MRI resultsbrain mass

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JimCoyote1942, Jun 12, 2006.

1. JimCoyote1942

JimCoyote1942 New Member

Today I recieved my MRI results. It stated that i have a tiny brain mass next to some nerves. Can anyone tell me about this? Is it the same as a lesion and is it part of fibro? Your help will be much appreciated. I am concerned aa everyone can imagine.
  2. kjfms

kjfms Member

so sorry, of course you are worried, anyone would be. Do you have a copy of your report? What exactly did your physician say?

I am sorry but a mass is not a lot information to go on. If you do have the report and feel comfortable enough to post here what is states.

I will do my best to help you find some good sites for information.

What nerves is the mass next to? Did your physician tell you the location of the mass? Did he/she tell you what size it is or what it is called?

Sending you good thoughts,

Karen

3. JimCoyote1942

JimCoyote1942 New Member

I thank you both for your quick help. I have not seen the doctor. I had to pick up the results at the hospital and will take them to the neurologist Thursday. Here is what the findings state:
    A diffusely enhancing 1.5 x 1.2 cm left CP angle mass is identified. The mass appears to be in contact and is directly adjacent to the proximal portion of the 7/8th nerve complexes. No appreciable mass effect is seen. No other abnormal masses, fluuid collections or mass effect are identified. The sella is normal in appearance. The CP angle mass demonstrates diffuse enhancement. No other areas of enhancement are identified.
  4. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

Hi Jim,
    I know, easier said than done! For me when I am very, very worried about something I find anything and everything I can to find comfort. Talking to a friend or family member that you know you can feel comfortable with or just going on the boards and talking with and to others is very helpful.

Eat comfort foods, take a long hot bath or shower and maybe try to do some gentle stretching exercises. Play music that makes you feel good and turn it up good and loud and sing or even dance a little (gently of course). if you can!

Try and lose yourself in a good book or watch some of your most favorite movies. If they make you cry, that's okay you may really need to right now or maybe they will even make you laugh if it's a really good comedy.
    Most importantly call your doctor and at least leave a msg. for his nurse to call you back to maybe explain this better to you!

I hope that you feel better knowing that we're all here for you and care about you!

Very soft fibro-hugs to you,
    Julie
    [This Message was Edited on 06/12/2006]
  5. JimCoyote1942

JimCoyote1942 New Member

What wonderful help you people are!! Thanks for the encouragement. I will keep reading all these messages over and over, and I will take your advice as to how to cope. I feel comforted with everything that is said. When I start to worry, I will think of you all and come back to this site and read your letters again and again. Thanks a bundle.
  6. kjfms

kjfms Member

Sorry I did not come back sooner forgot to write myself a sticky note...LOL

You have got to love Radiologists they really cover their butts. This one didn't even put the usual possible....or constitant with....

Have you had any smyptoms such as dizziness, headache, etc..?

The Cerebellopontine (CP)Angle is the location of your mass and there can be several different kinds.

Here is pdf article:

http://www.utmb.edu/otoref/Grnds/Mass-CPA-040602/Mass-CPA-slides-040602.pdf

This should get you started. The main thing is try not to worry to much. I know easier said than done. If it helps I have a mass which is a tumor on my Putuitary located in the head and connected to the brain. So I know the waiting is very hard just hang in there.

I am going to do a littl more reading. I post more information as I find it.

Thanks,

Karen
  7. kjfms

kjfms Member

Like Honora the most common type of CP masses are the acoustic neuroma (tumor/mass) and is usually unilateral (only on one side) they are slow growing that is good news.

I hope this helps a little until you are able to see your physician. You might want to write down all of your questions as you think of them. I know it sure make it easier for me. If I don't write it down I forget.

http://www.utmb.edu/otoref/Grnds/Mass-CPA-040602/Mass-CPA-040602.htm

Jim please let us know how this works out. I am sending you all of my good thoughts. I am sure you will be fine.

I am not a doctor either just do a lot of research in my job.

On the matter of mass and lesion no they are not the same thing. A mass is the same as a tumor an abnormal growth in tissue, while a lesion is a pathological change in the tissue.

Take care of you,

Karen
    [This Message was Edited on 06/12/2006]
  8. amyluby

amyluby New Member

Jim this is my first post but try not to worry, I know it is hard. I am 23 and when thet did my MRI I had lesions all over my brain and nothing came of it so try to stay calm.
  9. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

My last MRI was in 2003 and I was told by everyone that my MRI was normal. 2 yrs. later I decided to actually READ the results ansd found otu I have 5 brain lesions.No wonder I feel like an idiot alot.LOL!I questioned the dr. and she said she could ntop answer ANY of my questions and not to worry about it. The papers did say it was common for people who get migraines to have lesions. Not happy about this.
  10. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Hello, Jim. I don't think we've "met" but I can relate to your frustration and anxiety. There are some wonderful, informed replies here already so I won't try to address the technicalities. I like to write about what I know and what I know a lot about is worry. I excel at worry - it's as if a positive result depends proportionately on how much energy I put into stressing - and so I know that that is what you don't want to do.

Even I, Ms. Queen of Worry, am slowly learning this lesson: Whatever happens happens anyway and my worrying i.e. obsessing, spending time researching, going to all the possibilities over and over in my mind, doing What If's.... well, all of the time I spend on those endeavors won't affect the outcome but it will make the waiting times a certain hell.

Now I select an affirmation like, my favorite, "Everything I need to know is revealed to me. Everything I need comes to me. All is well in my life." Say it as many times as you need to when the worrying times appear.

Keep us posted.
    Hugs,
    Marta