MRI's for back pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ldoty, Jul 22, 2008.

  1. ldoty

    ldoty New Member

    I was diagnosed with FM in 2006. My doctor has never requested I have an MRI or any other type of testing to see if there is anything else going on. I have pain in my hands and he said it is probably arthritis. I have now changed doctors (due to insurance change) and have requested an MRI. I have a feeling that I have to push my doctor to be aggressive with my FM. Am I wrong in thinking this way? Do others have to do this?
  2. erinwilburn

    erinwilburn New Member

    i have had to ask for every test from all my Dr.s and at first I was told they were not needed but then my hubby and mom became my advocates and the Dr started to listen. it is so important that the testing be done to rule out other problems. we don't know enough about FM to use it as a first and final diagnosis.
    the best thing I ever did was get others involved in my Dr aptts. don't go alone and always ask questions. good luck!
  3. ldoty

    ldoty New Member

    Thanks for the encouraging info. I find it strange that my doctor has not asked for any testing, especially after reading many posts on here. I don't have anyone to become my advocate so I will just have to do it on my own.
    Thanks again :) doctor said I have 16 of the 18 tender points..seems high enough to me to warrant further testing....
    [This Message was Edited on 07/23/2008]
  4. baanders

    baanders New Member

    "diagnosis of exclusion' is a medical term drs. use. So if you want an MRI, request it. I just had one 2 days ago. I'm getting a totaly body bone scan tomorrow. I had bone pain most of this year.

  5. BlueSky555

    BlueSky555 New Member

    I have had, I think, about 5 MRI's and I have asked my doctor for most of them. Back pain means, unless you have done something to pull or strain a muscle, most likely, something is going on if the pain continues for a long period of time.

    I have arthritic facet syndrome, which does not go away.....ever. No surgery can fix.

    If I were you, I would ask for the tests that you might need. If you are having back pain, tell your doctor and ask about an MRI.

    Also, some doctors take into consideration whether the patient has insurance or not; mine does.

    Hope this helps some,

  6. ldoty

    ldoty New Member

    Thanks for all the replies. I am not sure what tests to ask for. Any suggestions?
  7. BlueSky555

    BlueSky555 New Member

    I think it's a "rule out" situation for the FM. If you need tests for the FM, you will probably need bloodwork (full work-up), which will tell a lot. My doctor has checked for arthritis through my bloodwork but it didn't show. However, I do have it. It would be best to ask for referral to a Rheumatologist for the Fm.

    If you have having back pain, then the MRI will show the results.

    If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.


    PS: I see where someone gave you an answer to the other thread, which was a good answer. Good luck, idoty,

    BlueSky [This Message was Edited on 07/24/2008]
  8. Susan07

    Susan07 New Member

    With the blood tests they can rule out rheumatoid arthritis. I have also had an "electrical" (can't remember what this is called )test to rule out multiple schlerosis (sp?).

    Some people also get tested for lyme disease, I think that is a specific blood test - others will know.

    I'm sure others will come up with more.

    Take care
  9. marti_zavala

    marti_zavala Member

    Victoria has a nice post on various things to test for. Kind of long.

    In regards to MRI: Please insist on having the dye. (with contrast). So much can be missed without the dye. I had several MRIs and nothing appeared until they did it with contrast. My sister was the same way.


[ advertisement ]