MRI show alzheimer's??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by foggygirl, May 22, 2006.

1. foggygirl

foggygirl New Member

I've been diagnosed with CF/FM and the past few months my symptoms have been like a freight train out of control. I've been worried that I'm developing alzheimer's because I've been having very severe cognitive problems. I had an MRI done recently, if I was getting alzheimer's, would that have shown on that test? Any test available to diagnose this dreaded thing? How can I tell if these symptoms are CF/FM or alzheimer's??? What's the difference?

I've been under a lot of stress lately because of the horrible things my LTD is doing and am hoping that these symptoms will pass if/when they finally pay-up.

Thanks,

Foggygirl
  2. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Hey Foggy,

The short answer is no. My mom's doc who is treating her for Alzheimers says the only way to make a definative diagnoses is during an autopsy. He told Mom he thought that might be a little extreme!

My neuro did memory tests and stuff like that and ruled out Alzheimers. Praise God, I really didn't need anything else!!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  3. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I know they look for lesions of some kind.

My grandmother died of what they supposed was alzheimer's but they also said it couldn't be affirmative without an autopsy.

I know that's not too encouraging.

Sofi
  4. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

In alzheimers, plaques form in the brain, essentially replacing health tissue that can carry on funtions with scar tissue.

Many other diseases have processes that can mimic the dementia of alzheimers.

Diabetes, if not controlled can cause cognitive problems, so can thyroid problems, depression and vitamin b deficiency. Any time your brain does not get sufficient oxygen (anoxia) dementia-like symptoms can result.

Do you have a carbon monoxide detector at home? Carbon monoxide poisoning can also cause cognitive problems.

You need to see someone and be re-evaluated based on these symptoms.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  5. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Don't worry I went through the same thing and I also have a family history of Alzheimer's.
    My doctors told me that they can see it if you have it on an MRI.
    I think how I could tell the difference is Fibro fog can come and go, but Alzheimer's continues to get worse.
    Depression can cause the same things.Talk to your doctor about a anti depression drug.I take zoloft now but when I was really bad I took an anti psychotic drug called Gedon.
    Read some of my post if you want to know more.

[This Message was Edited on 05/22/2006]
  6. foggygirl

foggygirl New Member

Thanks everbody. This is just so scary. My daughter has said I used to be "sharp as a tack...now, I'm just...foggy.

mme_curie68: Yes, I do have a carbon monoxide detector, so that's not it.

carebelle: I hope you are right about the MRI would have shown if Alzheimers was there. Although it did show "few foci of abnormal high signal" and was told that that was part of CF/FM...???? Right?

Foggygirl

Foggygirl
  7. carebelle

carebelle New Member

my doctors were from Walter Reed medical hospital
    But I still would advise you to be blunt with your doctor and ask him these questions .Hes the one with the results of yours in his hands.
    good luck
  8. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I vote for the stress as the cause of the intense fog since you mention that you're been under a lot lately. Stress drops my IQ like a stone. No harm in getting some tests done but I'll bet is stress. Somehow we need to learn to go with the flow..................

Marta
  9. foggygirl

foggygirl New Member

I used to be able to "go with the flow" with no problem. I ranked in the top 20 in the country with my job, multi-tasking, stress, long hours, etc, etc. Now I have to remind myself that I'm doing the dishes--when they get done. I think something changes/damaged in our brains that we can't do/handle these ordinary things anymore.

I sooo miss my old self.

This is part of what infuriates me about these scumbag insurance companies. I paid for this policy myself--it wasn't 'given' to me by my employer (not that it should really matter) and now they are making me jump thru hoops while they withold my money. As we all know here, stress is our biggest enemy, so they are actually prolonging/preventing my recovery.

I don't know how some of these people can look themselves in the mirror.

Foggygirl
  10. mariee

mariee Member

Most people do have lesions...it is the type that the docs look for and sometimes where. The lesions can just be part of the aging process..from my neurologis.
    My Mom's doc, though said the same thing....no definite test for Alzheimers....
    Maybe things have changed?
    I agree w. stress and depresssion...these drop my intelligence to zero..if I am not careful.
    Good luck w. insurance. I dropped my case since my symptoms got worse.
    Mariee
  11. foggygirl

foggygirl New Member

I don't have depression--I have such a great family and my boy-friend is so accepting. Other than pain waking me up, I don't seem to have much trouble sleeping. I've been taking Dr. Teitlebaums(sp?) Energy Drink mix with vit.B sup. and that has helped. Now I lose days, not weeks to this fog. Stress is my biggest enemy--it'll give me a wave of nausea, headache,dizzy, then as though someone pulled my energy plug--and I'm down for the count.

A few days ago I raked my lawn for a leisurely 45 min. and by the next morning it hit me like a brick: Major fog, all joints hurt, feet and legs were killing me, headache and this blasted 'underwater', clogged ears, motor noise in my ears thing.

I used to be so active and now something that I used to do in 15 minutes now takes me 10 times that long, then kicks all this other stuff in.

Pain is one thing, but this mental fog just terrifys me.

Is this part of CF, Fibro, or what???

Foggygirl
  12. foggygirl

foggygirl New Member

I don't have depression--I have such a great family and my boy-friend is so accepting. Other than pain waking me up, I don't seem to have much trouble sleeping. I've been taking Dr. Teitlebaums(sp?) Energy Drink mix with vit.B sup. and that has helped. Now I lose days, not weeks to this fog. Stress is my biggest enemy--it'll give me a wave of nausea, headache,dizzy, then as though someone pulled my energy plug--and I'm down for the count.

A few days ago I raked my lawn for a leisurely 45 min. and by the next morning it hit me like a brick: Major fog, all joints hurt, feet and legs were killing me, headache and this blasted 'underwater', clogged ears, motor noise in my ears thing.

I used to be so active and now something that I used to do in 15 minutes now takes me 10 times that long, then kicks all this other stuff in.

Pain is one thing, but this mental fog just terrifys me.

Is this part of CF, Fibro, or what???

Foggygirl