MRSA question for the experts

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kking0412, Nov 16, 2007.

1. kking0412

kking0412 New Member

my son just informed me this has hit his HS and hey are keeping it quiet (irresponsable in my opinionj) I spoke with a friend who is an NP and has a daughter teaching there and she confirmed one case in Kari's class and sent me to the CDC website. I am not going to post the whole thing, it's 6 pages long. but one thing they did mention in people with compromised immune systems. now, they are talking about REALLY compromised, like HIV, dialysis etc. but since some of our immune systems are, well, not good, reading over the guidelines might be a good idea especially if you get any open wounds or anything. the infor is easy to find on the CDC site, there's a special box on the right hand side just waiting for us anxious parent types.
    none of this aounds like a question. so, to what extent do we worry/take precautions?
  2. laura3951

laura3951 New Member

i had 15 staph infections in one year, ended up with ra shortly after. i finally got with an infectious disease guy who told me the risk is low for most people keep your hans clean surfaces as clean as possible there is also a cream called bactriban that the whole family put in our noses for 2 weeks.unless the conditions are perfect its hard to give it but in a gym that is prime!make sure your kid dosen't share towels anything really, i am sure you know all of this so sorry if i am repeating stuff you already know. the doc i saw in atlanta was really knowledgeable in this area, and he did get rid of it for me. i was told that i had gone overboard with the cleaning of my house and the cleaning of my body, i used hibiclense everyday. so i guess its a balance. good luck laura
  3. jewels920

jewels920 New Member

Three of my officers have been hospitalized with MRSA. Two have had it a second time, still being treated, and one transferred his infection to his wife and baby. I'm taking vitamin C, grapeseed extract, drinking green tea, washing my hands, and wiping everything in the office down with bleach.

Apparently, bleach is the only thing that kill it. Not hand santizer. Not Formula 409. Bleach. Yuk. is a good, kansas city based website if you're looking for one.

My friend, who is a Dr., created it.

Love and hugs.

4. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

An administrtor of a good retirement center here in my city said they got it last year and it began going through the facility. Health department called in and had a heck of a time ridding of it.
  5. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

community-acquired (CA) MRSA a few years ago.

When a week of Clindamycin failed to clear my skin eruptions, I resorted to Allicin garlic applications. I had the tablets on hand to injest to strengthen my immune system, but I had a nasty area of cellulitis throbbing on my shoulders. So, I dissolved the garlic in a little water and used a cotton ball to daub the solution on shoulders throughout the day.

By the evening, I felt relief and by morning the inflamation almost completely gone. I can't say for certain that it was due to the Allicin, perhaps the round of Clindamycin that I had just completed had finally kicked in. But the garlic I think is a good alternative option to have on the table.

PVlady, keep in mind that if your husband was prescribed a regular antibiotic for his foot and if he does in fact have MRSA, that will have no effect, may make the infection stronger. Sounds like they tested him, so I guess you'll know.

I read something hopeful on the was in the news a couple weeks ago that scientists had found the mud from a certain volcano in Italy actually had properties to kill MRSA. They are puzzled as to why it works, but it is being studied. There are a lot of false claims, but this one really warrants my interest.
  6. kbak

kbak Member

works against MRSA, but Ireland found a flower that is 100% effective against MRSA

This flower ( inula helenium) also known as Elecampane is available here as a herb. I just bought some and I'm going to make a tincture with it. That way you can take it internally and externally.

I also know that Allimax has been tested to kill MRSA. I think it's ashame that Europe is putting effort into finding alternatives to kill this but the US isn't.

7. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

re. the Irish flower. Interesting and apparently NEW news. Also, the Allimax product available in Europe is Allicin and I think you can get a comparable and stabilized product here in the U.S. Below, I'm pasting the article from the Irish Newspaper, thanks for the info.

16 November 2007

MRSA faces defeat from wild flower

By Ailín Quinlan
    A WILD flower growing in West Cork could hold the key to wiping out the deadly superbug MRSA, it has emerged.

Researchers at Cork Institute of Technology (CIT) have revealed the bright yellow flower known as inula helenium kills the lethal bug, which is resistant to some of the strongest antibiotics on the market.

Inula helenium is a tall plant which grows wild in west Cork and blossoms in late summer. It’s one of two herbs involved in a €35,000 research project carried out at CIT. The other, pulsatilla vulgaris, also proved highly effective against the potentially fatal MRSA bug.

Extracts from both plants were tested against a group of 300 staphylococci including MRSA and inula helenium proved 100% effective against the superbug.

The trials were carried out by postgraduate student Susan O’Shea of CIT’s biological sciences department as part of a two-year research project, under the supervision of Dr Brigid Lucey, a senior medical scientist with the microbiology department of Cork University Hospital and Dr Lesley Cotter, a lecturer in biomedical sciences at CIT.

8. manukahoneytxcom

manukahoneytxcom New Member

Manuka honey will kill this infection.
  9. gasolo

gasolo New Member

Most of the mrsa communitiy aquired infections present to the emergency departments as abcesses. They generally respond to simple drainage without antibiotics. If a person presents with high fever, rapid heart rate and cellulitis then an antibiotic is given. First choice oral antibiotics would be rifampin, doxycycline and/or bactrim ds. If intravenous antibiotics are necessary, then vancomycin would be considered. Linezolid (Zyvox) is probable the most effective oral antibiotic but is very expensive. Topical silver is good at controlling mrsa in wounds. Many wound care products contain silver.

10. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Are you selling this product? That is prohibited on PH. Just a heads up.