MSG and FMS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by glendamarie22, Nov 7, 2002.

1. glendamarie22

glendamarie22 New Member

This is just a little something my brother sent me, since I'm trying to do the MSG diet from now until probably Christmas. Thought some of you might find it interesting. I started to post the link, but we're not allowed to do that, right......?

Say goodbye to diet soft drinks and most sugar-free foods! Fibromyalgia patients who stopped consuming monosodium glutamate (MSG) and aspartame (Nutrasweet) discovered that their symptoms disappeared completely, or almost completely, within a few months.
    Researchers at the Malcolm Randall Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Gainesville, Florida, studied four women who had been diagnosed with FM for two to 17 years. All four women had tried numerous treatments over the years with limited success. All experienced a relapse of FM symptoms whenever MSG and/or Aspartame were consumed.

MSG and Aspartame are "excitotoxins". They act as excitatory neurotransmitters, and are believed to be neurotoxic when consumed in large quantities. ("Neurotoxic" means it injure neurons, the cells that make up the brain and other parts of the central nervous system.)

The researchers proposed that these women represent a subset of FM exacerbated by excitotoxins, or that the subset may comprise a separate "excitotoxin syndrome" similar to FM. Though further research needs to be done with larger numbers of patients, they concluded that eliminating MSG and Aspartame from the diet of Fibromyalgia patients has the potential for dramatic symptom relief in a subset of patients. (Ann Pharmacother 2001 Jun;35(6): 702-6) Thanks to co-cure.org for this information.

Hugs to you all,
    Glenda
  2. glendamarie22

glendamarie22 New Member

This is just a little something my brother sent me, since I'm trying to do the MSG diet from now until probably Christmas. Thought some of you might find it interesting. I started to post the link, but we're not allowed to do that, right......?

Say goodbye to diet soft drinks and most sugar-free foods! Fibromyalgia patients who stopped consuming monosodium glutamate (MSG) and aspartame (Nutrasweet) discovered that their symptoms disappeared completely, or almost completely, within a few months.
    Researchers at the Malcolm Randall Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Gainesville, Florida, studied four women who had been diagnosed with FM for two to 17 years. All four women had tried numerous treatments over the years with limited success. All experienced a relapse of FM symptoms whenever MSG and/or Aspartame were consumed.

MSG and Aspartame are "excitotoxins". They act as excitatory neurotransmitters, and are believed to be neurotoxic when consumed in large quantities. ("Neurotoxic" means it injure neurons, the cells that make up the brain and other parts of the central nervous system.)

The researchers proposed that these women represent a subset of FM exacerbated by excitotoxins, or that the subset may comprise a separate "excitotoxin syndrome" similar to FM. Though further research needs to be done with larger numbers of patients, they concluded that eliminating MSG and Aspartame from the diet of Fibromyalgia patients has the potential for dramatic symptom relief in a subset of patients. (Ann Pharmacother 2001 Jun;35(6): 702-6) Thanks to co-cure.org for this information.

Hugs to you all,
    Glenda