MRIWhite matter lesion

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ytneluk, Dec 8, 2006.

1. ytneluk

ytneluk New Member

My MRI -test from Neurologist
    Periventricular white matter lesion
    Please expl.to me
    Im so sad
    thank you
    aneta
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Your doc is the one who should be explaining this to you. Many with these illnesses have lesions when MRI's are done. A functional MRI (fMRI) or a SPECT scan is better for defining what types of lesions are present. Your neurologist should be able to tell you the significance of the test findings. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  3. Callum

Callum New Member

when my MRI was done (ironically, because my doctor expected it to show nothing in an attempt to "rule out")

The neurologist needs to speak to you about it. A number of things can cause it. But so you don't get to desperate before you know for sure, these can be caused by an intense viral infection, even as a child, and it is VERY COMMON IN PEOPLE WHO HAVE CFS!

My neurologist showed me the MRI, and I saw all these small white spots, and I freaked! And then he said, "You could have had these most of your life, and if you had never had an MRI, you could have died at 90 never knowing you had them." His only concern is that, since I also have A-fibs, that they have been caused by little tiny strokes. So, he took lots of blood to make sure that I wasn't predisposed to clotting. I wasn't, so he sent me home in the clear.

Best of luck to you. I hope your news is as good.

Callum
  4. she1216

she1216 New Member

Hi,

I have white lesions on my brain too. At first my doctor thought it was MS. All the tests showed that it wasn't, but now Sneddon's syndrome has been mentioned and that scares me. My neurologist told me to take an aspirin everyday because of clotting. I think I have had mini-strokes as well. They just don't say anything. Now I'm going to a rheumatologist who mentioned the Snedonn thing. Has anyone else heard of this?
  5. ytneluk

ytneluk New Member

My doctor when I ask her how I got this she say :You know what is UFO? and of course I know so then she say:so this is like UFO.Then I ask agein and she say:you not gonna undersand medical .
    Of course i looking for new doc
    Sorry that I ask you good people
    what is White Lesion
    I just hoping is not serius like tumor or aneuryzm or brain cancer

thank you so much
    aneta
  6. MelaC

MelaC New Member

It can be very frightening when you get told you have white lesions on your brain and I also think it is perfectly normal to panic, I think we all do.

Mine were picked up when I was having a very severe migraine and was sent for an MRI. I had them in the frontal lobe.

Initilly my neurologist was concerned that I had had a stroke but after numerous test and many doctor visits it was ruled out.I was tested for MS, Wegeners and a whole number of other terrible diseases. Eventually my neurologist said I suffer from vascular migraines.

Strangely enough while in hospital earlier this year my neurologist had a repeat MRI done and he said the white lesions had increased and they also found that the blood vessels in my brain stem were not functioning and it was not getting enough blood.

He started getting worked up which in turn made me very anxious he was saying he didn't know if he should operate. Anyway he had an emergency meeting with a professor of radiology and he said it was nothing to worry about it is a rare condition and I most likely had it since birth. Whew what a relief!!!!!!

I wouldn't worry too much about the white lesions if its anything to be concerned about I am sure your doctor would have explained what was wrong to you.

Take care
    Mela
  7. MtnDews

MtnDews New Member

Aneta, I know the feeling! I was scared too when I got the results of my MRI and found that I had lesions in the same area of my brain. I was having a lot of difficultly remembering so my doctor ordered the MRI. A year later I had another "ischemic event" (in my intestines) and so I asked for my clotting risks to be checked. Sure enough, I have several clotting disorders. Now I take blood thinners as perscribed by the doctor. My neurologist also told me that as we age, many, if not all of us end up with these lesions. It is a scary thing, but really the more the doctor knows about us, the more they can do to help us. At any rate, you are certainly not alone.
    H
  8. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Hi ytneluk - Don't apologize for asking.

I found out a couple years back I have the white lesions on the front left lobe of my brain. This is where I get all of my Migraines and my Neurologists said everyone can get them.

Some doctors even say they come with age so try not to worry but maybe you might want to consider changing doctors.

Carolin