MSNBC Article About Bad Vitamins

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pw7575, Jan 25, 2007.

1. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Did anyone see the msnbc article about tests done on vitamins? http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16655168/

It says that Consumer Lab did a test on a bunch of different brands of vitamins and many didn't pass the test. Many had more or less amounts of things in it that they were supposed to and some were even toxic.

I found this very concerning as I was about to order a bunch of new vitamins and I know most of us on here take a number of vitamins and supplements every day. I was planning to order some Vitamin Shoppe brand vitamins but one of theirs tested positive for bad amounts of lead. So now I don't know what brands to buy!!!

Does anyone subscribe to consumer lab? I can't see the full list of what vitamins came out good and bad unless I subscribe which I am not going to do just to read one article. If anyone knows what vitamins were on that list I would really appreciate it if you could let us all know.

Take Care!
    Pam
  2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I'm not a member of Consumer Lab, and don't want to join. We do get Consumer Report's Magazine. We've just been using Centrum Silver vitamins and even my 26 year old son uses them.

Why not just stay with the Centrum vitamin and not worry about the others?

Take care,
    Faye
  3. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

The report said that the Centrum Silver did fine but I dont know if the regular Centrum fared well or not in the report. That is why I was hoping that someone knew the entire list turn out.

Plus I have read online that those grocery store type vitamins like Centrum aren't good quality. So that is why I was planning to switch. They may test well as in they have all the stuff in them that they say they have but that doesn't mean the stuff in them is quality and well absorbed.

The other on the list was one a day women's but I have used that one before in the past and didn't like it. It made my stomach upset and gave me a headache.

So I don't know what to do. Maybe I will stick witht the Centrum for now. Not sure. I do really want a high quality vitamin though as I feel I may be lacking in some stuff.

Pam
  4. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

What are the best quality multi-vitamins to take...and the easiest to absorb? Or ones that get their vitamins in your system the best?

And same thing about minerals supplements. I took calcium tablets once and it felt like my intestinal tract was being ripped open for one whole day. I was writhing in pain, crying in pain from this.
  5. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

I subscribe ($27/year) to ConsumerLab, as well as Consumer Reports and their medical database. I haven't found the Consumer Reports stuff very helpful. A google search will get the same level of info. They seldom actually test supplements.

ConsumerLab tests both randomly purchased samples and samples sent by the maker (the maker pays for those tests). I don't detect any biases.

The ConsumerLab test failed 3 multi's that failed to break apart properly on digestion:
    -Nature's Plus® The Energy Supplements® Especially Yours® Women's
    -Now® Adam™ Superior Men's
    -AARP Maturity Formula®

Vitamin Shoppe's and one pet supplement had lead contamination.

I think about 13 weren't accurate in their labels for 1 or more vitamins. These weren't approved for that reason:
    -Nature's Plus® The Energy Supplements®
    -Especially Yours® Women's
    -Eniva,
    -Healthy Moments,
    -Swansons Daily,
    -The Greatest..,
    -WEIL™ Andrew Weil, M.D. Daily Multivitamin for Optimum Health
    -Nature's Plus® The Energy Supplements® Especially Yours® Women's
    -Win Fuel
    -Hero Nutritionals™ Yummi ® Bear for children

The ones that were approved but not accurate mostly had too much niacin.
  6. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

ConsumerLab doesn't test the same brands each time, and they don't test all the big names each time.

Here are some random results from previous tests:

Coq10, every sample passed.

For calcium, 16 of 17 passed.

Everything passed in their fish oil test, except "Garden of Life", which was stale. They tested impurities and label accuracy.

For Probiotics, they failed Rite Aid, Nature's Secret, Flora Source, DDS and Advocare. 15 others had the claimed number of organisms.

All passed for DHEA except "Only Natural 99% Pure DHEA", which had twice as much as claimed.

It seems to me that those of us who are putting all this stuff in our mouths really need to support this kind of independent testing.
  7. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Thank you Clay for posting this for us! I didn't want to buy any bad vitamins.

Thanks Again!
    Pam