MTX and cold sores

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DustyCreekMom, Apr 16, 2007.

1. DustyCreekMom

DustyCreekMom New Member

I recently changed rheumys because my orig. one wasn't dealing with my increasing pain. He only had me on Mobic for the last 6 mo since my diagnosis (RA & FM).

My new rheumy took me off the mobic and put me on Medrol to get my symptoms under control. Finally, some relief! Though I hate being on steroids, a fear of losing my hair and getting chubby cheeks. However I now can actually walk on my feet in the mornings without crying!!! YEA! And my whole body is feeling better YEA AGAIN! And I'm actually sleeping more than an hour at a time (though that may be from the 5HTP). So after I started feeling better he put me on the MTX. I took it last Wed. morning. Fri. I woke up w/a cold. Not unusual, I have 3 boys in school. Strange though, no one is currently sick. By Sat. I'm a mess. Sun. I woke up with a tiny cold sore for the first time in maybe 10 years. About 10 yrs ago I had terrible cold sores that would grow to the size of quarters on my lips and face(!). I was on Valtrex for 5 yrs (but not the last 5) and haven't had any since. Today I wake up and find my entire upper lip is one big sore and now I have this upper resp. thing going on too. No one else in the family is sick, I can't even recall being close to anyone who is sick (I live in the country, don't get to town often).

Called my rheumy and I'm to quit the MTX go to 1600 folic acid (instead of 800), start Valtrex again for 7 days and get my blood tested for liver & kidney function and blood counts or something.

So.... Is this unusual? Has this ever happened to anyone else? Does the MTX really take effect that quickly and is it just a side effect? Or could it be a coincidence?

Thanks for listening!
  2. jodboga

jodboga New Member

I have the same thing happening , my doctor cut back the number of pills of Mtx. helps some . good luck
  3. DustyCreekMom

DustyCreekMom New Member

4. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane New Member

Probably will take some time to adjust to the MTX. Taking the folic acid will help a LOT. Take it every day. If you are sick the DR will stop the MTX. That is SOP