MRI - White Spots/CFS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by wbrine, Mar 5, 2003.

1. wbrine

wbrine New Member

I am looking for information if CFS can cause white spots to show up on MRIs. My mother has CFS and her recent MRI came back with a few white spots. The doctor said he didn't think they were related, but I am not so sure. Please let me know if you have any experiences or more information.

Thank you.
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I read quite awhile back, but can't remember where, that bot FMS and CFS patients have white spots on MRI's if they are done at 5 times the normal magnification. Most MRI facilities do not have this capacity. The spots appear just like the spots in Multiple sclerosis, except they are much more numerous, and much smaller (hence the need for more magnification). That is all I remember about what I read, sorry.
    My dx is FMS, so I may have read it in The Fibromyalgia Network Newsletter, which I subscribe to. I believe you can order back issues on their website for just a couple of bucks. We are not allowed to post URL's here, so you'll need to do a websearch to find them.
    Klutzo
  3. sb439

sb439 New Member

I can't answer your question, but I would think your instincts may right. CFS does affect brain function considerably, and there are certainly some people with CFS who have lesions showing up on their MRI.
    Susanne