msg to confusedinPA about gluten recipes

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by blueeyedgrl73, Oct 2, 2009.

1. blueeyedgrl73

blueeyedgrl73 New Member

i thought i saw where you posted on my post on the fibro board about gluten recipes but it isnt there now. are you still interested in posting some recipes? breakfast, lunch, dinner...anything is appreciated! thanks! :) Blue
  2. blueeyedgrl73

blueeyedgrl73 New Member

thank you SO much for taking the time to help me out with this. you are AWESOME! I really really appreciate it! this is something new I am doing and I'm kinda lost. I have read lots of info and think I understand what foods contain gluten but its still hard. Thanks so much for your help! :) Leslie
  3. blueeyedgrl73

blueeyedgrl73 New Member

I really dont know if I do or not. i was diagnosed with IBS in the past but have never been tested for celiac or gluten allergies. when I have read about the symptoms associated with gluten intolerance I have many of those symptoms. I feel best on the Atkins diet or low carb diet...but that may be due to the elimination of breads..hence the gluten elimination in most cases.

I really dont even wanna see a doc about this yet cause I have to see my doc so often and have blood work for RA .... so i just thought i would try this to see if it helps my digestive issues. your help is greatly appreciated! :)
  4. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Sammi's bread has repeatedly turned up with relatively high gluten, on testing over the years. They are not a dedicated GF bakery & most celiacs, people with wheat allergies have been advised that their bread doesn't meet criteria for GF.

Note, the USA is behind many other developed countries (behind Canada & most of the EU) in that the USA doesn't have an official gov't definition of gluten-free. The FDA has been working on this for many yrs. but apparently there have been snags. ;)

The most stringent definition of GF is Canada's. To be legally labelled GF in Canada, a product must meet the criteria of less than 20 ppm on testing. Some of the test results I recall for Sammi's bread ran to the range of > 5,000 ppm.

So you might want to consider another GF bread. There are many out there, as well as recipes.

The recipe for tabouli on epicurious is not a GF recipe. Bulgar is a form of wheat! However, a good GF tabouli can be made subbing cooked quinoa for the bulgar. Diane did say to omit the bulgar, just repeating the warning!

Finally, some celiacs have had intestinal difficulty w/millet. Technically it is a GF grain, however, it is often grown in the same fields, harvested with the same equipment, as wheat and barley. There is some potential for cross-contamination. Millet grains are quite different in shape from wheat grains, however people who are extremely sensitive should look for a tested GF brand of millet, especially in the case of millet flour.

Best wishes.

[This Message was Edited on 10/04/2009]
  5. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Thus far, to the best of my knowledge, Glutino has a good reputation as a dedicated-facility type manufacturer that does regular product testing. In my town, I haven't seen Glutino bread, but it's a small town. We get Glutino GF pizza & cookies though.

We get Kinnikinnick bread imported from Canada & Food 4 Life Bread (nut-based). Both are tasty, but spendy. The Kinnick has a softer texture than the F4L bread.

After 10 yrs in my local GIG (gluten intolerance group) -- Many people I know swear by GF Pantry bread mixes & make them in their bread makers.

Pamela's bread mixes are closing the gap with GFP on dedicated disciples. One nice thing about Pamela's mixes is that her website has numerous recipes, most with pix, detailing how to turn the bread mix into all sorts of wonderful things incl. pretzels & various styles of pizza crust. Pamela uses more whole grain, IME, than GFP does. If you belong to a GIG, have your leader contact Pamela's & they may send oodles of coupons as generous product samples -- at least, they did this for our group. A very generous company.

Bob's Red Mill bread mixes with bean flours are less expensive & IME have a somewhat more limited following, as the bean flours are an acquired taste. (Good protein & fiber, etc.)

Best wishes.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/05/2009]
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

As SnooZQ pointed out, oats grown near wheat or processed in plants that also process wheat can produce problems.

I too was really wondering why oats were suddenly 'OK'... according to
    the reason is
    "Apparently the gluten protein that is found in wheat is NOT the same protein found in oats. This is good news for the oatmeal loving Celiac who can't live without it. Despite this discovery, many doctors are still recommending no oats. The problem lies in the big word, feared by most food allergic folk -- "cross-contamination."

For more information on gluten and oatmeal, here's a link for you where you can find a list of different types of oatmeal and their gluten contents on

hope that helps... it really puzzled me until now, when I took the time to look it up LOL...
    all the best,

7. mysticbrit

mysticbrit New Member

So I'm watching this post with great interest. My most difficult transition is that I hate to cook and you pretty much have to make things from scratch when you're cooking gluten free.

Please, all of you living GF keep posting your ideas.

8. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

I have been following along, thought I should drop in and thank everyone for their ideas. Thank you for taking the time to post. So often I am too tired and just read.

Diane, you were really on a roll. Thank you, I printed out some of your recepies.

For years I knew I had a wheat allergy. No until last summer when I became ill was it upgraded to include gluten. So I had been staying away from most things wheat..... with some occasional cheating, but with allergies your consequences are short term.

With celiac disease, we must be zero tolerance gluten free, or we will be doing harm to our intestines.

I find the label reading so labor-intensive, time-consuming. Many from my GF support group shop with their cell phones in hand and call the manufacturer on the spot if they have questions.

Labels need to be more accurate, no just "vinegar"

Thank you again, June
  9. blueeyedgrl73

blueeyedgrl73 New Member

hey diane...yes I've been following this thread too but I just wanted to post on the fibro board and maybe they have the gluten connection....who knows?

I cannot believe how great I feel since going gluten-free. I accidentally had a gluten product yesterday and I knew not long after eating it that , that it must have contained gluten so I looked up all the ingredients and sure enough it did. (ugh) So, I am still learning but it is interesting to see the effects it has on me.

anyone lose weight since going gluten free? I have lost 7 pounds in a little over a week! woohhooooo!
  10. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I came up with this recipe recently, and it is a winner! My whole family loves it--except the vegans who won't eat it because of the eggs.

1 stick margarine or butter, softened*
    1 15 oz can pure pumpkin (not pie filling)
    2 cups rice flour
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup pecans, finely ground in food processor
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon GF vanilla (I prefer Kirkland brand from Costco)
    1 teaspoon good quality ground cinnamon
    2 teaspoons GF baking powder
    1/4 cup or so of raisins

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly spray 2 (I use the disposable ) 8 X 4 loaf pans.

In a large bowl, cream margarine with sugar. Beat in eggs, vanilla and pumpkin. In another bowl, mix together flour and baking powder. Combine and beat until dry ingredients are moist. Stir in pecans, then add cinnamon. Lastly, fold in raisins. Divide batter between two pans and bake side by side in oven for about 80 minutes or until toothpick comes clean out of center. Hint: At the end I jacked the heat up to 350 so the loaves would brown a bit more.
    Just keep an eye on them!

*I have tried this recipe with both butter and margarine, and I feel that it comes out much better with the margarine. I am not a fan of butter in most of my baking anyway, so it's just a matter of personal preference.

[This Message was Edited on 10/24/2009]