Multiple Illiness's

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ldrerup, Jul 13, 2003.

1. ldrerup

ldrerup New Member

My husband is depressed, bi polor 2 and has fibromyalgia. He says he is in too much pain from the fibromyalgia to do anything but sit or sleep, yet to me it sounds like he feels like a victim of everything, he's always full of self pity and of course everything is my fault.

He takes Gabitril, Lamictal, Klonopin, Tegretol and Visteril to sleep. I don't know what is the depression, what is the Fibro. He refuses to do any kind of exercise or strecthing. Says he hurts too much. Does anyone have this combination of illness's?

Linda
  2. Hippen

Hippen New Member

Yes, fibro tends to cause depression...it is hard for people to let go of how "normal" and pain free they used to be. I have Fibro/chronic fatigue and sometimes i have felt like giving up on life...not anymore. You need to read up on symptoms of this diagnosis...thinking there is info here on this site about symptoms that may help you understand. I know it is hard for you to deal with this disorder as well. I have a seven year old daughter...the guilt i have inside my heart because somedays i am just so sick that I can't play games or go outside to play. I feel that I have missed many things in her life because I am sick. You both need to be strong and have open communication at all times. Good luck hippen
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Can't comment on your husband's problem with Bipolor, but I can relate how he feels if he is in a FM flare. The pain in so intense that the only thing I can relate it too is a very bad absessed tooth, only its not in your mouth!

This pain can be so severe that just to move from one position to the other is pure torture.

Have you tired to rub wherever it is hurting him? A strong rub, (I use one called; 'Banalg') and some heat will help his pain a lot.

I know that most men have a problem with accepting this illness, it causes them to feel less of a person then they were before it happened. It is a devastating life for anyone, but I think men are hit harder than women are in that respect.

That is a lot of drugs that they have your husband on, you might want to call your pharmacist and see if some of them maybe interacting with the others causing him to be so inactive, and contrary too. Its possible.

I know my husband has his hands full when I am in a flare, as I can get cranky with all that pain also.

I hope someone here can relate to your husband's problem better than I . I am not depressed, just get impatient with myself sometimes as I cannot do what I want to do anymore.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. tjlibby

tjlibby New Member

I have lupus,fm, and I also am a bi-polar. It has taken me a long time to except the way my husband does things. I get so jealous because I can't do alot of things. I used to blame him. Please don't take the things your husband says, personal. I had a pity party this morning I was filling my pill box this morning and thinking I have to take this stuff to live. Even though it hurts I try to walk some everyday. Is your husband getting therapy? Go to support groups? I really am sorry that it is hard on you. Do something Nice For You!!!! Good Luck..Teri
  5. Kim

Kim New Member

Linda, my prayers are with you. I suffer from BP 2 along with fibro. The depression side of it can make everything hurt more because of the imbalance of brain chemicals. If his doc can find the right combination of antidepressants to help the depression, he will be able to do more to help his fibro pain (like walking, floating in a swimming pool, light stretching, etc). Please remember, depression is a medical condition that causes the brain to misfire. It causes racing thoughts, aggitation, hopelessness, and other feelings and emotions. It can wear anyone out...especially someone with another chronic medical condition such as fibro. True clinical depression is not "feeling down" or "the blues" that one gets from having a chronic illness. It is an illness in itself.

I'm sorry for all you and your husband are going through and hope you find some support and comfort here.

kim
  6. tandy

tandy New Member

First off.....I give you alot of credit by coming here to ask ,out of concern for your hubby! I can tell you first hand that the pain of Fibro. is horrible!! The first few years were'nt too awful for me.But over the years its progressed to where I feel pain daily,constantly.The first thing I feel when I open my eyes each day is all over deep muscle aches.Lying as still as I can is even painful(throbbing)but to move,or turn over in bed can be hellish!!
    I like to campare my pain scale to that of giving natural birth....that being a 10.My pain most days is 8,after I take my pain meds. it goes down to a 5-6.(so ya see its always there) When I flare up real bad....its at a 10 and I am bedridden.(usually for up to a week at a time,sometimes more)EEEEK!!not fun at all~
    There are varing degrees of fibro......as the same with CF. Some people(bless them truely)are unable to function at all....can't even walk outside to bring in the mail!!Just walking from the couch to the bathroom is exhausting!! Its like when you've ever had a bad Flu.....the "ran over by a truck achiness" that you feel???We feel like that everyday.Its like we have a non-stop flu.And meds. will only help our symptoms but we'll never feel good again. I also have scolisis,narrowing of the spinal canal at the neck area,2 herniated disks,and Endometriosis.I have had episodes of depression since getting so ill.....who would'nt after years of this!? I still do get very down from time to time~ But I try to pick myself up to be happy for my children and myself. Should'nt living be fun &joyous?!! This is'nt fun believe me~ I do try to exersize a little bit.But our muscles are not normal in that we don't get over that "just started" hurt of exersizing. I remember years ago when I exersized all the time(when I was healthy)The aches would subside after the first 2 weeks and it was free sailing!!!but now...I've been exersizing 3 days a week for 20 minutes at a time for 10 weeks and I am still just as sore today as the day I started!!
    Sorry I rambled......Hope this helps to better understand your hubbys condition~(sorry, can't relate to the bi-polar...others here may:)
    [This Message was Edited on 07/13/2003]
  7. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

A suggestion would be a therapist, counselor, for him to talk it out to. With him being bi-polar, I would hope he is allready seeing one.

Just read up on posts here, find more out about all that Fibromyalgia is about.

Good luck to you and your hubby!
  8. 1fibrowife

1fibrowife New Member

I KNOW WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM! MY HUBBY HAS SEVERE FIBRO AND MANY OTHER HEALTH PROBLEMS. DEPRESSION IS A MAJOR PROBLEM. HOW CAN HE NOT BE DEPRESSED? MICKEY HAS LOST HIS LIFE AS HE KNEW IT. HE WAS A HARD WORKER, VERY MOTIVATED. WE HAVE OUR OWN CABINET SHOP. HIS PAIN BEGAN IN HIS HANDS AND RAPIDLY SPREAD THROUGH HIS BODY. HE ALSO HAS ARTHRITIS, SEVER OBSTRUCTIVE SLEEP APENA, DEGENERATIVE DISC DISEASE, DIABETIS, ETC. AT THIS TIME HE IS NOT ABLE TO DO ANYTHING, SOMETIMES HE CAN HARDLY WALK. HE HAS TROUBLE THINKING AND SPEAKING. HE SELDOM LEAVES THE HOUSE EXCEPT TO GO TO THE DOCTORS.

WHAT IS FIBRO AND WHAT IS DEPRESSION IS A GOOD QUESTION. BUT DOES IT MATTER? WHATEVER THE CAUSE HE NEEDS TO BE TREATED. DEPRESSION IS A HORRIBLE DISEASE.

I BELIEVE THE BEST THING THAT YOU CAN DO IS REMEMBER THE PAIN HE IS IN. IF YOU WERE THE SICK ONE WHAT WOULD YOU WANT HIM TO DO FOR YOU. WE WERE JOINED IN MARRIAGE BY GOD FOR BETTER OR WORSE, SICKNESS AND HEALTH. I INTEND TO OBEY GOD! I PRAY EVERYDAY FOR HEALING. AND IF THAT IS NOT GOD'S WILL I PRAY FOR ACCEPTANCE.

GOD BLESS YOU!