Multiple Illnesses Whoa Nellie

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by VJH, Apr 6, 2006.

1. VJH

VJH New Member

Since getting fibro/CFS I've developed diabetes, asthma, osteoarthritis, hi BP, and have had minor strokes. Can fibro/CFS be blamed for all of these other things? It's like a door has been opened and all these other illnesses have come rushing in. I wonder how much of our problems are due to fibro and how many are just isolated incidents? This is getting old. My docs say I have the body of a 70 year old...I'm 54! Anybody have any opinion on all this? Thanks for sharing. Val
  2. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Val,
    I don't think anyone has come up for a cause of CFIDS/Fibro, or the relatinship between these DD's and other illnesses. However. . . .

My DD's seem to have been triggered by a chronic bone marrow infection. I can't take antibiotics and so I just have to live with it (although I take some natural things).

Well, since the beginning of that , I have come down with allergies (over 50), diabetes, hypertension, osteo arthritis, rheumatiod arthritis, congestive heart failure, and some others I won't list. I think the weakening of the body, by whatever caused it, is a main reason we have these DD's, I also think toxicity , even from the air we breathe and the water we drink, then affects us negatively.

In my case, may years of extreme stress had their effect on my health, too. My diagnosing doctor told me I was suffering from post traumatic stress. I didn't pay any attention to her, but, now, many years later, when I have finally faced the reality of what I was going through, I totally agree with her. But then, it is different for everyone.

Good luck,
    Peace,
    Terry
  3. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I have wondered this, too. I also have lots of health problems besides FMS-endometriosis, hypothyroidism, interstitial cystitis, irritable bladder syndrome, loss of hearing (have to decide if I want hearing aids or surgery), restless legs syndrome, heart problems, (I think that all).

I am only 47, but like you, I feel like I have the body of an old person. In spite of this, I try to keep a sense of humor and keep active. I am actually feeling much better than I was a year ago.

Sometimes I tell people that I am going for a world record of having the most things wrong with your body and still be alive!

Ellen
  4. VJH

VJH New Member

Bone marrow infection sounds pretty scary. What does it do to you? I used to think (pre-fibro) that doctors had all the answers. Now I know better. When I was first diagnosed, I was told by doctors that fibro was considered a "trash can disease," and was barely acknowledged. Now they blame everything on fibro.

It appears to me that due to lack of sleep (lack of body recuperating) your immune system never recovers from its weakened condition; therefore, can't fight back, leaving you open to assualt by other immune disorders.

Is the bone marrow infection considered an "immune system disorder?" Many of our other problems are immune-related illnesses.

Stay well. Thanks for responding to my inquiry.

Val
  5. Malteaser1955

Malteaser1955 New Member

Well it seems there is a huge variety of diffeent multiple illnesses that go together with having Fibro/CFS. I was first diagnosed aged 48 with PBC (Primary Biliary Cirrhosis) autoimmune liver disease - yes means transplant eventually - only symptoms ongoing seeming depression and fatigue that got worse. After that and biopsies, then diagnosis of osteo arthritis, fibro/cfs, sjogrens syndrome - drying up of tears, saliva, and other personal bits!! scarred and narrowed oesophagus due to undiagnosed and untreated hiatus hernia - the list goes on.
    It's the chicken and egg story, which comes first, well the symptoms of pbc came first for me, but it's rarely diagnosed early, you can have it 20-years before any symptoms occur.
    Good luck
    Rita
  6. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Val:
    My personal theory is that the FM/CFS wears our bodies out so much that we are suseptable to a myriad of other disorders. I know my immune system has been compromised and the general state of my body is not well.

Just my theory.

n.f.
  7. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Yes, my bone marrow disease is considered an auto immune disease. I got it from poorly done root canals. I have 4 pockets of infection in my jaws from those. It had to be diagnosed by , a nuclear scan an operation, and then a biopsy.

What it has done, is, it has ruined my immune system and triggered CFIDS and Fibro. The supplements I take seem to have kept it localized.

I don't have much of a life. I stay home and only go out for an important reason, and not more than 3 times a week. I must rest the day befoe and the day after I go out, or I get reay sick. Still, it could be a lot worse.

I'm currently going to a Chinese Medicine Dr. for acupuncture and herbs,(since I was told that Western Medicine could not help me), and, believe it or not, my symptoms are lessening. I can read for hours, and I remember what I read. I regenerate more qjickly and pain is a lot less in all areas. so, there is hope.

Take care,
    Terry