Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Feb 3, 2009.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

Just wondering how you are doing with the HRT , is it still working.

I found one patch it expired in 2005 but think about trying it , if you are still doing well. I have been reading a lot about HRT and it sure worked for me once and at my age I would love to give them another try.

What did your doc say about being off hrt for a period of time and going back? Guess I am grasping for anything that might help without side effects and I never had any with the patch. Honestly seems thats when all my symptoms started was after I d/c the patch.

Wouldn't it be something if this CFS the doc says I have was all hormone related?

God Bless,

2. greatgran

greatgran Member

My doc won't give me a Rx for HRT (the patch Climara) . He told me HRT worsens CFS in the long term (he went on to explain why but I can't repeat, something to do with the adrenals etc.) and because they suppress the immune system and induce nutritional deficiencies. This was by phone but I have an appointment in 6 weeks so going to try to talk him into letting me at least try them. At my age what do I have to lose..I did mention how they once helped me and he said that HRT and birth control pills certainly can predispose you to getting CFS, I don't believe that cause look how many have cfs and never had HRT or The Pill. We will have a futher discussion when I go back. So please keep me updated on how you are doing.

Hope you are still doing well,
  3. MsE

MsE New Member

Overall, I'm doing better. I tried using the entire 0.025 Vivelle patch, and started cramping a bit, so I went back to half a patch. That seems to be enough to make a difference. I'm not even pretending I've hit paydirt, but I do feel a lot better.

My doctor didn't seem to be a bit concerned about my going back on the HRT patch. He explained that with the patch the estradiol does not go through the liver as it does with a pill. Therefore, some of the problems are dodged.

For instance, the stuff about blood clots evidently doesn't apply when you use the patch--at least not to any appreciable extent--and neither does it bother the gall bladder. Also, the dose I'm using is minute. He said I should have an ultra sound in a few months, but that's all. Also, I don't use the patch five days each month, and I also have natural progesterone cream to use.

My doctor understands the importance of quality of life--especially at my age. I was once more at that "I'll try anything" stage. I'm glad I did. Hugs, MsE
  4. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

Hmmm, then im one of the lucky ones who never took the pill and was about 23 or so when i got sick. i Have never heard of those 2 things pre disposing you to cfs/ fibro!!
    Gran, Not trying to butt in your business, but you need to talk to another dr about hrt. Funny How docs will Prescribe all kinda meds that may or may not kill you or give you an even worse disease than you have, but wont prescribe hrt, Much less BHRT's...... it dosent make sense!!
    I am on BHRT have been for about 8 months, and can only tell a difference in my hot flashes, night sweats, and maybe not quite as emotional,as far as the cfs/fibro.dont know. I'm not hurting as bad,but that could be cause im not working anymore.guess time will tell.Keep on trying for the patch at least, you never know till you try.{{Hugs}} Kat
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

MsE, glad you are still feeling better, isn't it great. Since I had a total hystrectomy 14 yrs ago I am not sure I would need the progestron but guess my best bet is to go talk to a obgyn. Haven't been to one in 14 yrs. so will give it a shot. Please keep me updated.

Kat, I agree with you, there are so many that have this DD and never had the pill or hrt.

Thanks and God Bless,

6. MsE

MsE New Member

No, you wouldn't need the progesterone after the hysterectomy, at least not for the purpose of avoiding uterine cancer. However, sometimes our bodies need extra progesterone as well as estrogen. Testosterone, too, for that matter, but I haven't gone down that road. Although my doc didn't do the blood work to check hormone levels (probably because of my age and Medicare tight-fistedness) I think it should be done if possible. Gives a better picture of what is really going on.

However, I am feeling better on that bit of estrogen, so I'll continue using it unless something happens that makes me think I shouldn't. So far so good. Hugs, MsE