MSG more info list of fast foods processed foods...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shinlee, Mar 15, 2006.

1. shinlee

shinlee New Member

that "secretly" containMSG. Elliespad and others have provided great info on the excitotoxin MSG. The cure zone website has a new forum in which a poster mentions that she did an experiment on her unsuspecting brother who was MSG addictive. Interesting results.

Take care. Please bump if you see fit. (((HUGS)))Lisa

INTERESTING QUOTE REGARDING MSG...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "I consider it ironic, that the pharmaceutical industry is investing vast resources in the development of glutamate receptor blockers to protect CNS [central nervous system] neurons against glutamate neurotoxicity in common neurological disorders, while at the same time the food industry, with the blessing of the FDA, continues to add great quantities of glutamate to the food supply."
    -- Richard C. Henneberry, Ph.D.
    Director, Neuroscience Program
    Conte Institute for Environmental Health

Bethesda, MD, April 7, 199

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==============
    What Foods To Avoid?

Food manufacturers are hiding MSG so you don't know where it is. Lately, food manufacturers mention a "clean label" when referring to soy sauce and other processed flavor enhancers that already contain MSG in the form of glutamic acid. Food manufacturers use these ingredients so they can claim "no added MSG". Hence a "cleaner" label. They know it's in there, they are just hoping you don't. The following is a recent (and blatant) example of a so-called "clean label":

Unilever appears to be in trouble in Vietnam for marketing a product called Knorr Dam Dang as a substitute for MSG. Unfortunately for Unilever, product was actually tested and found to have 30% MSG in it. Despite clearly misleading consumers in Vietnam, the company representatives argue that they are legally allowed to do this due to current labeling laws allowing it:

(EDITED URLS TO ARTICLES)

See also:[ MSG and Aspartame ] [ MSG as Crop Spray ]

FYI - The following foods contain MSG or its business end - the free amino acid glutamate - in amounts large enough to cause reactions in those sensitive to it.:

The Following McDonald's Items:
    Grilled Chicken Filet
    Hot and Spicy Chicken Patty
    Grilled Chicken Ceasar Salad
    Grilled Chicken California Cobb Salad
    Seasoned Beef
    Sausage Scrambled Egg Mix, Sausage, and Sausage Patty
    French Fries - a "seasoning" made from beef, wheat and milk, processed to break down the proteins into free amino acids like glutamate) is added to the oil the fries are precooked in. US laws allow "natural flavoring" to consist of "protein hydrolysates" containing free glutamic acid. (That's why they do it - to free glutamate to act like MSG so they can declare a "clean label" while misleading the consumer.)
    Other menu items that contain soy sauce, natural flavors or hydrolyzed protein which can contain up to 20% free glutamic acid - the active part of MSG.
    Hamburger Helper Microwave Singles® (targeted towards children)
    Doritos®
    Pringles® (the flavored varieties)
    KFC® fried chicken and most of their other products
    Boar's Head® cold cuts and most of their hotdogs
    Progresso® Soups - all of them
    Lipton® Noodles and Sauce
    Lipton® Instant soup mix
    Unilever or Knorr® products
    Kraft® products nearly all contain some free glutamate
    Gravy Master®
    Cup-a-soup® or Cup-o-Noodles®
    Planters® salted nuts - most of them
    Accent® -this is nearly pure MSG
    Braggs® Liquid Aminos - sold at Whole Foods
    Tangle extract (seaweed extract) - found in sushi rolls (even at Whole Foods) Seaweed is what MSG was first isolated from.
    Fish extract - made from decomposed fish protein - used now in Japanese sushi dishes - very high in free glutamate.
    sausages - most supermarkets add MSG to theirs
    processed cheese spread
    supermarket poultry or turkeys that are injected or "self-basting"
    restaurant gravy from food service cans
    flavored ramen noodles
    boullion - any kind
    instant soup mixes
    many salad dressings
    most salty, powdered dry food mixes - read labels
    flavored potato chips
    restaurant soups made from food service soup base or with added MSG
    monopotassium glutamate
    glutamic acid
    gelatin
    hydrolyzed vegetable protein (found in many processed AMERICAN foods, like canned tuna and even hot dogs)
    hydrolyzed plant protein (found in many processed AMERICAN foods, like canned tuna and even hot dogs)
    autolyzed yeast (found in many processed AMERICAN foods, read labels)
    sodium caseinate
    textured protein
    beet juice - it is used as a coloring, but MSG is manufactured from beets and the extract may contain free glutamic acid - Yo Baby - organic baby yogurt has just changed the formula to include beet extract
    yeast extract
    yeast food or nutrient
    soy protein isolate
    soy sauce
    Worcestershire sauce
    Kombu extract
    dry milk and whey powder
    "natural flavors" - may contain up to 20% MSG
    carageenan
    dough conditioners
    malted barley
    malted barley flour - found in many supermarket breads and all-purpose flours including: King Arthur, Heckers, and Gold Medal flour
    body builder drink powders containing protein
    Parmesan cheese - naturally high in free glutamate
    over-ripe tomatoes - naturally high in free glutamate
    mushrooms - naturally high in free glutamate
    Medications in gelcaps - contain free glutamic acid in the gelatin
    Cosmetics and shampoos - some now contain glutamic acid
    Fresh produce sprayed with Auxigro in the field. (Yes the EPA approved this. It appalled us too.)

Be aware it is not just the brand names mentioned, but many similar products to the ones listed also contain MSG. You must read labels. These product names were given as examples of the many products that contain MSG.

Four good rules of thumb are:

The more salty a processed food is, the more likely it is to contain MSG or free glutamate.
    The more processed a food is, the more likely it is to contain MSG or free glutamate: powdered stuff that used to be food is likely to have added MSG because the original flavor has been degraded.
    The more ingredients in a packaged food, the more likely MSG is present. Read labels carefully if a food has more than five ingredients.
    Do not trust something simply because it is in a health food store and the label states it is natural or even organic.

For more Information:
    MSG and Aspartame
    MSG as Crop Spray

Home
    Why MSGTruth?
    Food For Thought
    American Restaurant Syndrome?
    What exactly is MSG?
    What Makes Me MSG Sensitive?
    Body Systems Affected by MSG
    Disease States Affected by MSG
    Disease Statistics
    What Foods To Avoid?
    What To Eat?
    Remedies
    Related Research
    MSG in the NEWS

©2002-2006 MSG Truth

[This Message was Edited on 03/15/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 03/16/2006]
  2. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I always wondered how MSG got into corn oil...now I know...it's the crop spray. MSG is terrible stuff and good to avoid. Thanks again for a great article. Terri
  3. shinlee

shinlee New Member

the website visited for this article has links to how MSG may be related to numerous diseases including FM:

MSG and ADD
    MSG and Addiction
    MSG and Alcoholism
    MSG and Allergy
    MSG and A.L.S.
    MSG and Alzheimer's
    MSG and Asthma
    MSG and Atrial Fibrillation
    MSG and Autism
    MSG and Blindness
    MSG and Celiac Sprue
    MSG and Depression
    MSG and Diabetes
    MSG and Dizziness
    MSG and Epilepsy
    MSG and Fibromyalgia
    MSG and Heat Stroke
    MSG and High Blood Pressure
    MSG and Hypoglycemia
    MSG and Hypothyroidism
    MSG and IBS
    MSG and Inflammation
    MSG and Migraine
    MSG and MS
    MSG and Myopia
    MSG and Obesity
    MSG and Pituitary Tumors
    MSG and Rage/Panic Disorder
    MSG and Rosacea
    MSG and Sulfite Sensitivity
    MSG and Tinnitus
    MSG and Sleeplessness
  4. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

CFIDS isn't on the list...my son has it, and MSG really affects him. He's sick for a couple of days if he has any. So eating out is chancey. Some restaurants are better than others. He is OK with Mom's home cooking though! Terri
  5. shinlee

shinlee New Member

I've been on other websites discussing MSG and have seen reference to MSG and chronic fatigue. I was just on a website authored by a lady who had debilitating chronic illness for many years. It was when her son developed migraines and numerous other symptoms that prompted her to get to the bottom of their ailments.

It's a very interesting website. She offers a cookbook for no MSG recipes.

My son was dx with bipolar disorder 3 years ago. MSG is implicated in this disorder. He has cravings for certain MSG-loaded foods since his dx. I'm praying that eliminating MSG from his diet will be the answer to this disorder, his chronic muscle pains, prickly heat and an ugly rash he developed all about the same time as the BP dx.

Thanks for responding. My son just turned 17...how old is your son?

Hugs.

Lisa
  6. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

7. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

He started college in Jan. (couldn't go in the fall due to poor health). School has been going OK- he won't have stellar grades but I'm happy if he passes his courses. He had finals this week so we'll know soon how he did. Brain fog didn't help any...it's hard when you have a child who is so sensitive to chemicals, isn't it? You and your son take care....Terri
  8. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

9. shinlee

shinlee New Member

I'm so sorry for what your son is going through - I know how you feel.

Take care dear one.

Lisa
  10. berrytired

berrytired New Member

Thank you for this interesting topic I'm printing it off for my son to have a look also (19). My prayers are with your son...its a tough enough ago.
  11. berrytired

berrytired New Member

12. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I think it more than "ironic" that food processors are trying to trick people into buying food that will be bad for them. In extremely sensitive people, MSG can cause anaphylactic shock. I think they are worse than the cigarette manufacturers.
  13. shinlee

shinlee New Member

berrytired and LittleBluestem 03/18/06 09:05 AM

thank you for the kind words and prayers - the same to you and yours and all the wonderful folks in this forum.

LittleBluestem - it is appalling. I don't understand how the FDA can allow the use of aspartame and MSG (and derivatives called by other names and known excitotoxins) in our food. Dr. Janet Starr Hull has a website and a book that explains how aspartame was turned down by the FDA as a drug and how it was passed as a food substance. Dr. Janet is great - she always emails back answers to my questions.

Pubmed has several publications about the possible implications of MSG in some FMers and there may be a possible link to some dxd with Alzheimer's Disease. If you want to read these articles go to Pubmed and do a search on fibromyalgia and monosodium glutamate and Alzheimer's and monosodium glutamate.

thanks for your posts.

(((hugs)))

Lisa

[This Message was Edited on 03/18/2006]