foot. The excersise I get to keep moving is gardening. As for joint disease, I don't know. My main problems occur on the injured side, which is the left. I don't know why yours is on the opposite, but with back and joint problems, pain shows up numerous places, a person would not connect with the source. I know one of the neurologists told me that I was pretty far from surgery when they diagnosed my spinal stenosis. I am so sorry there are so many things. I know you are young, I was only a little older than you, and as I posted to you earlier, the catalyst of mine was a car accident. However, I do have a 40 year old son-in-law that had no injury and he too has severe back problems, takes injections, no longer can work as nursing, had to take a sit-down job. Very depressed because they want to put rods in his back. Spends his weekends sleeping(on lots of meds for pain) and I think its his depression to. My daughter, a nurse also, is at her wits end. She wants to help, but doesn't know what to do. I know he can't continue on like this. Kady, you may have to make some changes, so you won't accelerate the damage. I am sincerly hoping the very best for you..keep us updated. blessings, sheri
  6. JP

JP New Member

Hello Kady,

Sorry to hear about all the unwanted activity in your spine. I have it too. In fact, my disability is related to my back, not a work related condition...just years of injuries and accidents, car and other. I do what I can. My doc believes that my FM is secondary to my chronic back pain. I work very had with my weight...even though I have some pounds to spare (thyroid disease doesn’t help). I also move about as much as I can. The arthritis keeps me moving. I have a pool and gym in my home, which is a Godsend. I am so limited with this condition that I could not even imagine performing your job. I would be out for the count with one patient. I lift very little weight and I can't even ware pants that fit. Everything needs to be very lose on my backside at all times. I spend my days at home in sweats. I have a $900.00 ergonomic office chair that allows me to spend time at my computer. Oh, the fun of it all.

I wish you the best with this condition. One thing that has really helped with my nerve pain from the stenosis is Elavil. I take 25mgs at bedtime. I can finally sleep and once I awaken, I must get moving. My back pain will not allow me to stay.

Take care,
    Jan (42, by the way)
  7. karen55

karen55 New Member

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} to you. You may benefit from PT AND a job change. Do they still use traction in PT for nerniated disks? They did in the past, BTDT. It is very possible PT will help a lot of your problems/symptoms. I don't think I'm familiar with spinal stenosis, but I am with the disk problems and degenerative disks.

Are you scheduled to see this doctor again? Will he review all of these test results with you? Will he refer you to PT? (Nosy, aren't I??)

Oh - and I'm *only* 47 too, so I can totally relate!

Karen
  8. Jillian40

Jillian40 New Member

Hello Kady -

I sensed your confusion and anguish in your note. You ARE very young, not to mention how unfair life can be. You will get through this somehow. The human spirit somehow endures, and God is one step ahead of you and will bless you through your upcoming challenges. I know this for sure! I am so very sorry that you now must face these additional diagnoses. You do however have something on film now to help you decide how much your body can be pushed, if at all. Before, you were working as hard as you usually did, but without good solid feedback. This much is a blessing.
    Now you know.

No, I don't have spinal problems except for some cervical abnormalities and pain. I do however work full time with my changing and challenging fibromyalgia and arthritis. Though I can't totally know what it is you are facing, I DO very much empathize with you. Once again, I am so very sorry to hear.

What comes to mind in the way of work, if you choose to continue FT work, is to check into insurance companies who hire Nurses to help with claims and paperwork. This would use your nursing knowledge, but allow you to sit most of the day.

My prayers are with you as you make some important decisions this month.

Gengle Hugs, ........... Jillian
  9. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Don't feel like the lone stranger. Everyone is affected by degenerative arthritis...some in their TWENTIES!! Mine is advanced, and I'm 51. I spent most of last winter layed up due to severe and at times nauseating back pain from my herniated discs, which is the same as bulging discs. All you can do is lose excess weight if necessary, sit up and stand up straight at ALL times, do NOT lift heavy objects, and when you DO lift, use your knees, not your back. Aspirin helps reduce the swelling, which will relieve the pain and a heating pad does wonders for me!

Marilyn :)
  10. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Good for you for using available channels to get the whole story. I am chuckling--as I am seeing a Doc of Internal Med., and after he runs tests--I feel like I am having to drag the info out of him. I have been to med records at this huge hospital--no kidding a two month wait. I even have a friend thats a radiologists and she requested them at the same time---no dice. Well my hubby almost had me convinced last week to steal them outta the slot they place them in....lol.
    Instead, I finished grilling the doc, and he was holding the five test papers, I reached out and said, "I would like to have those please, I know you can get copies". I explained to him I was still waiting on a request for my full med records and it had been two months. What is up with this!!! Geez...Hey he looked perplexed,and handed them to me.
    I have spurs in lower back and cervical stenosis (I am only 45)
    ---I know you are hurting! There is some hope...though...with prevention, yes maybe a job change would be good. When mine first flared---I was in severe pain, but it has eased a bit and become more chronic in nature, now. (knock on wood :) Did you get some relief for this pain Kady? Nothing really seems to knock that pain out--I know...but can take the edge off a wee bit.
    Karen