MRSA Staph Infection

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by clemde97, Jun 7, 2006.

1. clemde97

clemde97 New Member

Question...... Has anyone with FMS had any issue with the staph infection MRSA? I had rotator cuff surgery in March, at which time I got an infection, and it was diagnosed as the MRSA type infection by a infectious disease doctor. I went through 4 weeks intravenous antibiotics. I now have another outbreak. It's like a boil in my shoulder where the surgery was. I'm wondering if its because of my immune system due to FMS
  2. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

These infections are often transmitted through direct contact in the hospital. They are one of the most common nosocomial (hospital-acquired) infections, and can be spread through improperly cleaned equipment and the hands of healthcare workers. I'm not sure if the incidence of MRSA is higher in patients with FMS, however, it's one of those infections that's difficult to get rid of. It's possible that you caught it in the hospital during your post-op period, and maybe it never fully went away.

Gentle hugs,
    Kim
  3. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Hi - I had a staph infection and seemed to get FM after that. Had chronic breast infections afterwards - my immune system was shot after that. They say that the Staph is forever, so it could certainly keep you down and in need of longer rounds of antibiotics.

I do beleive that the immune system has to fight harder with FM... that is just my (non) expert opinion.

Kim :)
  4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

As all above have said but I want to add that get them to check you out for CD prior to going on any more antibiotics esp. intravenous as it can be deadly if CD has taken residence as well. This is why people with MRSA get into bigtime difficulties as the hospitals don't check. I just lost a good friend due to stupid hospital using intravenous without checking first after she broke her leg and got MRSA/staph. Absolutely insist they run the CD check first and pass this one to all.

Love Anne Cromwell