MRI/X-rays for spinal/sciatic pain today

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lazy_Susan, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Lazy_Susan

Lazy_Susan New Member

I haven't been able to get back in here for a few weeks until now so I apologize if I missed anyone's responses to some questions I had. I can't find the post.

I had an MRI today and I was hoping they'd start at my head incase the neck down comes out fine. Isn't there a chance that if nothing shows up in the spine and sciatic area that it may be neurological and they'd need a brain MRI?

Also, I've been having severe abdominal problems. Might that show on the MRI or not since they're just looking for spinal problems? Thanks.
  2. EttaUK

EttaUK New Member

Hi Susan

I don't know exactly what your pain is so I wouldn't like to say, but I think if nothing shows up the doctor ought to decide based on your symptoms/signs whether a neurological problem could be causing it. If the scan shows a trapped nerve then that will be neurological in a way.

Ask him if he thinks a brain scan or referral to a neurologist is needed. I pestered my doctor till I had one for reassurance purposes (had to pay).

Again - not medically qualified at all so don't know, but imagine that spinal MRI will not show up any info about gastro intestinal problems.

Hope you get some help from the tests - well done for going in the scary machine!

kind regards
  3. Lazy_Susan

Lazy_Susan New Member

Thank you for your response. That was a scary machine alright. I had to concentrate and focus real hard when I felt like I wanted to scream--partly from the pain of lying on my back and partly for feeling like I was buried in a coffin in the middle of a construction zone.

I was hoping for the brain scan to rule out anything like MS or something. I don't know why I'm bothering with this. I won't take pain medicine anymore and most of these pills they put you on are pure poison so what can they do for me? Not much. I'm rethinking treatment, period.
  4. 3gs

3gs New Member

HI SUSAN

GLAD TO HEAR YOUR GETTING TO SEE DOCS FINALLY.

MRI WILL ONLY SHOW YOUR SPINAL ISSUES. IF YOU HAVE AN MRI OF BRAIN(IVE HAD SEVERAL THINKING MS(IT WASNT) PEOPLE WITH CFS ETC HAVE LESIONS ON THE BRAIN!
    ALSO YOU WOULD NEED TO GET SPINAL TAP.

I DID THE 3 DRUGS FOR MS. IT WAS AWFUL AND MADE THINGS WORSE.

YOU HAVE A LOT OF GUT ISSUSES WITH FIBRO BUT NEED TO CK THEM OUT.
    MAYBE SOME OF THIS IS FROM NOT TAKING MEDS AND YOU ARE TENSING UP AND HAVING SPASMS.

WHY ARE YOU NOT TAKING PAIN MEDS? I THOUGHT FROM YOUR EARLIER POST YOU WERE TRYING TO GET SOME.