Multiple Sclerosis

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PITATOO, Aug 17, 2006.

1. PITATOO

PITATOO Member

I am curious how many persons with FMS or CFIDS have also been diagnosed with MS or diagnosed with FMS or CFIDS before FMS or CFIDS. I have recently been diagnosed with MS. But everything I have read is that there is not one single test to rule out or diagnose MS. So I am not sure if I should start Interfeon therapy? If I do start it and really don't have MS what can happen? Can it make my FMS and CFIDS worse? The only good thing about a diagnosis of MS that I can find is that if needed disability is much easier to get; if it ever comes to that; I hope not. I could not imagine not working. Confused, upset and worried - Bobby
  2. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

A diagnosis of MS is usually made after bloodwork, MRI for plaques on the brain or spinal cord and a spinal fluid test.
    Without all these, I wouldn't accept a diagnosis.
    MS, for my friends who have it (there are a few), started as a chronic migraine lasting for months,facial numbness and possilbe arm or leg paralysis.

(I have suggested to Prohealth that they put up an MS board. I think we need it.)

My neighbor has MS, all the test I mentioned indicated it. She is on Beta Seron (interfuron) she is feeling very well.
    She has an injection every other day and feels fatigued the day after. If she is outside in the heat too long, she begins to get a headache, this usually subsides when she comes in and rests. She is doing so well with her meds. Of the top 5 meds used most often for MS, beta seron is most tolerable.
    P.S. My friend gets meds and support through Pathways, they can ansewr questions and help your pay for your MS meds too.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/18/2006]
  3. FOYBOYFOY

FOYBOYFOY New Member

SORRY TO HERE ABOUT YOUR DX. THEY THOUGHT I HAD IT BUT AN MRI OF MY BRAIN SHOWED NO MS. DID THEY DO AN MRI OF YOUR BRAIN ?????????? GOD BLESS FOY
  4. PITATOO

PITATOO Member

I have had several MRI's and have had a change in the number of lesions over the past two years and have just had the spinal fluid test and that showed an abnormal immune response.

Also have had eye problems for about the past year. They were real bad this am. Very sensitive to the light and quite painful. Could not see right for over an hour, blurring, major tearing and pain also double vision. I have also noticed more blind spots when driving.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/18/2006]
  5. MsE

MsE New Member

Specific blood tests are now available for MS. They show certain markers, I think. But my sis tells me the MRI being most definitive way of pinning down the problem.

However, according to her sometimes a person with MS has not yet developed the lesions on the brain or spinal cord at the time the MRI is taken. That happened to my sis. It took years before she got a true, solid diagnosis. Now the same thing is happening to one of her daughters. If one is diagnosed early, the chances of effective treatment are much better. This makes it very difficult for the patient--and for the doctor.

As for early symptoms: my sis first noticed what she called "tingling" in her arms and legs and her vision in the left eye suddenly worsened. Her daughter is also experiencing the tingling sensation and her legs aren't as manageable as they were. Both women are exhausted much of the time.

Both of these women also have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia.