much pain while reviewing board OOUCHHH!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pacotaco, Apr 17, 2009.

1. pacotaco

pacotaco New Member

I really enjoy coming on line to converse with everyone, but I do wonder how everyone does it with the pain going on~~I can't seem to be on long at all. the first half hour starts the pain in my neck burning so bad , then the headach from that comes, my forearms give me so much pain that my muscles get so weak that i can't hold a glass after, [from the fibro and tendonitis,] I get to wear the pain in my back from my discs is so bad that i have to wait a while before trying to stand up an go lie down. you all know how horrible the pain is so I won't go on about it, but I sure could use some advice on what helps you while you're on the site so I won't have to go lie down then come up again. thanks soo much!~~~~~
  2. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

This is what I do to make my time on the computer less painful.

I keep my computer on a desk and I've invested in a good office chair. On the back of my chair I have a lumbar support cushion as well as a heating pad. I have the heat on low, at all times.

I have a small stool for my feet, this helps keep my back straight.

I have a special key-board, with keys curved inward and a cushion for my wrists.

I have the computer monitor set on top of a lift (some people use a phone-book) so that it is perfectly eye-level.

Every five or ten minutes, I get up and move around. This happens naturally because I begin to feel stiff & sore after 5-10 minutes on the computer and the easiest remedy is to get up and do something different. I usually get up from the computer and do 5-10 minutes of housework, then return to the computer. Working different muscle groups, then resting is the best way to pace myself - the good thing is that at the end of a computer session, I will also have tidied my house :)

I hope some of this is helpful.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  3. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

What I ended up doing was to put a pc in the bedroom so I could lay in bed and use a wireless keyboard and mouse. But the truth is, I'm in so much pain that it's just not enough. Nothing would be.

I rarely ever chat because I don't have the stamina for it anymore. I find it really makes me sick because I have to concentrate alot more. And we're basically talking fast with our hands. I just can't do it anymore. Forums are better because you can take your time.
  4. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I have a laptop that sits on a little tv table with wheels on the legs. It sits next to my recliner chair in the living room. I have a lightweight , wireless, computer keyboard that I hold in my lap. This works very well for me. I am comfortable for at least a half hour or so this way. I sit up for awhile and then put the recliner back for awhile. I am also able to play online games this way. I love to play text twist and spider solitaire. I would never be able to sit a a regular computer console. Also, I keep two heating pads in my chair. One behind my neck and one at the base of my back. I am constantly turning the heat off and on. GB66
    [This Message was Edited on 04/17/2009]
  5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I have a laptop that is sitting on my lap right now. I put a pillow underneath it so it's higher and comfortable on my legs.
    I'm sitting on my heating pad with blanket.

When my pain is really bad, I can't get online. I've had HORRIBLE headaches lately - so no way can I even look at a computer.

I never use my PC which is upstairs which is in our office.
    My laptop was the best investment I ever made!!
  6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I absolutely love my laptop. I have it sitting on a tray with legs as I can not stand to have it touch my legs. I know some people do not like them as they do not have a mouse, but you can attach one to your laptop. I am so used to using the laptop, I now have a hard time using a mouse.

When I was teaching, there was a voice recognition program for students with learning disabilities. You could scan something into the computer and it would "read" the text. I would think programs like this would be a lot more sophisticated now. I don't know what something like this would cost, what equipment you would need.

I do like the Books on Tape when I can't read.

I sometimes get dizzy and have trouble jumping from one sentence to the next, when I am overly tired. I won't even start on what CNN does to me, LOL!!

Good luck.

7. pacotaco

pacotaco New Member

Thankyou for the info on the voice activation! sounds veryinteresting to me. It is something for me too look into.Where do you go to get Books on Tape? And does that mean that all books are on tape?I would appreciate more info please. Glad to know that you have found something that works for you. Have a happy day[or night]!
  8. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I lay down with a light laptop on my stomach. I have a little laptop board under it which has a beanbag bottom.

9. skeptik2

skeptik2 Member

Sure isn't easy!

I have a sturdy outdoor loungechair, many pillows and blankets for my legs and a wireless mouse. My computer is on a nightstand in front of me. It is really comfortable.

My wrists are on my legs, the keyboard on my lap, they are almost even, which cuts down on the hand tiredness.

I don't think I could take a laptop with one of those little screens on it; seems one's dominant hand would get very tired of moving around that tiny screen. I also hate moving from the mouse to the keyboard, so all I use are arrow keys on my keyboard.

I'm reclined a bit with my legs up; keeps the blood flowing, LOL!

10. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

in the dining room--got rid of my table & chairs years ago--we never ate there--it was just piled up with crap.

I get up and move around alot. I've been working with 10 minutes housework, 10-20 min rest on the computer or if extremely tired, laying in bed watching tv or just resting.

I have a lumbar support on my office chair and frequently sit here with the ice pack on my lower back--tail bone or the heating pad in the middle of my back---sometimes even both.