MSM and insomnia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mbofov, Mar 11, 2013.

1. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Well, I just found out that MSM can cause insomnial. It's a long story but I've recently started taking MSM plus using MSM lotion on my shoulder and my sleep has been getting progressively worse. I did not make the connection until I was lying sleepless last night trying to think if I had been doing anything differently, and suddenly thought of the MSM.

Sure enough, I looked it up this morning and insomnia is a very common side effect. I had been taking it a.m. and p.m., plus using MSM lotion at night on my shoulder, and am going to try just taking it in the morning and only using the lotion in the morning.

The insomnia it caused was severe. It felt like when I accidentally ingest MSG. I guess things that begin with "MS" aren't good for me? :)

Thought I'd pass this on --

2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Thanks for your reply. I just never made the connection until last night. But am very glad I did! It was getting pretty bad .... so I am going to just lay off it for a couple of days, see if my sleep improves, and then maybe just try it in the morning. We are so *** sensitive! It's crazy -

Magnesium oil does help my shoulder and my knee, I just thought well, MSM could be one more thing to help. Hah! (I'm a little short on sleep right now :)

Hope you are doing okay -

3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

You are right, our systems are SOOO different. I didn't used to be this sensitive to things like MSG or MSM - grrrr! But am very glad I thought of this - the insomnia was getting very bad actually. I figured there had to be a reason for it.

That's too bad your gf could not tolerate Anatabloc, I hope the new product helps her. Too bad it's pricey, like almost everything that really helps!

4. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

it was like a huge detox for me. I've now got a big container sitting in the cupboard unused.

MSM is POSSIBLY SAFE for most people when taken by mouth for 3 months or less. In some people, MSM might cause nausea, diarrhea, bloating, fatigue, headache, insomnia, itching, or worsening of allergy symptoms.[This Message was Edited on 03/11/2013]
  5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

MSM can cause detoxing, that's one of its chief characteristics, and could cause most of those symptoms.

Unusual for me, it didn't cause any typical detox symptoms. The only bad thing for me was killer insomnia. I didn't take or use any yesterday and last night I slept for 9-1/2 to 10 hours. I'm still catching up, but am so relieved to be sleeping again!

6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I do know that detoxing tends to be a huge issue for many if not most people who have CFS, and you don't have CFS. Of course GSE could help you, but I don't think lack of GSE is what causes the huge detoxing problems for people with CFS.

However, something has changed in my body and I don't detox nearly as much as I used to - it may be the acetyl-glutathione I took for several months, it could be the qigong, I just don't know. I did take GSE for quite awhile and it never helped with detoxing or made it any easier.

I don't know why your friend who doesn't have CFS detoxes easily. Her liver may be overloaded - she may have to do a liver cleanse. I'd recommend my usual for her - go see a chiro who does muscle testing. Mine found my toxic liver several years ago (from chemical exposure on a job I had).

I wish I had the anwers - we all do! :)