MRI tomorrow Cervical Spine Has anyone had this?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bunnyfluff, May 2, 2006.

1. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

My Neuro ordered the test, with no dye contrast. I'm not sure what he is looking for, but he said something about C4 & C5. Aslo said that if nothing showed up there he wanted to do a brain scan (won't find anything there- LOL!!)

I'm not sure what all this test shows, or what he is looking for, I guess other than damage or blockage of the spinal cord.

Has anyone else had this done?? What did they find?
    I started to get terrible headaches when I exercise that start at the base of my skull and radiate over my head, and make me feel sick for days afterward. I think that's why he is starting with this. I also read that the Babinski reflex makes them look here.
  2. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

It showed 2 herniated discs pushing on my cord so hard that there was almost no fluid around the cord. I also have degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis, facet arthrosis, arthritis, and so on and so on.

I sure hope you have better luck than I did!

God Bless.
  3. sydneysider

sydneysider Member

I think it is wise for your doctor to get this tests.

I started having headaches at 19, and was diagnosed with TMJ(jaw problem). Later I developed muscular and balance problems, and was eventually diagnosed with FM. Finally, at 45, I had a neuro review my symptoms. He did neck and brain MRI, and finally found out that I had two compressed disks, plus osteoarthritus in my neck.

I now believe that a I have had a neck injury since infancy. It affects my arms to some degree. I know now why I was always a slow writer at school.

Be sure to get the ear plugs, and eye cover that they give you. Perhaps take a small towel in case they don't supply the eye cover. The test is a bit noisy, and some people don't like it. I found that keeping still for periods of time was a bit draining, but all I wanted was for the doctors to get some good images and find the problem. I guess my best suggestion going through this test is to relax, and try and imagine that you're lying on the beach or something.

Your headaches sound different to mine. At least your doctor sounds like an OK guy.

Hope you get some answers, and get yourself on the road to recovery soon.
    All the best.
    Robyn.
  4. mrstyedawg

mrstyedawg Member

It sounds like you have a very good doctor. I had my first MRI in 2001. My doctor was looking for cervical spinal stenosis, which I had. I think that they also check for Chiari Malformation like this.
  5. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

it was sent away to check for chiari malformation. It was negative but the checked them for free at John Hopkins (not sure if they still are but it was an on going study) but you may want to send it anyways as it never hurts to rule out another thing. You can have them make 2 copies. AMY
  6. sewhat

sewhat New Member

i had a cervical mri to find out if there was any pinched nerves, which i did. They did a cervical fusion and that solved the pinched nerve. It wasnt a hard mri and it is good that your doctor wants to check everything else out. Good luck
    sewhat
  7. CATS2

CATS2 New Member

TEN YEARS AGO I HAD AN MRI WHICH RESULTED IN A LAMINECTOMY AND FUSION OF C4 AND C5. THE ONLY PAIN I HAD WAS IN MY RIGHT SHOULDER, WHICH WAS REFERRED PAIN FROM MY SPINE. MY RECOVERY WAS SLOW AND I WORE A "COLLAR" TO SUPPORT THE WEIGHT OF MY HEAD WHILE I HEALED. ALTHOUGH I HAD A LOT OF DISCOMFORT, I GOT THROUGH IT AND FEEL GRATEFUL THAT THE TERRIBLE PAIN IS GONE.
    CATS2
  8. Jeanette62

Jeanette62 New Member

I finally saw a urologist for ongoing overactive bladder sx that started after a fall I had. He sent me to an orthopedic spine surgeon who ordered cervical and lumbar MRI's.

I also had neck, shoulder and arm pain, tingling and numbness, dizziness, mild leg weakness, leg pain and low back and butt pain. Migraines started after the fall too. I thought it was all just general soreness from the fall and it would go away with time. I was eventually dx with FMS.

The MRI showed a bulging disc at C5 causing spinal stenosis. Since I'm only 45 I decided on having the cervical decompression and fusion to fix the problem so hopefully I don't have to live with the bladder problems or pain the rest of my life. Hopefully the nerve compression hasn't been going on too long and didn't do permanent damage. Unfortunately there isn't a way to tell before surgery it's just a roll of the dice. Unfortunately there are no guarantees this will fix the problem in every case I can only hope for the best. I do have confidence as I have an excellent spine surgeon.

If your MRI does show any problems it's important to do you research, know your options and find the very best orthopedic spine surgeon or neurosurgeon because having the best makes all the difference when it involves your spine.

Good Luck to you.

Jeanette

I hope
  9. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

soem people get really closterphobic in those...and have panic attacks....so i picture myself off in somewhere else...

the doctor will wait for the radiologist to read the mri films..sothey will take it from there...they can find many things out with the mri's could be anything from buldging disc which i have a good had full and degenerative disce ds at a very young age...sometimes we just buck up and endure the pain and do the best with what we know how....

have fun in the tube....

it gets me every time...but i listen to music...

and mediatate

jodie

10. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

and pretend I'm in a tanning bed or something like that. I think the biggest problem is staying still for 1/2 an hour with being in pain. Not like that table will have a Cuddle Ewe on it or something.

Do they have blankets??
  11. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

I had an MRI of my neck and brain a while ago. I went to a place that has an open one. It was a lot easier than the tube, for me. My head was put in a kind of vise and then an arm swung a the machine over me. It wasn't scary, and the attendant was really nice.. Oh, they found nothing, except spinal stenosis. I was very happy to see my brain - kind of a validation. LOL!

Good luck,
    Terry